PDA

View Full Version : Need help ....

paintergirl
04-20-2002, 12:05 PM
I 'wrapped' this one up in November BUT ... I finally gave up on the crate in this one ... for some reason I couldnt get the perspective in my head...any suggestions? My original intent was to have the knee cocked on a bale of hay , then I settled on the crate but ....

Sorry about the scan...
The scan came out darker, and with the funny faint lines on the picture. The grass actually turned white in the scan! It appears 'fuzzier' then it is...sighing. In real life the color is quite pure...I also lost the golds in the dried grasses, rope and chaps ...

Arrrrghhhhhhh!!!!!
Thanks, Julia

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2002/[email protected]

paintergirl
04-20-2002, 12:24 PM
...I will re-scan this today ...this one is actually kind of hard to look at...:(

gargoil
04-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi Paintergirl,

This is beautiful, beautiful. I get a real sense of the atmosphere, the pace of the setting. As for the crate, I've thought for a while on it and came to the conclusion that (I think) you needed to see some of the back-side of it.

BUT THEN I thought again - plain-as-day it's perfect the way it is!!! Perhaps it seems as though it should have the back side showing but if it's realism you're after then leave the way it is. If you had may be a tiny show of the rear side of the crate you may be attracting too much attention to it. Hope some of this helps?

Is the grass painted too light? It's hard to tell from this reproduction. It shows that it was a blistering hot sunny day (I can just feel it now!) Is it the same temp as the clothing which is also in the sun?

Hope to see more of your work - keep it up :p
Gargoil
:)

KarenU
04-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Paintergirl.....my oh my, that is one beautiful painting!

I don't see a thing wrong with the crate at all...there is such a small portion of it showing that if you put anymore detail into it, I think it would then become a distraction to the wonderful job you have done rendering the chaps and boots!

Great work!

Karen

paintergirl
04-23-2002, 03:02 PM
Thank you so much gargoil and karen ...

My scanning/editing abilities leave so much to be desired, I lost the pale golds and pale blue/greens in the grasses with the scanning.

I am in a quandery with my painting this year...dont want to do photorealism yet want things to be very 3-D (let me know if this makes any sense at all because as I type this I realize it doesnt make sense to me ...LOL)

The crate really worried me...it seemed so flat or one dimensional ...I was hoping to capture the texture of the denim and chaps, that kind of worn dusty look they get about them. My tiny head is a cropped version of the first one I did in this topic...Have one more 'chaps' painting on the go then this area of interest will be retired...or people will think I have developed a fixation for men's bottoms...LOL

paintergirl
04-23-2002, 03:10 PM
;) Thought I lost the first response but it did post...dont want to repreat myself...LOL

Andrew
04-23-2002, 03:24 PM
My only qualm is compositional in nature. I like the thought of the cocked leg. IMO, the composition would be stronger if the POV was changed a tad to individualize the legs. As they are now they appear as one mass.

Just my view.

Andrew

paintergirl
04-23-2002, 03:35 PM
great point Andrew...I was wishing I had a live model when it came to the knee area too...Im wanting to do more paintings with just the denim, to capture the pose, the folds and shadows...

Caron
04-24-2002, 01:54 PM
I think its perfect the way it is! It puts a lot of envisize on the resting knee and gives us a "Im waiting" feel...:) Wonderful composition of an otherwise un-noticed stance.
As far as your scan goes, try calibrating your scanner either thru your program or on the scanner itself. It will help bring those tones back to reality...:)

paintergirl
04-26-2002, 11:02 AM
Thanks Caron...scanning has been a problem for me ,and it sure doesn't help that I am new at it. ( LOL ) What do you mean by calibrating the scanning and editing...using the same program for both or ? I wanted to use photoshop but this antique of a PC didnt have enough room at the time for that program. ( since then I have gutted my PC out and cleaned out the useless files to free up room ) I will try and re-scan it and see if I can get the color accurate again. The pic I posted here really lost some of the clarity too...
I used Scanofix Pro Version 2.0 for this...

Caron
04-26-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi PG,
Somewhere either on your scanner or in the program you use for scanning-generally at the start of the program where you tell it to scan, there should be a button to press that says, 'calibrate'. Take a look thru the program or on the scanner. The scanner should be on for about 60 seconds for the chance to warm up before doing this. Have nothing on the scanner bed, lid closed and press that button. I dont use the program you have so I cant tell you where it is. Maybe someone else with that program could help. Your system obviously has never been calibrated and thats what will bring it back to scanning in true colours. Then you shouldnt have a problem. Everytime you run a scan and notice that it is off of the pics true colours, you should recalibrate. Hope this helps. Maybe look up the make of your scanner or program on the internet. There may even be a mention of calibrating in the user manual to help you find where to do it. If not, either on the website or in the manual, there should be a 1-800 Number you can call. Hope something here helps...:)

paintergirl
04-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks so much!!! I am suspecting it never has been calibrated either...( *gulp...oops!*) I will look into that today! :D