GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fuschia
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I used a reference photo from WC ref library. This painting was started in Atelier Interactive acrylics, I wasn't comfortable w/ them this being the 1st time I used them, and I switched back to my Galleria paints. This is my 2nd floral painting ever. I will make any necessary changes prior to varnishing. Thanks!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please C&C, how can I improve this piece?

kathrynlovespets
02-15-2007, 08:56 AM
spectacular..I love the vivid colors...I love how you pumped up the green rather than painting it the same color (a duller green) that's in the reference photo

Paulafv
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Your painting looks better than the photograph. Really good acrylic.

Jackie339
02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Thank-you Kathryn and Paula!

MOTH Priestess
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
nicer then the ref fo sho. the painting is succulent, delish. these are fuchias with attitude! somebodies making money with this baby...

Jackie339
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Crossing fingers and toes Moth Priestess! How I would love to sell something, esp. this piece, although it would be like giving up a child, know what i mean!

Eduardo Flores
02-16-2007, 06:27 AM
...how can I improve this piece?
It is a very good painting with strong, correct contrasts of colors, and a pleasant general harmony of colors and shapes.
I see that you were induced by the reference photo to make clear the upper part of the background. This fact reduces the contrast, then the force, of the upper (and beautiful) buds: I would darken this area.

Eduardo

plec
02-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Hello and congratulations this piece is so much better than the photo.
Best wishes, Ken..

Jackie339
02-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Oh, You're right Eduardo, and I really hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out, that green is too bright up at the top, I'll fix it. Thanks so much for telling me, much appreciated!
Ken, thanks for the compliment!

davenik999
02-17-2007, 02:43 PM
I must respectfully disagree with Eduardo; the luscious green glow up top is one of my favorite areas in a great painting! I think the painting has a really nice flow of value from top to bottom as is.
Nice forms, great composition, beautiful color. Excellent! Dave
PS- I do find the location and size of the signature distracting. If you consider it as part of the composition, it looks really out of place.

Jackie339
02-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Hi Dave I haven't changed the green yet, so perhaps I'll leave it alone. As far as my signature, I have such trouble with that, I never know where to put it, what color, how big, and you're right it is part of the composition and should be treated that way. I think next time I'll photograph the painting, bring it into PS and experiment to find the right area. Thank-you so much for your input in a matter that needed to be addressed!!!

Eduardo Flores
02-18-2007, 05:49 AM
...the luscious green glow up top is one of my favorite areas in a great painting!...
That green on the top is really a luminous one, and beautiful, but it is only a repetition of many other greens already present in the composition; in that position however, it reduces the force of the rhythm of values, whose function is to exalt the contrast of light and dark areas.
In one point your observation is correct: the difference in value gives the background an interesting vertical dynamism.
So, the best judge is the artist herself!

Eduardo