PDA

View Full Version : March Pastel Strokes

Donna T
03-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Welcome to the March edition of PASTEL STROKES! Those who participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies, they are as follows:

• An individual volunteering to host the monthly project proposes to a guide or a moderator a new photo reference near the beginning of the month.
• The guide or moderator approves the host and reference photo and the selected host posts the project in Pastel Talk and also threads in the Soft Pastel and Oil Pastel forums with links to the Pastel Talk project link.
• Interested participants, create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for discussion.
• The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things! This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Feel free to have some fun!
• You can paint as many versions as you like and they can be any size.
• Both oilies and softies are invited to play.

The picture for this month was taken by a family member on a recent trip to Thailand. Feel free to crop it, change the colors or change it however you want. I can’t wait to see what you will do with it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2007/97763-Thailand.jpg

Bhavana Vijay
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you for hosting this month Donna!!:D:clap: :clap:

Love this picture...looks really exotic, great reflections. Do you know which city this is? I went to Bangkok a reaaallly long time ago, think I was 8 then but I still remember their gorgeous temples. Cant wait to break into my new Ludwigs which finally arrived and give this picture a shot.

ann.bun
03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Its a lovely picture. I think it is of the great temple at Angkor Wat in Siem Riep (?Spelling) in Cambodia. The temples lay in the jungle for hundreds of years until they were rediscovered early in 20th Century. there are a great many temples there, some engulfed by huge tree roots. It's an amazing sight. Great Idea. Ann

Donna T
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Bhavana, I'm not sure which city this is but I can try to find out. I haven't done anything with reflections yet so this will be a challenge for me. I think that some of the colors could be enhanced or it could all be kept very soft looking. Can't wait to hear how you like the Ludwigs.

Donna T

Donna T
03-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Ann, I'm glad you like the picture. I guess it could be from Cambodia. The young man who took it was touring all over in that area and sent pictures to his mother and she forwarded some to me. So it's possible that I goofed up the origin. I look forward to seeing your painting!

Donna T

bnoonan
03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow - though I don't have time to participate, I know everyone is going to have great fun with this. On this very chilly day, it's sure looking hot and steamy in this photo...

Barb

michellej
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Donna,
Great of you to host this month. I didn't get to do the picture for february even though I saved it. My daughter was ill then I wasfor most of the month:( :mad: but i'm going to really try to do this one. I like the atmosphere.

Donna T
03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Michelle, I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. :( Hopefully you are on the mend and ready to jump back into your pastels. I'm glad you like this picture, it does have a peaceful atmosphere. I can't wait to see what you all will do with this! I need to get started too!

Pat Isaac
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Okay, I'm going to give it a try even though I am severly landsacpe challenged.
Thank you for hosting this month, Donna.

Pat

Lisa M
03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Count me in, too. I've never done a landscape before:) . It's a beautiful photograph.

Lisa

Donna T
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Nice to hear you're joining us, Pat and Lisa! I hope you will both enjoy doing this landscape and be inspired to do more. The more I look at this photo the more it looks like something Claude Monet would have done. He had such a way of blending colors to create a soft atmosphere.

Dougwas
03-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello everybody. My name is Doug and I am a newbie. My last art lesson was in 12th grade 32 years ago (you do the math). For tha past couple of years I have been doing some drawing and experimenting in other mediums such as water color and cheap pastels. My wife started buying me some art magazines and I could not believe my eyes when I opened the Pastel Journal and saw the amazing pictures. I was hooked.

I have been stumbling along by my self for a few months without much success. I live in a small town in northern British Columbia so art classes are out of the question so I was looking for some help on the internet. I FOUND IT. When I was lurking around WC I was hooked again.

It is now time to to bring out the sticks and challenge myself by joining in on the March Pastel Strokes (gulp). You all seem so friendly and helpful. I can't wait. Bye for now, I have to go paint.

Doug

Donna T
03-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Doug! Welcome to WC! I'm so glad you're going to join us. This is a very helpful place and I hope you will ask as many questions as you want. It's nice that you are getting back into your artwork! Feels good, doesn't it? Have fun with the photo. Unlike your high school class this isn't for a grade - just learning and fun.:)

M Taylor
03-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Hello from La Penita, I too am new to this medium and having fun, a bit too up tight with it and trying to loosen up. (used to fluids!) This forum is exciting and I will participate in the future. thanks for this great venue. MaralynT on the beach.

