PDA

View Full Version : got a question :)

labmonkey
04-19-2002, 02:56 AM
ok, uhmm...
I was thinkin of doing a picture in pastel for my dads birthday (on sunday, yikes). anyhow, i was just wonderin if theres some fixative or something that will keep it from smearing.

sorry if this is a stupid question :p

MKathleen
04-19-2002, 03:41 AM
Hi labmonkey:
There are fixatives you can use with pastels, but the draw back is it tends to change the tonal value of the pastel it's sprayed onto. Go to www.dickblick.com and search under fixative and see if there is one you might use. If you decide to use fixative I would try it first on a scrape piece of pastel paper that you have put some pastel strokes and blends to get an idea of how the fixative will effect the pastel.
I don't spray my finished pastel work just for the vary reason I stated above. I will at times spray between applications of pastel the reason for that is to add more texture for the pastel to grab too. My favorite fixative is Krylon Workable Fixative it's clear and it's a matte fixative.
Best,
Kathy:)

labmonkey
04-19-2002, 04:37 PM
thx for replying :D

i found some fixative in the store that works on pastel apparently. i'll try it out in a bit. thanks again, most appreciated :)