PDA

View Full Version : Delicate ceramicists????

roachford
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi all.

I have been doing some slip work - dipping bundles of paper into porcelain slip and then firing them. This has been leaving me with ultra delicate shards of porcelain that are a treat to look at.

What I wondered (and this is in conjunction with my paper based research) does anyone know of any other ceramicist who work with super delicate ceramics??

dan

beautifulfreak
02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't remember her name(she might be dead now she was elderly when I heard of her) but there is a woman artist that dips lace to make gowned figurines. She gave workshops on how to make these figures perhaps you can find reference to her or someone working in a similar vain.

Also when I was in college there was a fellow student making thin walled 'dinosaur eggs' by dipping balloons in slip. They were very delicate.

Also sometime in the past I read some posts on the clayart listserve about some artists using slip dipped muslem and burlap to make sculpture. You can access the clayart archive at http://www.potters.org

Hope something in this mismash of half remember memories helps you.

Sarah Judson
03-16-2007, 01:20 AM
One way to make thin, slip-dipped shapes that are less fragile is to use fiberglass instead of paper or fabric. Probably should wear gloves to handle it, and not breathe the dust if there is any. The fiberglass fibers fuse with the clay in the firing and don't leave hollow spaces like the paper or fabric would.