Donna T
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Welcome, Maralyn! I hope to see your work here someday. It seems like lots of us are trying to loosen up. This is such a great place to learn about pastels and try different techniques.

Eirl
03-05-2007, 05:40 AM
HELP , any tips please . I am having real trouble with this lovely calm scene. Tried on pastel paper but even though its not too 'toothy' was not able to get the soft look. The teeth sort of makes it too rough, hope that makes some sense! Then had a go with Watercolor paper still unable to get correct effect. As I write this the 'Bad workman blaming tools' comes to mind" It is frustrating as there is so much detail involved in lining up the reflection then messing it all up with the colour. BUT I will try again and look forward to seeing how other more experiences painters treat this. Advice on how to approach task more than welcome. Thank you , Elizabeth

Donna T
03-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi Elizabeth! I'm looking forward to seeing what the more experienced painters do with this picture too. I'm having the same problems as you are, at least I will be because I can't figure out how to start this one!:confused: I want some degree of detail to suggest the shape of the buildings but at the same time I know that I have to keep that part soft and subdued so it stays in the background where it belongs. If I use a toothy paper like Wallis or Art Spectrum I will probably try to put in the sky first on top of an underpainting that is a soft pink color. I might use a darker pink/purple as the base layer for the buildings so it is only a shade or two darker than the sky. Normallly I'm not a fan of finger-blending because I don't like the way the colors get muddy. I would blur the edge of the buildings into the sky with the lightest touch,just enough to get that soft-edge look. Then if I needed to I could suggest some details within the buildings but I would leave the edges alone. I've tried watercolor paper too. It takes a lot of effort to cover the background because of the texture of the paper. Maybe hot-pressed paper is better for pastels because it's smoother? Anyone have any experience with this? As for the reflections I'm hoping we will get some advice from others. One thing I'm trying to remember is that in a photo all the edges are shown with the same degree of clarity or sharpness and it's not so IRL. If we put sharp detail on the edges in the reflection ( that is calm water so this works, right?) there should not be the same degree of detail on the buildings because they are so far in the background and all of that pinky haze in the air would naturally blur those edges a little. I'm so glad you're not giving up on this, Elizabeth. I promise I won't either, no matter how bad mine turns out I know I am bound to learn something. Who picked this hard photo anyways...oh yeah...sorry!:rolleyes: I'm hoping someone will send in an impressionistic version, not focused on details but on mood and atmosphere and then I'll bombard them with questions!

As Bob Ross, the famous oil painter said, " We don't make any mistakes; we have happy accidents." Time for me to get going on my accidents.

Donna

Kathryn Wilson
03-05-2007, 09:46 AM
When I have a photo that I am struggling with, I take it into Photoshop (you can with your own photo editing program) and play with the contrast, brightness and color balance.

In my mind, I saw this with more blues in it, upped the contrast a bit and brightened a bit. You might see it as hot and steamy and add reds or yellows to it.

Experiment with the photo - don't be a slave to it. You can even crop it, rotate it - make it your own.

BLUES ADDED
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/14941-97763-Thailand-wc.jpg

CROPPED
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/14941-97763-Thailand-wc2.jpg

FLIPPED
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/14941-97763-Thailand-wc3.jpg

Donna T
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks Kat! It looks good with blues and I was thinking about cropping it too. Here's a question for you about the foreground: Will it look "off" if we don't put any grasses in and just let the lake be at the bottom of the picture? I was looking back through the Pastel Library and found something by Deborah Secor about foregrounds. I think her article said that you should have something there to keep the image from looking like it is falling out of the bottom of the picture. Are the reflections of the buildings enough to frame the foreground? Personally, I like the more graphic look you get when you leave the grasses out but I don't want to break any
"rules" either!
Thanks for your help,
Donna

Eirl
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Donna thanks so much for your reply. I am glad that I am not alone in having problems though you certainly have more insight than I! I shall have a go , close my eyes and press 'post'.
Kat , thank you for your suggestions, food for thought there. I like the idea of' not being a slave to it think I may go down that road!

Kathryn Wilson
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Donna, the rules are a "rule of thumb" - this is for fun, so go ahead and break those rules (if you think there is one about the foreground) and see how it turns out. I'd leave them out and you can always put them in if the painting warrants it. Less is more, I say!

