PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help...please Tell Me What You Think!

kellyp82
02-19-2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2007/74958-dawgpoundone.jpg

Hi Everyone, :wave:

I need some help! How do you get more traffic to your website?
Is it worth it to add your site to all the top 100 lists out there?
I haven't offered anything for sale on my site yet but I think I will
in the near future. I have had this site for about 2 weeks now,
Please tell me what you think, and if you can, sign my guest book!
Thank you!!
Kelly

www.KellysKreationz.com (http://www.KellysKreationz.com)

SharonP
02-19-2007, 02:36 AM
I couldn't exit your site, had to reboot my machine to get out... *s*

donnajodesigns
02-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi Kelly -

Cute beads! I even liked the clown, and I am scared of them! LOL

You might want to check/reduce the size of your pics, even on a dsl line your pages load v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Have someone submit your site, you can do the freebie route, but that takes forever. Spend a hundred bucks and get it done professionally.

Good luck!

Steve Wright
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Many of your images are over 1MB, way too big for dial-up and slower broadband users.

Also, the title of your page is 'index'

If someone bookmarks your site it goes into their Favorites folder as 'index'

Change the html: <title>index</title>

Steve

MaureenKennedy
02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I agree about the images. YOu are probably taking magazine quality jpgs of 5 megapixels and saving them under highest compression of 5 megs. Pics for websites only need to be saved as 72 pixels to square inch, which makes for quickest loading time. No one is going to want to hang around waiting for pics to load so slowly - at least I didn't.

Other than that, several search engines still allow you to personally upload info on your website to their website so they will "crawl" through your website and then later list it. Otherwise if you sell on Ebay you can have a ME page which can diect people to your website.

Steve Wright
02-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Kelly,

A few more thoughts. About 1/3 of the hits on my site via search engines comes from Google. The next 28% come from Yahoo, about 20% from MSN, then it is scattered. Google looks at content, then upgrades depending on many other factors, mostly beyond your control.

Other engines look at Two META TAGS, keywords and descriptions. Go to my web site and do a View Source. Copy mine and paste into a word document. Edit out the stuff that does not apply and add your own.

The tags are in the header at the top of the coding. With the keywords you are allowed 1000 characters. No duplicates are allowed, use plurals where applicable. 250 characters for the description.

Back to Google. Depending on what happens with Vista, Google will be the big dog for some time. What will probably make you hard to catalog is the daily chat. There are an avalanche of words there that have nothing to do with your main goal of getting people to find your lampwork beads. You might consider moving it to a subpage with a link from your home page.

I have trouble with my Google ads cataloging my Calla Lily tutorial because of a lack of applicable words in the body of my HTML. I copied several key words and placed them at the bottom of the page, then changed their color to the same as the background color. Scroll to the bottom of that page and do a Ctrl-A to select all and see them.

You might want to sign up for Google Adsense. No charge to join, you sign up and in a couple days you can go design your ads and plug the code into your page. I guarantee you will get cataloged by Google. If you do go that route, go the the bottom of my home page and click on the big green button to sign up. A win-win situation. I'm making a couple bucks a day with adsense, with an average of 145 unique visitors per day.

Steve

LouiseI
02-23-2007, 07:04 AM
What Steve said! And thank you for the Adsense comment Steve, I wouldn't have thought of doing that ;)