PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting Nib?

laika
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
hello calligraphy peoples!

hey, can anyone suggest a dip pen nib for simple cursive handwriting? i was given a small calligraphy set and the nibs are all of the squarish variety, save for one fine-tipped drawing nib. i do aspire to the uncial or half-uncial, but meantime i'd like a nib for everyday handwriting.

TIA

TessDB
02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi, Lamar :wave:

I was kinda hoping someone who actually knows something about pens would wander through & answer your question... So please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I think the fine, pointed nib in your set will do what you're wanting. This is a link I've had stashed in my bookmarks for when I'm doing more than threatening to learn Calligraphy... Maybe it'll help? http://www.calligraphy.co.uk/about_1.php

Hope you'll share some of your work!
Tess

EBristow
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
There are diffrent pens you can buy. I know at my local office supply store i can get pen holders and then what ever nib i wish. My fav is Speedball. there are many types of nib to choose from. rounded, squared... it's also easy to switch out if you just have one nib holder like me. but i do reckomend geting a couple holders. I was just to cheep to get more than one. LOL.

Also speedball as this "kit" thing with this really small holder and pionty nib. I personaly doing like it at all. and it's really not that great to write with. you need to go with something ore of a square shaped nib, but don't go to wide.

laika
03-02-2007, 09:17 PM
thanks, Tess and EBristow!

what i'm hoping to find would be something more like a nib that would be found on a fountain pen. all the sets and individual Speedballs that i know of are specialized for drawing or calligraphy, though i did try a Speedball C that was fairly useable, but too broad.

thanks again for your suggestions. i'll check out that link, too.

Merry Scribe
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
hello calligraphy peoples!

hey, can anyone suggest a dip pen nib for simple cursive handwriting? i was given a small calligraphy set and the nibs are all of the squarish variety, save for one fine-tipped drawing nib. i do aspire to the uncial or half-uncial, but meantime i'd like a nib for everyday handwriting.

TIA

There are a variety of nibs that can be used for handwritting but I think what you are looking for are called copperplate nibs or speedball nibs. The copperplate nibs are like speedball nibs but they are a little wider that the speedball. Also most of the copperplate hands are for left handed people. Also you could also use a C-5 nib for handwritting this is a very narrow squared nib but it is very narrow. You could even use a C-4. You also might be interestred in the book "The Calligraphers Bible" This may help you out alot.

I hope that I have been of some help and it you have anymore questions please ask. Because the only stupid question is the question that is never asked.

Blessed Be

Brian

EBristow
03-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the fine, pointed nib in your set will do what you're wanting. This is a link I've had stashed in my bookmarks for when I'm doing more than threatening to learn Calligraphy... Maybe it'll help? http://www.calligraphy.co.uk/about_1.php

Hope you'll share some of your work!
Tess

the fine pointed ones are more for drawing, not writing