Donna T
03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Ann, you were right! I just heard back from the guy who took the photo and it is Ankor Wat in Cambodia. Sorry about the mis-information everyone.

pequan
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
thanks Kat for doing that for us.........I am having a real hard time seeing this photo for what it is.... I don't see buildings I see very groomed trees..... :p I hope I do get to do this project and try a new technique as well.....it may never look like Cambodia again......but like you say, "this is for fun"..... enjoy it everyone and Donna thanks for hosting this month's project........wanted to take the time to welcome the "newbies" you will love being here.....we are a very helpful, friendly group of people.........

Donna T
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Linda! I hope you get to do this project, too. It is a good way to experiment and try new techniques. Don't worry about the buildings. Apparently they are in bad shape so if our lines are a little off it won't matter(at least that's what I keep telling myself!):)

Pat Isaac
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, I started mine today and it is different. Doing a landscape will be good for me as It is not my usual subject.

Pat

Donna T
03-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Pat, you do such beautiful work with your oil pastels. I'm so glad you're trying this landscape even though it is a bit unusual. Any hints for the rest of us on how to handle the reflections?

Donna

sparkling
03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi everybody, hi Donna :wave:!

Seems like this is a hard task to do this month. At least it is for me as a beginner. And I am not happy with my work this time.

This photo is beautiful to look at, but hard to draw. Especially since I cannot make out the "center of interest" in it. What is it that would capture the observer's attention? The building? The sky? The (reflection in the) lake? The sun? The trees? None and at the same time all together it seems.
Actually the more I look at it, the more I think that it is rather the colors which are of importance, since they create this atmosphere of serenity and calmness...

So maybe I did wrong in altering the colors too much, but now it's too late to change them anyway :o.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2007/97229-cambodia2.jpg

:) Silvia

PS: Hope I'm going to see some really good stuff from the rest of you folks soon :lol:.

Pat Isaac
03-08-2007, 07:37 AM
Nice warm colors, Silvia. I think you have done a great job with a difficult subject.
I put mine in photoshop and altered the colors too. It is about half done.

Pat

Donna T
03-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Wow Silvia!!! I think you have done a great job! :thumbsup: You're right, this is kind of a difficult subject and I'm trying to figure out what to make the center of interest,too. Your colors are gorgeous and the whole piece has a certain feeling (peaceful?). As a beginner, I think you should be proud of this! Oh, what size is it and what surface did you work on?
-Donna

Kathryn Wilson
03-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Silvia, you did a great job - no need to worry about the color change, it looks terrific.

sparkling
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks a lot, your generous comments saved my day. ;)

Oh, Donna, I am awfully sorry, I always do forget about that.
The size is ap. 8" x 10", Caran d'Ache Neopastel on oil/acrylic painting paper.

Donna T
03-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Silvia, you sure put a lot of detail into a small size! I'll have to try that kind of paper someday. Thanks.
-Donna

tyree
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
silvia...i love the colours youve chosen for yours...good design to it too...tyree:thumbsup:

binkie
03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Silvia, You did a beautiful job!!! I really like the colors, and the reflection looks great.

binkie

pequan
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Silvia: your painting is gorgeous.....the reflections are wonderful!!

wabbitt
03-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Silvia, it looks great. The original colors are a bit muted for oil pastels. I especially like your skyline and its mirrored reflection.

Here's my effort of about three nights here and there. Wishing I went with bigger and less textured paper. Oil pastels on 5"x8"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2007/76057-op-mar.jpg

Donna T
03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Julie, that is beautiful!!!:clap: I LOVE the colors you used and it looks great on that paper. How do you ever work so small? You must be younger and have better eyesight than me! Thanks for doing this one!
-Donna

Pat Isaac
03-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Lovely colors, Julie and I like the texture that is seen.

Pat

sparkling
03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Julie your choice of colors and brightness has added a feeling of happiness to this landscape. :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
03-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, I think this is finished. I actually enjoyed working on this, but don't expect a lot of landscapes from me....at least, not yet....:lol:
Oil Pastel on dark orange colorfix 9 x 10
I messed around with it in photoshop first.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2007/35760-March_PS.jpg

Pat

sparkling
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow Pat, I really like this :eek:!
You created wonderful colors and details. The trees that were so flat in the reference photo have now become 3d and an eye catcher in your painting.
Great work :thumbsup:

Bhavana Vijay
03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Sylvia, your painting is beautiful. Love the pinks, they make it look so lovely. Great job!
Wabbit, what cheerful colours! Looks so fun.
Pat, so beautiful! Love all the colours you have put in, the crop is wonderful too.

Heres mine. Cant seem to get a good picture of it.:( I tried so much. The colours are quite wrong and...well it just looks a lot different here.Its on art spectrum, 9" x 6".

