PDA

View Full Version : Demo: underpaint with Createx, Expressive Landscape

Deborah Secor
02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought I'd share some photos that a student of mine has taken during a class I'm teaching called The Expressive Landscape. This series started on white Wallis paper using just a few drops of the Createx and a little water (not too drippy wet, so it dries quickly), in five different colors. You can see the few charcoal lines, and then I make a few quick swipes of the paint from light to dark, just to define shapes and values. I like the colorful look--it inspires me to play with colors. Then it's pure pastel from then on.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Here are a few more shots for you. I got to a point where I stopped in class, then took it home and changed things. The one without the board was taken the following week at class. I added a pic of the ref photo for you to see, too.

I love playing with color like this! Hope it inpsires you...
Deborah

David Patterson
02-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Very nice demo Deb...thanks!

David

CindyW
02-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Gorgeous, Deborah!!
Woo hoo! What a great demo.
Thanks hugely for sharing. :)

Cindy

Jo Castillo
02-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the demo. I love the bright colors.

Jo

JON805
02-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Once again, thank you for sharing these demos. I just enjoy seeing them!!!

Rose Baggs
02-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Great demo!!! Thanks!!!

Usha
02-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Deborah,

This is great!! :clap::clap:Thank you for the wonderful demo, sure there is lot to learn here!
Usha

Deborah Secor
02-18-2007, 10:38 AM
You're all very welcome--thanks for your encouragement, too! :D

Deborah

Pinecone Conniff
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes! Inspiring!:thumbsup:
I like to tone my paper with the Createx pigments...great product. Are they still available? I heard the word "discontinue" somewhere along the line. I bought the ones I have from Dick Blick. Any info on this?:confused:
Annette

Deborah Secor
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
A student of mine got some somewhere but they are indeed not made any more. She did an Internet search and found them...

Deborah

Pinecone Conniff
02-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Maybe Kitty will make her own line of pigments to go with her paper...wouldn't that be cool?
Annette

pjo
02-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi Deborah,
This is a wonderful demo, thanks for sharing it with us. I love seeing this painting evolve. I noticed that you used the complimentary color in some places and not in others, what makes you decide when and where to use the compliments in the underpainting? Thanks again, Paula

Deborah Secor
02-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I guess the short answer is that in the case of the distant mountains I didn't want to create any visual tension with a complement that would draw the eye to it. If I'd put a bright orange beneath that blue it could have become far too visually interesting, but I want you to be excited by the tension of colors inthe foreground area. It's the touches of red and orange peeking through the greens, and the red-violets beneath the blue areas, that I want to be interesting and compelling.

But remember, the class is called the EXPRESSIVE landscape, so I'm challenging people to be motivated by a visceral, gut level, response to color--not to over-think things too much! We've done a whole series of painting experiments designed to get them away from the 'plan-plan-plan, think it through, carefully touch the paper' routine, and far more devoted to the simple "I like it" level of response. I suspect the thought and planning will never go away (it shouldn't) but some folks have trouble letting go and feeling things through color responses.

I hope that answer makes sense... :wave:

Deborah

Pat Isaac
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the demo, Deborah. I really like the way this is done and the color just sings. I bought some createx when I saw your posts of the bowls. I haven't tried it yet, but now I am even more inspired.

Pat

pasteladdict
02-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Deborah
Thanks for posting this. If a person can not find Createx, what would be a good substitute?

Liz Teed