PDA

View Full Version : My 3rd

unity
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello to Everyone!

I am new to Wet Canvas and so glad I stumbled up on it. This is my 3rd painting in the last couple of months. I am also new to painting, as my last creative endeavours were in highschool art class, 25 years ago. The painting is approx. 2x3 ft and acrylic on canvas. Please offer coments, as I feel I need feed back to move me forward and help me find my groove, so to speak.

Thanks,
Suehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/101436-lumix_224..compressed.jpg

idcrisis55
02-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Love the blue hair and the lush red mouth. You are doing very well for your third painting. Painting people anytime is challenging. I think the area I noticed is that the nose appears rather long although very well painted and the chin area appears shorter than it would be reality. Did you use a photo as a basis for your painting? If so measure from the top of the head to center of the eyes (where the nose dips into the face, then measure from there to the end of the nose, then from the end of the nose to the chin. That will give you a general idea of what the measurements of each area needs to be. Hope this helps and I'm so glad you posted your work! I hope we see many more from you.

Jon
02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the Acrylics Forum!
That blue hair with tha green eye...very intense. I look forward to seeing more of your pieces.
I am wondering if this is from a photo or your imagination?

Mark Newton
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I never know how to comment when asked for an open opinion, as surely you must know if you have achieved what you were after. I think it works fine though for me....it would have quite a powerful look on a wall, especially at that size.

dreamz
02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree totally with Mark, not knowing what you where going for its difficult to to give comment beyond the fact that it's an interesting composition and extremely well done especially for a beginner

tishtosh
02-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Very bold painting, especially for someone who only recently started painting.

I think when you find your niche' and the more you get the "feel" of acrylics we are going to see some amazing paintings. You are obviously not afraid to experiment with colours. This painting should encourage you to continue, upward and beyond! Well Done!

David

unity
02-17-2007, 06:23 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for all your comments. Mark and Dreamz, you made me realize I didnít really know what I was actually asking, but after some thought, I think itís because I have no technical experience, I am looking for feed back in that area. The colour combining, the value and shading, the composition, the style, etc. I am virgin artist and basically know no terms, styles, techniques etc.
The 3 paintings I have painted so far have all come from intuition and feeling. Since I am a stay at home mom, I have to be very organized and linier. When I decided to start painting I really tried to let emotion lead me through the process. All the paintings took me about 6 hours each and I like to start and finish in one sitting, so needless to say, after the kids are put to bed there had been a few late nights. I find it very hard to go back to a paining and start working on it again, plus the fact that I enjoy it so very much; I donít want to stop until I see the finished product.

Ann, I do agree with you on the mouth/chin area, it did not look right to me either but I was unsure on what was incorrect, thanks so much for your advice. I will attempt to go in and fix it.

I did paint it from a photo, an advertisement, I have attached it, I do have a question about copywriting, are we allow to use photos, from magazines, the internet, etc. as long as it is altered from itís original form? I am confused on this area, and I have found I am not painting as much as I want because I do not feel comfortable about using a subject I should not be copying.

Also, in the art world, what is the etiquette on using projectors to copy the initial outline? I have been hand sketching so far but would like to get into bigger canvases and feel a projector might help me get the proportions correct.

So, I hope this is not to long, I appreciate the time you spent replying to my initial email,

Regards,
Sue

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/101436-lumix_644.jpg

idcrisis55
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi Sue, anything in a mazagine, articles, etc. is copyrighted and it is best to get written permission from the person that did the photograph if possible. For practice, I can see why one would use what is available but it is probably best not to share those practice works/studies in a public area and definitely not sell them. We have a great Reference Image Library that has almost anything and everything in it. I also use snapshots of my family members and friends to practice faces and figures or use the Old Masters' work which is outside the area of copyright (I think). Others here in the Forum can perhaps give you more information on copyright. There is an Art Business Forum which has a Legal Corner that has lots of information on copyright issues.

The main question to ask is would you want someone taking something you had worked on so hard and doing a copy of it, then perhaps selling it or taking credit for it? I wouldn't like it and probably you wouldn't either lol. You know how much of ourselves we put into our work. :) Hope this helped!

Leslie Pz
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Very bold painting, especially for someone who only recently started painting.

I think when you find your niche' and the more you get the "feel" of acrylics we are going to see some amazing paintings. You are obviously not afraid to experiment with colours. This painting should encourage you to continue, upward and beyond! Well Done!

David
I second that comment!!!