This was great fun and I LOVE THE LUDWIGS!!! :D:D
Donna, thank you again for the wonderful picture.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2007/70937-wat.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2007/70937-march_084.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Bhavan, I like your take on the scene. A moonlit evening, very nice.

Pat

Donna T
03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Pat, you did a wonderful job with this!!! Your colors are beautiful and I like the composition you chose. You will HAVE to do more landscapes...You're good at them!!:) I like the fact that you used orange paper. It really worked so well for this!

Bhavana, your painting is just lovely... so soft and moody feeling. Did you use lots of the new Ludwigs in this? Those trees are dark and they really stand out well. I hope to see more landscapes from you, too! I chickened out on your photo from last month because I don't know how to do glass or reflections...forgive me! :rolleyes: Thanks so much for doing this, it really is pretty!

I am noticing that those of you who have posted have made the photo your own and have not been slaves to the original image. You are such a talented and creative bunch! Now I can't wait to see more!:)
-Donna

wabbitt
03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Donna, but I am old enough to need and use bifocals. Actually, my problem at that size was trying to get definition with sticks as fat as my finger. I used color shapers but I didn't get the blending I wanted until I rubbed with my fingers. There went my sharp skyline. Thanks for the picture. I want to go there some day. It's one of the man made wonders of the world.

Pat I love your crop and how your towers hint at the texture of the rooves. I tried to get "bird holes" into my trees like yours but my trees were smaller than the tip of my pastel, hehe.

Bhavana - yours has a lovely evening look. The second one looks like it might be very early morning.

RooGal
03-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi, I think this monthly project is a terrific concept! I only became a member this morning and am contemplating trying my hand. My art is right up there with Dougwas; it has been many years since I've tried art. Pastel workshops are non-existant here so I am learning blindly in a way. But I do love the immediacy of pastel. Hope to be able to give it a go and post soon.
Cheers!
Roo

Pat Isaac
03-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Welcome, roo and hope you join us.
Thanks everyone for your comments and it is true that everyone's is different and that happens with each months image. It is really interesting to see.

Pat

Donna T
03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Roo! I hope you join us too! You will get a lot of support and encouragement here. Pastels are great to work with and we all love to share tips and help each other.
-Donna

freeo
03-11-2007, 03:10 AM
OK. This is my first post,first landscape and the first time anyone has seen my work. I have only returned to art in the last 6 months after not picking up a brush/crayon for 30 years. I am not happy with any of these interpretations but after leaving them on my desk for some time I thought -what the heck!
I have used soft pastels in the first,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/101946-march_1.jpg Solarize in photoshop and pastel pencils in the second
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/101946-march_2.jpg
and soft pastels and a foam brush and solvent wash and photoshop(sunrays) in the third.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/101946-march_3.jpg
Oh well,in any case I would be interested to hear advise.(i'll post some more of my work when I get a chance)

Donna T
03-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Freeo! Welcome to WetCanvas! and welcome back to art! It's always a good thing when someone returns to art after a long break - I'll bet you missed it! Your THREE pastels are very nice and I'm so glad you decided to post them and share them with us :). I like them all but the third one is so unique and you were very creative with the color scheme. As for advice, I would only encourage you to keep experimenting. Try different kinds and brands of pastels, try the different pastel papers and sanded surfaces that are available and of course, keep showing us your works!
-Donna

Pat Isaac
03-11-2007, 09:59 AM
Welcome, Freeo. So glad you joined us and I hope you keep working. Your pieces are very creative and I especially like the first one. Reminds me that spring is coming.

Pat

wabbitt
03-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Freeo, what wonderful interpretations! Thanks for sharing and welcome to wetcanvas.

sparkling
03-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Bhavana: your pastel looks very romantic and mysterious

freeo: your work is so full with creative energy! Great idea to try different styles on the same subject.

sjb
03-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi all,

I've barely been poking my nose in lately: it's the time of year we in the consulting business call "March Madness" as government fiscal year-end approaches. Tonight I decided that I was going to pick up my Rembrandts and draw something. To my great joy, Donna's picture for Pastel Strokes really struck a chord with me and I started scribbling furiously! :)

So here it is, with great, massive liberties taken.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/94247-angkor_wat.jpg
Rembrandt soft pastels on Canson grey 9" x 12".

