PDA

View Full Version : my first try on wallis paper

Mary Brigid
02-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I took this photo with flash on as it was a dull grey day here in Ireland ... as usual. So the darks in RL are not as dark. I loved the Wallis paper. The pastels just went on like butter. It is 10X14 with a mixture of softies. Title: Evening Glow at the Nire River
C/C very welcome
Thank you for looking
Mary Brigidhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/90519-Evening_glow_at_the_Nire_River.jpg

Donna T
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
This is beautiful- your colors are so nice! Is this on white Wallis or the grey?

Donna T

Bringer
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Mary,

It's a beautiful day at the Shire... :-)

Kind regards,

José

VeronicaF
02-22-2007, 04:21 PM
That is stunning Mary!!!!!!! it looks just like as if I was standing at that spot looking out to that scene in person,soo life like
stunning!!!!!!beautful!
well done
kind regards Veronica

bock
02-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh it is beautiful Mary!!! Don't you just love that paper??

Pat

palettetalk
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Lovely painting, very well done.Thank you for sharing.
I have never tried Wallis paper - what did you find you liked about it - is it "toothy" so it bites into the pastels or is it more velvety? So far I have used Le Carte and Sabertooth papers. I'm really interested in knowing anything about Wallis paper so do share your thoughts...
Cheers,
Susan

Mary Brigid
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments.
In answer to your questions on the Wallis...... It is Wallis White museum grade. It is what you would describe as Toothy Susan. I have always used La Carte which i have loved and it holds lots of pastel. But the Wallis will hold lots more. And for some reason the pastels seems to turn lovely and creamy on the surface. Perhaps this is because there is a bigger tooth in the paper.
I thought it would eat into the pastels. To my surprise this did not happen. I would actually say that I saw less pastel dust in the tray on my easel than when using La Carte.
Only one big problem. I am now spoilt. I don't want to use anything else. But it is very expensive to get from the us or uk with postage and duty.
And my birthday is not untill next Dec....:eek:
But mothes day is coming ;)
And who needs an easter egg when you can have Waills :lol:
Hope this tells you how much I like Wallis
Mary Brigid:wave:

Bringer
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi,

That's because you're not getting an egg from Fabergé :-)

Kind regards,

José

David Patterson
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
This is a wonderful piece Mary. The colors really work well throughout the whole painting.

David

Snowbound
02-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I love your painting, Mary. Obviously the Wallis fits your style, and you make the most of it.

Mary, I was interested in the comparison you made between Wallis and LaCarte. A 2x4 inch sample of LaCarte card came with my set of Senneliers. I didn't like the feel of it at all, but the other day decided to try doing a little painting on it. I did the back ground -- that little piece of LaCarte ate up the whole side of the pastel stick, and I wasn't pressing hard, though it did make a lovely, rich, even ground. I tried a few strokes for the painting, but would have had to put so much pastel on it to get good color that it is simply not worth it to me, even on such a small size. Since I now have a small bit of experience with which to compare, that gives me a better sense of how Wallis behaves. Perhaps someday I'll try it, maybe order a sheet the next time I get paper. I still like a good paper, though, and I like the texture that paper has, even when it breaks through. It fits me better.

FYI: A pastelist from NH tried out the Richeson papers and is saying the same thing- that they are pastel eaters. She is warning people to be aware of that. I gathered that she isn't recommending the Richeson papers. FWIW. Each person will find his/her own preferences through experience, though.

Dayle Ann

mustang202
02-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Very beautiful and serene, At first I thought it was a reference photo!

Gloria

nana b
02-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Breathtaking!

nana b

*Violet*
02-23-2007, 12:10 AM
fantastic, mary ... a real masterpiece ... love your style ... great values and detail ...

NothingButPencils
02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Fantastic! I am always in awe of those who paint landscapes well!
-RB

dbjs
02-23-2007, 01:01 AM
Mary this is so beautifull! wonderfull painting!

Mary Brigid
02-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Thank you all so much you are all very kind with your comments. But I did love doing it and perhaps that shows.

Dayle Ann I would still use La Carte again. Smooth papers do not suit my style. I use layers and layers of pastels. On the large tree on the right of the painting I have used at least 14 layers.

