PDA

View Full Version : My website

catrus
02-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Will the viewer find it easy to navigate? I watched someone use it and she couldn't figure out not to use the back button after opening a picture in the lightbox, even though is says "press x to close" and the mouseover says "click to close".
http://www.colin.edu/shstewart/art/ (http://www.colin.edu/shstewart/art/)

LouiseI
02-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi Catrus!

I took a look at your site, I found it quite easy to navigate. I was a little confused because it seemed like there were two different types of navigation, the menu at the top and then the big list of your work on the page.
If I click a link in top menu the picture opens up in the window and I seem to have to press the back button to return to the previous page. If i click one of the pictures on the main page it opens and shows the 'click here to close' message. I think a lot of people get stuck in the particular way that they surf pages and that could be why the person you mentioned wasn't clicking the X. (LOL, I call it blind panic! don't read just panic and click till something works!)

I did feel like the transparent black background behind the picture was somehow stopping me from going back to the site, it's silly and irrational but I was almost afraid I might not get back there!

Other than that your site looks lovely, and the quality of your photos is very nice.

If it were me I think I would choose one form of navigation, either the list of paintings or the buttons, did you consider having the images open in a smaller window? I think for me, to be able to see the site clearly behind the picture would be better and if you stick with both forms of navigation have all the images open the same way.

Your paintings are beautiful, I love all the bright colours. This is the glass section of the forum, and I wonder if you might get more input if you posted in the painting section as well.

Good luck with your site ;)

catrus
02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Dot Girl Louise,
I just added the other option for opening my pictures to my page. I haven't had an answer to my post until now. I'm so glad you did.
I can't find a link to the web page on the acrylic site for critique for web pages. Can you tell me where it is?

LouiseI
02-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I like that better Sheila, you know I didn't realise before but I think having the website open behind the pictures was distracting too, they look great on the plain white background ;) :thumbsup:

I looked too and can't find a website critique in the acrylics, - I usually just hang out in this section, I just realised how much stuff there is on the front page :o -- I'll have to get back there and take a look at some of those sections.

catrus
02-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Louise,
You've been a great help. I changed the background on the pictures. I think it works a lot better now.
I'm glad you got a look at the whole Wetcanvas community. There is a lot out ther.

LouiseI
02-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm glad I was able to help :)