Simon

tyree
03-12-2007, 12:36 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2007/65063-thailand.jpg i struggled with my rendition greatly...im still using inexpensive op's..and limited colour too..little more time and i can get the op's i want:smug: mine isnt as creative as the others posted...but here it tis...tyree:wave:

tyree
03-12-2007, 12:40 AM
julie...how so very creative yours is...and such great colour...!!! pat...its a wonderful crop and i love the colour in those reflections...you should do more landscapes!!! bhavama.. those blues changed the whole mood of the scene...a romantic look..nicely done!!! freeo...i like the simplicity of colour and style in the third one...glad you posted and are back into your art..well done!!!! simon...beautiful work indeed!!! tyree:wave:

Pat Isaac
03-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Simon, what a terrific moonlit night. I like the liberties that you have taken.
Great job, Tyree. I like the use of the compliments and the late day feeling that you have.

Pat

Donna T
03-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Wow, Simon!!! That is awesome!!! I love the big moon...it gives this piece such a different feel. Great use of the cool blues too. I'm so glad you didn't feel you had to stick to the original photo or its colors too closely. If you had we would have missed seeing this beautiful interpretation! I'm glad you got inspired to do this and it sure would be nice to see more of your work! :)
-Donna

Tyree, I can't believe you said this isn't as creative as some of the others. This is so vibrant and bright and it has so much energy! To think that you can do this kind of work with inexpensive materials just boggles my mind!:eek: I'm sure that when you get the op's you are dreaming of that your creativity will only be amplified. Thanks so much for posting this!:thumbsup:

You all are so inspiring! I'm about halfway done with mine. I just found out that the theme for my local art group's next show is "reflections." :lol:
-Donna

Eirl
03-12-2007, 02:35 PM
I love them all but Simon's painting is very special really got the mood.

freeo
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. The posted pictures are incredible. It never ceases to amaze me how one scene can be interpreted in so many diferent ways.
freeo

sjb
03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words, all. I just looked at the picture and could see a huge moon hovering over it. I was going to stick to the colours in the photo, but it kept getting darker and darker, making that moon just shine! :) It didn't photograph very well. The original is darker than what I've posted here.

Please let me congratulate Silvia, Pat, Tyree, Julie and Freeo on your use of colour! They're absolutely wild! Especially Tyree's shocking purple. I love staring at it. Bhavana, I love the soft outlines of your buildings.

wabbitt
03-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Fantastic creativity this month!

simon - that is a wonderful moon times two (reflection). I love the mood of your composition and the colors you used.

tyree - I love the texture in your skies and buildings. What do you mean it's not as creative? I think it is more so because of your limited pallette.

RooGal
03-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Love everyone's different interpretations of the same photo. Below is mine. I have a problem with the computer being in one room and the easel in the other. Painted on a pink Canson Mi-Teintes (because I'm saving my last sheet of Art Spectrum Colourfix to do the Diana Ponting workshop. :D ). Ok, I don't see the photo when I submitted this post, so will try again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/103156-workshopmarch_006.jpg

Cheers!
Pam

Donna T
03-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Pam, this is lovely! Your sky colors are so warm and hazy looking. Great job on the reflections, too. I really like the overall soft, peaceful look of this. I hope we will see more from you! Thanks for doing this - it is such a treat to see so many different interpretations. :)
-Donna

Pat Isaac
03-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Nice, Pam. Reminds me of a lazy summer morning. the light is just great.

Pat

sparkling
03-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Simon: The moon is really superb! Wished I had such fantastic ideas...:thumbsup:
Tyree: I like the way you choose your colors. The contrasts are amazing, the colors seem to glow :)

Eirl
03-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok it is confession time. I said earlier I would post my effort; it was rather terrible:evil: SO I did a bit of messing with Paint shop pro and came up with this. Colour courtesy of PPP! I take responsibility for the drawing errors and all. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2007/97712-wcrefl.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-13-2007, 08:04 PM
No matter. I love the twighlight colors. The purples are great.

pat

Donna T
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Elizabeth (Eirl), you shouldn't be disappointed with this. I was secretly hoping that someone would do something with an abstract flavor! The photo I provided has so much abstract potential, what with the oddly shaped building and its mirror-like reflection. You were concerned with lining up the reflection and you did a super job with it. Those bold colors make this anything but ordinary. I think it's really cool! :cool: Give yourself a pat on the back for staying with this one!
-Donna

Eirl
03-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Donna but I did fiddle with the colours on the computer, the original was rather muddy.