Mary Brigid

Eirl
02-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Mary Brigid, that is fantastic, I don't know how you get so much 'life' into landscapes any effort I make look ever so deceased!! The Nire area is so beautiful .I too thought it was a reference picture such great detail. Best wishes from a very wet Cobh.

Rose Baggs
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Great painting Mary!!! I love Wallis paper too...

Karen Margulis
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes it shows how much you enjoyed Wallis! I love the colors you've used. great job!

Karen

willG
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Mary, I have not had a lot of time to look at the postings in the past few weeks, but I must say this painting" fare took my breath away ", it is absolutely fantastic, congratulations, you have set the bar now ,onwards and upwards. I just love everything about it .

Regards Will

t-sue
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
A wonderful painting, Mary!!! :clap: Obviously your talent and the paper are a perfect match! We will save a chair for you at the WUA meetings.... (Wallis Users Anonymous! :p )

jochem25
02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
very nice this landscape!

CindyW
02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Mary, I am there! What a beauty of a place and a beautiful painting of it.
Very nice!
Cindy

E-J
02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Mary Brigid, I have always found that it takes me a fair few layers to build up a satisfying image on Wallis paper (though it's gorgeous) - so I'm surprised you've taken to it so quickly, seeing that your style is so detailed and highly finished."Must have taken her an age", I first thought. But that is precisely what some artists prefer! Can't wait to see what else you come up with on this paper.

Mary Brigid
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Thank you all for your great commments. I am thrilled that artists of such calibre like this work. I cannot belive it. :eek: I feel I am walking a foot taller and if I don't watch myself I will have to buy a bigger hat :lol:

Thank you all again for your encouragment

Mary Brigid :wave:

palettetalk
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Hi Mary,
thanks for the information about the Wallis paper. I started using LaCarte when I took a workshop from Dianna Ponting - it's her preferred paper and she's "the Master" :cool: . Personally, I didn't find it "ate" my pastels if NuPastel is used for the first layer then softer pastels on top. The LaCarte gave gorgeous results.
Still, I like to experiment so I'll get some Wallis paper and give it a try. I used Sabertooth paper the other day (see my painting "Apples on Blue" in this forum) and quite liked it although, if blended to vigorously it get shiny spots!
How much is a sheet of Wallis in Ireland? Isn't it funny how we start thinking "Okay, there's my birthday,and then it's our anniversary, and Mother's Day is coming..." in order to get someone to buy us more art supplies? I give an art supply list or a horse equipment list to my spouse and kids - I love gift certificates for such stores!:clap: Happy painting!
Cheers,
Susan

oldnoobie
02-24-2007, 01:50 AM
very beautiful painting .. so finely detailed :)

eyeinthesky
02-24-2007, 03:50 AM
Lovely painting Mary! love how you handled all those greens.
Dave

Dark_Shades
02-24-2007, 04:02 AM
Beautiful job Mary ..........love the richness and depth....... isnt Wallis wonderful to work on

Mary Brigid
02-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Thank you Oldnewbie, Dave and Dark Shades. It was a pleasure to do on the Wallis. I get plenty of practice in Ireland with Greens greens and more greens. :lol:
Susan you asked about how much Wallis costs here in Ireland. Unfortunatly one can't get it here. I wrote about the journey of my wallis from the USA to Ireland in pastel talk
here is the link
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381640

Mary Brigid

ponting
02-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Mary

I love this. It has an ‘old world’ feel to it. I think it’s the subdued colours….I love the ‘Z ‘ that begins with the back field then sneaks through the trees to finish off in the river and taking the viewer through the entire landscape in one fell swoop.
Every element is worked out beautifully with each species of tree and grass looking unique and I liked the sky/land percentages. Although it doesn’t conform to what the Gods of composition deem correct with the one third/two thirds, every time I visually cropped it to fit that scenario, it seemed to be missing something so you’ve certainly hit the nail on the head there also.

Bravo lady….you certainly have a winner here.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna

Mary Brigid
02-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Dianna Thank you so very much for taking the time to drop in and comment.
I appriciate it very much. I am only reading up now Dianna on composition tones and values ect. This was just a lucky result.
Thank you onece again
Mary Brigid :wave:

mooz49
03-08-2007, 01:43 PM
:wave: .... Hi there Mary Brigid .... beautiful painting .... :clap: :clap: :clap: