PDA

View Full Version : Further observations from art school days...

Enchanted
02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
In the currently running threads on art schooling at age 50 and rethinking art schooling I made some observations based on my personal experiences when I returned to university at the age of 50 to obtain degrees in art. I was able to make comparisons to what I went through as a youthful college student studying for a degree in engineering.

And I was thinking about my fellow students from both school experiences. In my undergraduate schools, MOST of the students were of average youthful college age, with just a handful of "seniors" like myself in the mix. In my art graduate school, MOST were youthful art school graduates still in their twenties, some by then with family responsibilities.

And what I know of those fellow students who have gone on to actually earn a living in the art field, every single one - who I know of - showed that they had what was needed to make a successful career when in art school. And anyone who has been through the early college years - regardless of the field of study - knows the scene where a majority of students piss and moan about their study plan and spend far too much time partying. It's not hard to pick out the "abnormal" student who is serious about their studies and has a definite goal/career plan for their future. They usually are the ones who go on to succeed in whatever they do!

Now I better get off the soap box before I get soaped, or bombarded with rotten tomatoes!

:)

onefinepint
02-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I appreciate your comments. Thanks for standing on that soapbox. :)

Anuran
02-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I can definitely relate to this. While I don't have the life experience you have, I am 30 years old, a military veteran, a husband, father and a full-time student at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. I am still in the midst of my freshman year and I am having a lot of trouble relating to those who have neither the maturity or motivation that I do. Everyday though, I try to encourage and provoke the freshman into better focus. This has not entirely been successful, I am accused of lecturing more than the professors!

vhere
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I did my degree as a mature student, most of the students were school leavers with just a handful of us mature students.

I found that some were there for a good time - but it showed in their work , or lack of it! Others were focussed, had a great time but worked hard. I got on well with them, learnt from them and had a great time as well.

At coffee one day one said to me 'you mature students seem to know what you are doing,:( I wish I did' :eek: :lol: :rolleyes: - I said no, we thought the young students all knew what they were doing and we were all worried and insecure! it made us all feel better :) They were great fun and we had great discussions regardless of age :)

beautifulfreak
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I enjoyed art school, had fun and worked my butt off. I think most just out of high school freshmen are still finding there way and aren't ready to focus down, maybe they shouldn't, its a time to explore and experiment. By year three I think the cream rises to the top and you can separate the serious student from the art sound cool crowd.

By the time I hit art school I had already gone to community college and got my A.A. and since I was paying my own way slightly older than the traditional student by a couple of years. My school had a mix of all ages especially in the BFA program, now that I think of it we were mostly slightly older to much older than the traditional student. The traditional aged students were opting for the B.A. degree instead. I never really had noticed before. hmmmm...