PDA

View Full Version : Can a pipette be used with acrylic paints

junipaire
02-15-2007, 05:27 AM
The effect I'm after is doing abstract dots of paint and paint splats on my canvas, I just wondered if a pipette can be used. I've seen one available here http://www.jandtblackman.ltd.uk/eShop/proddetail.php?prod=BulbPippette but thought I should check to see if such things work with finity and galleria acrylic paints or if any one knew of another technique that could do good paint splats and dots.

cheers
Phil

timelady
02-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Cool idea. I think if you used fluid acrylics (rather than tube acrylics) it should work.

Tina.

dreamz
02-15-2007, 06:40 AM
you may have to thin the paint down some so it flows, perhaps experiment with a drinking straw b4 buying a pipette

Clever
02-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I've heard of folks doing things like that with a ball point pen barrel....take the pen part out first and you have a long tunnel that tapers at the end...you can use it to blow paint from it, blow thinned paint around on the canvas after application and blow mask fluid around too...give it a try. I've used one to blow watercolor around in an abstract piece i "tried".

idylbrush
02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Neat idea worth investigating for sure. I agree with TL and Dreamz it may require a fluid acrylic or something of that consistency (about like thick cream). Another way to get the "splatter" effect is to use a thinned acrylic (very sloppy) and overload a largish brush and fling it. Recently I have been using liquid acrylic straight from the bottle, and I mean basically swooping the bottle in the air and flinging the color, very interesting results. I saw Dale Chihuly using this to great results and decided why not. It works.

Enchanted
02-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Anyone know what kind of paint is in paint balls? I recently watched a video presentation of an artist who had rigged a paint ball gun to randomly move around while randomly firing different colored paint balls at a canvas. He then sold the completed paintings during the exhibit where they were created.

Imagination and technology combine to create art! (sort of :lol: )

idylbrush
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
For some reason I doubt it to be very permanant unless you can fill the gelatin balls with an archival pigment. I would worry that it would fade readily since it isn't intended to be permanant. Otherwise we would see middle aged men with multi colored extra wide mustaches.:eek:

Clever
02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I would worry that it would fade readily since it isn't intended to be permanant. Otherwise we would see middle aged men with multi colored extra wide mustaches.:eek:

Howard, even thinking about that is too funny!!!:lol:

dreamz
02-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I used a paintball gun and multi colored "ammo" to paint a garbage can and planter, neat effect but it didn't last long

Phantelope
02-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I've thought about the paintball too, but as far as I know it's just some watercolor and it certainly is not permanent. But maybe somebody makes permanent paintballs? I think the guns where originally invented to mark trees for cutting or cattle and then got turned into a toy gun.

Paulafv
02-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Another neat way to get controled spatters of paint is to buy a piece of nylon netting at Michael's or another store that sells fabric and notions for sewing.
It cost's about 30-40 cents and is used for hooking rugs or something I wouldn't be doing soon. It's heavy duty nylon and it measures 10.5" x 13.5" and could easily be cut into pieces for different colors or rinsed off over and over. Just tried it with watercolor and the effects could be controlled by painting a limited area of the screen and tapping it over the area you want to be spattered. An over all spatter is also possible as it a wet looking spatter with just water on newly applied paint. Your imagination can think up more uses I'm sure. Anything you come across with a screen surface, including a piece of screen would work. Old toothbrushes are a favorite. Have fun.