tyree
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
:o thanks all for very kind comments..im still out to lunch with mine:p !!! pam..a terrific style..i love the treatment of the trees..and the haze of a summertime morning...elizabeth..great abstract...love the design it makes to the reflections..and the vibrant purples!!! tyree:wave:

binkie
03-14-2007, 02:59 AM
Wow! What fabulous interpretations everyone has done. I love 'em!

binkie

Donna T
03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
I guess mine's about done. Sorry it looks so fuzzy, must be my camera, because it's much sharper IRL. This is on Wallis, 15x20.
-Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/97763-crop_cambodia.jpg

bnoonan
03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Donna - nice rendition - like it a lot! I can feel the heat and humidity!

b

Pat Isaac
03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Really like this Donna and I like the addition of the people. Tropical air.

Pat

Eirl
03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Donna that is terrific, love it.

tyree
03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
donna...its very lovely..especially with all the little extras,,people..pods on the water..extra niches in the bldgs..very nice..tyree:clap:

calice
03-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Sorry, this month has been busy! What a great collection of colors and moods. It is very interesting to see the different focal points. Donna, it looks like yours is the people, right? It feels restful to look at them and I like the definition on the buildings- looks Asian. I hope to post a picture but it may be at the end of the month :)
Calice

sjb
03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
I like the indistinct detail in the buildings and the lilypads on the water, Donna.

alija1001
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2007/78136-Pastel_challenge.jpg
I know that this will not be the best one but at least I did try.
Gill

Donna T
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Gill! I don't think there is a "best" one and I happen to like what you did. I like the lavender and light green combination. This looks serene and peaceful and it makes me think of spring. We have all been inspired differently by this photo. It sure would be boring if all of our efforts looked the same. Thanks for posting yours!
-Donna

Pat Isaac
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi gil,

I agree with Donna that there is no best , everyone interprets the image as they see it. I litke you use of the purple and greens. Very soft and serene.

Pat

tyree
03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Gill...neat rendition..i like that violet colour !!! i dont think there is a best and show here...if there was..i wouldnt have entered:lol: good job...tyree:wave:

RooGal
03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
:thumbsup: I think everyone has done a marvelous job with submissions so far. There is no best, nor worst. The point (for me anyway) is that we tried our hand and enjoyed ourselves. I happen to like bits and pieces of what everyone has submitted (including my own). Point of view, colour, they're all wonderful. :clap: :clap:
For a beginner, such as myself, I can't get enough of the enlightenment and educational fulfillment as I'm getting from everyone here. So thank you all.:)

Cheers!
Roo

wabbitt
03-16-2007, 12:16 PM
RooGal - So glad you managed to join in. Well done!

Eirl - What energy in your painting! I like the blues.

Donna - I like the hint of detail in the old buildings. Lovely colors.

Gill - I like your interpretation. Nice job with the colors.

I hope there'll be more.

sparkling
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Great work everybody so far :clap:

Pam: beautiful sky colour, very close to the original photo
Elizabeth: well I like it (PSP or not), it's definitely modern style!
Donna: Extremely lovely. Did I observe correctly a couple promenading near the shore? (Or is it just my fantasy that has gone wild since it cannot imagine anything else than some lovers in this beautiful sunrise/sunset scenery :lol:)
Gill: good choice of colours, you captured the serenity of this place very well

:), Silvia

hopalong
03-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I have been sooooo busy this week ! But now I"m on a week of break from school. I could not let the week slip by without trying the challange. All of you have inspired me to try this.

Thanks for hosting and the image is beautiful....This is not my best op but I wanted to at least play this month as I did nothing last month!!
Oil Pastel on Mi Tiens paper 8"x10"http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2007/81895-March_2007_pastel_challange.jpg

Pat Isaac
03-16-2007, 06:48 PM
This is lovely, Lindsay. A mysterious. moonlit night. Love those purples.

Pat

Donna T
03-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Ooooo...this is so nice Lindsay! Beautiful blues and purples. I like how you framed the image. Have a great week off from school!
-Donna

hopalong
03-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks Donna and Pat! I intend to use my time off for some art!

Donna T
03-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Oops... I just realized that I forgot to thank you all for the nice comments on my painting. I'm just so happy that you could tell that the people are people! They have no faces, arms or legs and I was afraid they might look like posts!:lol: It has been many years since I've done any figure drawing.

