PDA

View Full Version : New egg tempera for 2007 partof my 50-50

richlll
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I have started my 50 paintings in 50 days, 12 oils and 2 egg tempera finished so far, this is part of an upcoming show in April, 50 artists painting 50 pieces in 50 days....These are all 6" x6" on board, they are taking me about 3 hours per day to complete.
Thanks for looking. Rich

richlll
02-15-2007, 05:56 PM
HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402179)is a link to the oils if you are interested. Rich

richlll
02-18-2007, 02:32 AM
3 more coming up...

richlll
02-18-2007, 02:34 AM
one more....

cmwynn
02-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure what post#4 is, or if I'm supposed to, but all of them show great use of color and fine detail. I thought egg tempera took many layers, do they dry quickly enough to finish in 3 hours or is that over a greater time span with time in between to dry?

richlll
02-19-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure what post#4 is, or if I'm supposed to, but all of them show great use of color and fine detail. I thought egg tempera took many layers, do they dry quickly enough to finish in 3 hours or is that over a greater time span with time in between to dry?

Thanks. #4 is vitam E gel tabs close up, all of these are painted from life.

Not knowing any better I blaze ahead in these......Drying time for egg tempered paints is "immediate", they take a month of protection from scraping and rubbing with water but you cannot play with strokes for more than a couple of seconds, the ground you work on is very absorbent (traditional RS gesso is the only ground I know of to work on). You can use water only as an "eraser" for the fresh strokes. Egg tempera takes the one month to "dry" then you can buff it to a nice sheen or if you wait a full year I am told that it dries harder than oil.

I saw an online video of a person dropping an egg tempera painting into a vat of petrol, probably after a year of drying, to break down some of the fats prseent in the egg tempera and then varnish it. The egg tempera loses some if it's phosphorescent qualities though by doing this but it was his solution to varnish it with less worry, I believe he used a damar solution but it darkens everything.

All this to say that it does indeed dry fast and very hard over time.

This was my first ET it took almost 3 hours I believe completed in one sitting:
http://richlovato.com/images/tomm.jpg

This was another one completed in about 4 hours:
http://richlovato.com/images/italplum-110s.jpg

Rich

JamieWG
02-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Rich. What an interesting concept for a show! I love a goal that spurs me onward like that. 6x6" is a favorite size of mine, and I find it very managable to do in a day, if I have a few hours. I think I'd have a hard time getting that much time every day for 50 days in a row to actually create "saleable pieces" all those days....My family would probably toss me out on the street after a couple of weeks without dinner. hahaha ;) Looking forward to seeing what you produce for your 50, and wishing you the best of luck with it! Keep us posted, okay?

Jamie

richlll
03-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Rich. What an interesting concept for a show! I love a goal that spurs me onward like that. 6x6" is a favorite size of mine, and I find it very managable to do in a day, if I have a few hours. I think I'd have a hard time getting that much time every day for 50 days in a row to actually create "saleable pieces" all those days....My family would probably toss me out on the street after a couple of weeks without dinner. hahaha ;) Looking forward to seeing what you produce for your 50, and wishing you the best of luck with it! Keep us posted, okay?

Jamie

Thanks Jamie: I have finished and delivered the pieces, I had one piece presold before delivering them, I'm going to add detail shots later but they are posted now in the oil forum at.... HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402179)
Thanks for looking and....teach your family to cook for themselves... :evil: :D I didn't do any more egg tempera except these 5 pieces shown here, I enjoyed doing them very much though. Rich

Old Tex
03-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Wow! Very, very cool stuff.

meglyman
03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Rich, I headed over to your oil paintings, and along with your temperas, they are bright, lively, and colorful. I enjoyed looking at each one of them. Of the temperas, I like the glass of milk the best. Someone in the other forum mentioned that your last paintings looked more forced... but I disagree. Some of those last ones were stunning - I think my favorite was the canteloupe. Congratulations getting through it!
Meg

richlll
04-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi Ralph and Meg: Thanks so much for your kindness. Rich

richlll
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5591047&postcount=39)is a direct link to all the 50 paintings I did for this show which opened 4-11-07. Rich

cmwynn
04-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for showing the finished set. All are very rich and detailed. I admire your dedication in staying with the 50 days. Good luck with more sales.

richlll
04-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Thanks for showing the finished set. All are very rich and detailed. I admire your dedication in staying with the 50 days. Good luck with more sales.

Thanks so much Connie. The show was such a hit they are going to do it every year, but next time may be larger paintings with more days to complete. Rich

meglyman
04-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow... 50 days seems like a long time to keep at something like this - can't imagine going even longer! Did the going get tough in the middle or at the end, motivation-wise? When they stretch it out, will there be fewer paintings (i.e. still 50 days but 10 paintings at 5 days each)?
Meg

richlll
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow... 50 days seems like a long time to keep at something like this - can't imagine going even longer! Did the going get tough in the middle or at the end, motivation-wise? When they stretch it out, will there be fewer paintings (i.e. still 50 days but 10 paintings at 5 days each)?
Meg

HI Meg: Thanks! This is going to seem oversimplified, but....I was motivated to sit down and go through the motions, in doing so I caught the bug to complete it, daily. When you think how much time people spend sitting in front of the TV, it's not too hard to spend doing a much more rewarding task. I have always had a problem with sitting and watching too much TV. Doing the egg tempera actually threw me off a bit because it is so different than painting in oil, getting back to oil for some reason was the hard transition for me. There were days that I did a first pass on 5 paintings to get a jump start, so I set up 5 still lifes with the same lighting and didn't have to change my setup for that time, and i completed them in 3 days, there were several times too when I was actually 1-2 paintings behind.......:evil:

We meet Friday to discuss next years focus, we'll probably do something like 20- 9" x 12's in 50 days.

Rich