PDA

View Full Version : In an unexpected way....

Yako
02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I just wanted to comment something that made me happy...:) :) :)

For a long time i've been thinking to do something for selling with some of my digital paintings like greeting cards, illustrating child stories...etc... Well...as you know i don't have much personallity to aproach people to sell something:) :D so the project stood as a dream only.

...but things happened in a unexpected way :D : My sister, without asking me, sent some of my images to a store to print them in sample mugs. The guy who received them was fascinated with the images and printed them in a lceramic tile.

He showed them to a ceramist. The ceramist wanted to make ceramic tiles for a a child swimming pool. He also showed them when he was trying to do bussiness with a well known brand: he was having a meeting with them and there was no positive response till he showed them along with other samples, then they started to get more enthusiastic with the idea....

Well....i don't know what is going to happen...but i'm a bit afraid because he made samples without my permission. Well...i told my sister not to send any more images... But this little mistake was a good feedback for me :smug:

barryt
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Great story Kareen. Things happen like this. I will keep my fingers crossed

justjean
02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh the best of luck Kareen, your images are always so great
:clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Bnsmalkin
02-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Don't be frightened. This could be really great for you. You the artist and your sister your rep. The decorating industry is screaming for orginal artists like yourself. Best of luck to you. Let us know what happens.

LadyAlba
02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Way to go Kareen!! I am so happy for you and sending prayers and luck your way. :wave:

JCoop
02-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Kareen , are you Kidding? Not withstanding the fact that the guy reproduced your worK without your permission, it sounds like you owe your sister a big hug!:)

BrendaSue
02-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Nice going Kareen... sounds like a proud sister to me! It won't take you long to get your work noticed at this rate. Wishing you all the best... go out there and 'saturate' the market!!!

Bree

TxAggieDarlin
02-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Let us know.........great story and the BEST OF LUCK

madster
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
If nothing comes of this, try to retrieve ALL tiles with your images on them, and try to make sure that the unscrupulous printer destroys the digital files of your images.

There are art thieves out there who do just what you describe, and then sell your images on tiles, with NOTHING ever paid to you, the artist.
The fact that your images were printed and showed to others without your written approval is Copyright Infringement, and is illegal.

Watch the situation, and stay on top of it.
You will not be the first artist to get ripped off this way.

There is even an old thread somewhere in Gen. Business, here at WC about an artist who's works have been stolen repeatedly and printed on tiles being sold on e-bay.

Not all opportunities are as "great" as they may appear.
You have already had your art used without your permission.
If you do not establish your rights with this printer now, you may lose control of some of your works.

And no, you do NOT owe your sister a big hug, because what she did enabled a stranger to reproduce your works without permission, as well as then take them to yet ANOTHER stranger.
You did well to make your sister promise never to do such a thing without your permission again.

~M

JCoop
02-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Kareen, I agree that you need to stay on top of this situation.

The fact that this person communicated to you or your sister the results of the meeting with his client tells me that he's not worthy of death, but instead could use an education on copyright law.

You should contact this person and provide him with explicit language regarding the rights that you will extend to him regarding your artwork, under what circumstances and for what price.

I still say your sister deserves a little love.:)

jhercilia
02-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Hire her, but under your terms. Good luck.

Yako
02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey folks you are very supportive! Thks a lot for the advice! Thks! i hope all this goes out well.......

Skinny
02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Hip Hip Hoorah!

Yako
02-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Thxs for your comment Kristen!!!:) :) :)

digistyle
03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
With your whimsical use of color, this seems like it could be a great niche for you!! Good luck!