PDA

View Full Version : Choices: new gouache WIP

Alachua Artist
02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
A new piece - doing some experimental work with this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/21231-choices1.jpg

18" x 24" gouache on rice paper with silver & gold gouache detail

I've done the typical work for me, in the painting and line work so far. Then when the background color was worked in, the board I use to work on had quite a build-up of pigment from previous works. It bled through in the bottom area, giving it a more etheric feel. I'm not certain how this will actually play out, but I'm like the effect.

As always, your comments (aka: criticisms :thumbsup: - be gentle) and suggestions are needed.

Sonia
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Your work is always fascinating. The colouring on this one is, at the moment, more subtle than some of your previous work. I think it works well.

Alachua Artist
02-16-2007, 06:44 PM
thanks, Sonia. Yes, this one is quite toned down from the others. I try to push myself somewhere with each painting, and this one is definitely edging a few things.

Now that the painting is posted, I can see a that I need to work the reflections more - the trees are out of balance with each other.

meglyman
02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Wendy,

Looks beautiful already, especially with the gold in it. My only comment is that the line near the bottom, where the tree reflections start, doesn't read well to me. I assume it's a bank or waterline? I think because it's just the same color as the ground and has no sky color in it. Of course, it's a WIP, so maybe my comments are moot. ;)

I really like the colors in the sun.

Meg

Alachua Artist
02-16-2007, 08:59 PM
next night's work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/21231-choices2.jpg

Defined more of the lower bank and water - maybe that reads better now Meglyman. Added the red & green leaves and repainted some of the gold outline on the sun & moon.

hmm... it looks fuzzy - maybe it's the camera. I'm tired.

Is the sky is too light?

Old Tex
02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Wendy, I like this. I don't personally think the sky is too light for this particular piece. Wish I had the imagination to do the kind of work you do.

Alachua Artist
02-17-2007, 08:16 AM
thanks Old Tex. I've been considering repainting the back side with ultramarine blue gouache, letting it bleed through. I've not tried this before, and it could be a great way to add a little more depth.

It could also ruin everything.

hmmm... what to do... what to do...

meglyman
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Reads much better - great addition of the magenta color. I agree with Ralph; the sky is a beautiful shade of blue.

Alachua Artist
02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
well, I went ahead and repainted the sky area with ultramarine blue, doing this from the back side and letting it bleed through. It worked! :::whew:::
What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/21231-choicesF.jpg

Old Tex
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
You know what I like about being an artist? I can hear (or read) all the comments, consider them thoughtfully, and then listen to my "inner muse" (assuming I have one), and do what feels right for me personally. Sometimes that doesn't work out too well for me, but in this case, following your own instincts worked well. Really nice, Wendy!

Sonia
02-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I quite liked it in its paler stage, but the deeper blue certainly has not harmed it, just given it a different feeling.

Alachua Artist
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
thanks so much Old Tex & Sonia! I must agree with you that being part of this community, we learn encourage and work through the efforts and problems that we encounter during our painting process.

I so appreciate all your comments and insights.