PDA

View Full Version : Pastels and Oil painting

Stefan
04-19-2002, 12:03 AM
I am wanting to paint a very light layer of pastels onto my canvas... much like a wash with watercolors.

Then paint over that abstractly with oils and charcoal.

Does anyone know if this will work?
Should I spray the pastel layer with adhesive before painting?
Or should I just not attempt this?

I tried using watercolors as my wash but they dont adhere to the canvas well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

MKathleen
04-19-2002, 03:49 AM
Hi Stefan:
Why not try acrylic washes as your under coat then add your oils. There would be no need to use any fixative with this process.
Best,
Kathy :)

MarshaSavage
04-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Stefan,

I have a friend that paints with pastel on canvas and uses water to get beautiful washes. She does wonderful abstract paintings. She wets the back side of the canvas with a spray bottle and then uses a brush on the pastel on the front side. Pastel is pigment just like oil paint, but in a chalk-like binder instead of oil.

You might even try spraying the pastel with a workable fixative, keeping in mind that it will darken the colors somewhat.

You should be able to paint right on top of the pastel underpainting whichever method you decide to try. There is no reason not to try it out!

Let us see your results. Good luck!

Marsha --

Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

Rick R
04-19-2002, 01:39 PM
I don't know anything about oil painting or canvas, but I think you might want to consider some good quality oil pastels rather than using soft pastels and fixing them.

Oil pastels will stick to almost anything, so you shouldn't have a problem with applying them to canvas.

You can use soft/hard pastels over lightly applied oil pastels, so I suspect charcoal would probably work as well.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that oil paints/sticks can be used over oil pastels, but not vice versa.

- Rick

Stefan
04-19-2002, 04:20 PM
awesome
thank you all for your help

I already started the painting and just used oils for the whole thing but as soon as i free up my easel i am going to try it the way I had intended.

the reason I was wanting to use pastels is because I have a little more experience with them and can control them better than I can a brush... I am brand new to painting.
I have a specific look I wanted and just cant seem to achieve it with these paints.

Thank you all again for your info.
:)