PDA

View Full Version : What do you think....

dragonwolf
02-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi, I'm brand new in the world of photography and I have been looking at some of these sites that you can post some of your work onto and then you can make some money based on how many ppl download your work, although when you upload these pictures to the site then thoes pics are not to be shown anywhere else or sold elsewhere. I was just wondering if this was a good way to get your work out to there, i mean is this how the whole freelance thing works i guess im just lost and wondering which way is the best way to get in to photography and not get ripped off too. Any susgestions of where to start or how you guys started. Well thank you in advance.

Brent

kaleidoscope eyes
02-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Hello Brent and welcome to the forums.
We have several members who submit to stock-photography sites and they would be able to tell you more than I can. However I do know that these sites require high resolution RAW files, what kind of equipment are you using?
There is a lot of competition in any area of photography and the first thing to do is master your art (practice practice practice) The second would be to find a niche for your type of images then try to get it out there to as many places and people as possible. It's not easy, but good luck to you!

If you would like some critique on your work post some images in the Darkroom (up to three) If you would like to introduce yourself and post some examples of your work use the Shutterbug Pub. Look forward to seeing you around the forums :)

Windy
02-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Brent the stock agencies all have different criteria
some want exclusive use of an image
some will let you use it elsewhere
some even have the exclusive down to not allowing you to sell images in the same genre .... eg one I know if you have animals with them you are not allowed to sell animals through any other means in the USA .... very restrictive
The amount of restrcition placed on your images is usually reflected in your income from them.
Whichever way you choose, have a look at what is being offered already. These are the images you have to compete with for sales.
Be very critical of your own work and make sure you practice at every opportunity.

Kallistos
02-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I submit to stock sites, so let me know any questions you have and I'll try to help.

The thing is, you need to firstly be able to take technically perfect images. Libraries don't want anything less than perfect. That's no noise, no chromatic arberation, no bad lighting, perfect focus and perfect depth of field. If you don't know what those things are then it's not time to submit.

Many stock libraries also won't take you on unless you have a certain amount of images already perfect and ready to go. I've had 500, 1000 and 2500 all quoted to me.

Even if they don't have a certain number of images required, you need to have a few hundred good images to start getting a monthly cheque. I'm just getting to the point where a monthly cheque is on the horizon. I've been doing it six months.

You need to upload every single week. If you don't, your sales will drop off horrifically. I try to upload every day. That way I manage to upload about three / four times a week which slowly build my sales.

I don't know what camera you have or what editing suite, but some libraries will expect you to produce a 50MB TIFF file for submission. This is hard and takes knowledge and practice to do well.

You need to be able to come up with concepts and do them better than you've ever seen them done. Buyers won't download a second rate image, they'll only download the best.

Depending on what you're interested in shooting can make things a whole different ball game. I shoot food, sports and people primarily. Food is one of the hardest subjects to get right. You need to make people want to lick their monitors. Sports and People are easier. BUT every image that you submit must be accompanied by a release to use the persons likeness in the photo (thank the American legal system for that one...). If you want to get into shooting models that generally means hiring good lifestyle models. Expect to pay upwards of $30 for a good one that will bring your photos to life.

Sorry if this sounds really negative. I started as a beginner to photography around six months ago and decided to jump in at the deep end since I was unemployed at the time. It's a massive learning curve. I shoot every day to keep me sharp and to continue to learn. And I don't mean that I shoot a few naff photos every day - every single day I get my little studio out and shoot if I'm not at a sports event or a model shoot that day.

I'm also now at the stage where I'm starting to submit my work to magazines and newspapers as well as having the odd commission of my work from models and so forth.

I'll tell you something, it's bloody hard to make money from your camera! Most days I put in around 10 hours I day I guess. That covers research, advertising, networking, post processing and lastly (and the smallest amount of time) photography.

I sound really negative!

But to be honest, before you think about making money from your pictures, try and become a brilliant photographer. You'll enjoy it more. Never forget either that you should be your own worst critic. Be fussy with your quality control, resign yourself to the fact that most of your photos won't be up to par. Always set your sights higher than your competition or your neighbor and always believe that you can do reach them.

Oh, and one last thing. NEVER give your work away free for "exposure". If a photograph is good enough to publish ANYWHERE then it is good enough to be paid for.

Windy
02-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Charlie that stuff is not negative, it is realistic, you have given excellent advice.