There are a few weeks left for this photo and I'm hoping there will be more interpretations to come. The work that all of you have sent in so far has been amazing! You know, you can send in more than one. :) Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! :clap:
-Donna

sundiver
03-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, I haven't posted in Pastel Strokes for a couple of months. I started the last two, Brownie's honour! But got sick, lost them, found them later half done.
I think I've finally got the flu licked. I admit I haven't even looked in here until today. I enjoyed looking at all your entries- such variety!
Anyway, here's my effort, not great but I'm glad I participated at least. It's o.p. on 6x8 magenta Canson.

Pat Isaac
03-17-2007, 06:42 PM
What a lovely warm feeling Wendy and I'm so glad that you are finally over that flu bug.

Pat

Donna T
03-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Wendy, this is so beautiful and so tiny! I love the way you blended the colors and the green of the grass is just perfect. This reminds me of a painting by Claude Monet. So soft and hazy looking. Stay healthy! :)
-Donna

calice
03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2007/92716-Tropical_cityscape_2.jpg
Here is my attempt finally! Please critique it- I want to improve!
This is on 9x12 yellow Canson with mostly Unison (I did trace the outline in pen)
Thanks!
Calice

Donna T
03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Calice, this turned out nicely! I've never worked on yellow Canson before but it looks like a good choice for this photo. I like the color scheme you used, pinks and purples and grays always look good together. You did a convincing reflection too, something that lots of us haven't attempted before. No hard critique from me, I like this just as it is. This was not the easiest photo to work from ( muted colors, lack of details) so I think you have done a great job!:thumbsup:
-Donna

tyree
03-18-2007, 10:32 PM
This is so great that everyones rendition of this is different!!! lindsay...very lovely...magical was the right feeling!!! wendy...glad your over that flu bug..it took me almost one month to shed it!!! Beautiful colour..has a dreamy feeling to it..very nice!!!! calice...i like the muted colour...its very effective..good job...tyree

Pat Isaac
03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
It feels like it is going to be a steamy day. Nice warm soft color and the yellow paper works to make it feel warm.

Pat

calice
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Donna,tyree and Pat,
Thank you for your encouraging comments. I welcome any suggestions for improvement too. I like the photo- soft landscapes are my favorite:)
Calice

Donna T
03-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi everyone! :wave: There's one week left to send in your version of this month's photo. Surely, someone must have one that's nearly finished. There's still time to start if you were planning on doing this one! :wink2:
-Donna

jmfletch
03-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone! :wave: There's one week left to send in your version of this month's photo. Surely, someone must have one that's nearly finished. There's still time to start if you were planning on doing this one! :wink2:
-Donna

Coming in under the wire! :clap:

I first got interested in art using pastels but wandered off to other mediums such as cp and graphite. Dianna Ponting's recent class in the D&S forum got me interested again. I hope to join this monthly exercise as often as I can to see if I can actually learn enough to be comfortable with them.

This is on 9x12 MiTientes coated with Rich Haze Colorfix Primer. Completed with NuPastels and CarbOthello pencils.

All C&C is deeply appreciated.
Joe
-

Pat Isaac
03-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Nice night time feel to this painting, love those purples. Welcome to the forum. You might consider making the reflections a little darker to go with the dark of the buildings.

Pat

Donna T
03-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Hi Joe! Nice to have you join us. This is really nice! I love the colors you used and the water has a kind of misty or foggy feel. I hope you will keep playing with those pastels and post more of your work.
-Donna

RooGal
03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
:thumbsup: Nice one Joe. I think my reflection was too dark in my submission.

jmfletch
03-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Pat - Thanks for the hint. I will darken the reflection.:thumbsup:

Donna - Thanks for the kind words.:wave:

RooGal - Maybe we could meet in the middle!:D

Joe

sparkling
03-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Joe, I like your rendering the way it is :clap:

I do not know how much you were originally going for abstraction, but I love your choice of cool/icy colors since they fit together so well with those soft reflections on the lake - both leave such an interesting impression of iciness. It reminds me of an open-air ice-rink in a tropical region. And to me that's not only abstraction, it's a statement on climate change ... :thumbsup:

Hope my interpretation of your painting didn't bother you, it's just my 2 cents.

jmfletch
03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Well Thank you Silvia! :thumbsup: I don't think I was intentionally going for all of that. My only intent was to use cool colors in the background and warmer colors in the foreground. Just wanted to keep practicing pastels using my vision of the reference.

Again, thanks for the kind words.:thumbsup:
Joe
P. S. I have darkened the reflections a bit. Here is the update. Hope you still like it.

Donna T
03-27-2007, 10:40 AM
It looks very dramatic, Joe! I liked the first one too but this one is a real attention-getter. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Donna

jmfletch
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
It looks very dramatic, Joe! I liked the first one too but this one is a real attention-getter. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Donna
Thanks!!

Part of the difference may be due to using a different camera! All I changed in the picture was the reflection...and the camera. In RL it is probably closer to the more recent post but somewhere in between the two.

Joe

Pat Isaac
03-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Looks really great now and is very dramatic.

Pat

BetsyPriesing
03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello Everyone,

this is my first post and 5th pastel including college....20 years ago. The others were done about 4 years ago.

It looks dark....my camera is not great for this type of photo...or maybe its the operator. :o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2007/103534-taj_mahal_pastel_2.JPG

This is on burnt orange Mi-teintes with my new rembrandt pastels, (birthday gift) 8"X14"

thanks for looking :eek:

Betsy

Pat Isaac
03-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Welcome, Betsy. this has a very n ice summer humid feel. Your paper color was a good choice .

Pat

Donna T
03-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi Betsy! Welcome!!! Your pastel is beautiful and I'm so glad you posted it! I really like your loose, open strokes and how the colors are woven together. It sure doesn't look like you are just getting started with pastels but now you are hooked and will have to do more! :wink2: Great job!
-Donna

BetsyPriesing
03-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your reply Donna & Pat.

Like several people here, I haven't done anything because of health and taking care of 3 kids. They have grown up and I now have time. I had a nice set of pastel's from college days that were required but lost those in all the moves and time. I major printmaking, but never finished...because of my health.

I'm very excited to begin again.

I'm amazed at the incredible differences of all the artists and the quality of works. This site is so incouraging.

Please feel free to critique because in art school it was a necessary hourly thing. :D

betsy

sjb
03-30-2007, 12:23 AM
I really like the hatching in the sky and the continuation of it in the reflection. I haven't tried that yet myself (I'm still new at this), but it really works for me in your painting. If I had to point to anything as something to take another look at, it would be the trees. They look great, but not very tropical. :)

Simon

BetsyPriesing
03-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Simon Yes....I see. It looks like i automatically put in native trees to my area....because they appear the same way in picture.....woops. Another case for studing the native flora when painting from pictures.....:o

Thank you very much

Donna T
03-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Since this month is nearly over I want to say thanks to everyone who participated. I truly enjoyed seeing all the wonderful work that you posted and you should all be very proud of your efforts! I'm told that CJ will be our host for April so lets keep those pastels handy and get ready for the next challenge! :wave:

Donna T

Pat Isaac
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Thank YOU for hosting, Donna. This one was a challenge for me.

Pat

jshelby
03-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Donna, thanks for putting up the beautiful photo. I kept looking at it, trying to figure out how to paint it, then Wendy put her beautiful painting up. That said it all. All of the paintings were beautiful, but Wendy's is how I would have liked to have done the painting If I were brave enough. Thanks to everyone.

Jan

artyscope
04-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi everybody,
I have been hibernating for the past few months and thought I would somehow make it to the March pastel forum. Well, a bit late but I would like to post my version of the lovely reference photo by Donna.Soft pastels on yellow ochre pastel paper 8" x12". Loved viewing all the different versions. C & C welcome.

Donna T
04-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Artyscope! Better late than never! This is very nice - I like the warm colors you used. The building just glows. Thanks for sending it in!

Donna T

Pat Isaac
04-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Nice warm glowing color. Reminds a bit of fall.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
04-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Sending this to the Pastel Forum Library.

Pabs
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi all - I'm a really new, newby, but have been having a go with my pastels for a year or so. I'm a bit like Dougwas, not done anything for years;
last time I had a go was when I got an old fashioned English "O" Level in art in 197........ anyone remember those? - well, you get the picture (sorry, no pun intended!).
I will have a go at this in private, it does seem a really good excercise, and when I'm a little more confident, and I find a subject I like, then I would like to submit.
At the moment I love using Winsor & Newton soft pastels coupled with Canson Mi-teintes paper, usually doing a sort of impressionistic style.
That's my artistic life story for now. Will look in again later.

Regards,
Pabs

Pat Isaac
04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Welcome, Pabs :wave: and I hope you'll join us soon. It's a great place.

Pat

sekulastudio
04-13-2007, 06:59 AM
I am brand spanking new to pastels and could sure use your recommendations. Which brand of pastels do you feel are best? Could you recommend the best "how to" book(s) and DVDs? Thank you so very much!
Gaye