PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy Basic 101

Merry Scribe
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Calligraphy is an art which through practice and patience, so in this tutorial we are going to make practice fun and informative, not dreary and monotonous. Confidence which gives lettering a rhythm and a sense of freedom cannot come without understanding the basic structure of letter. Your calligrpahy will develop as you learn the basic structure, the various techniques and experiment with different lettering styles, (hands). Calligraphy is not a matter of copying but rather a question of developing a skill and using it appropriately to express the meaning of a text. As you work your way slowly through these tuttorials you will learn to achieve small successes step-by-step.

It is important to familiarize yourself with the pens and drawing instruments. Alot of you may already have most of the tool you need in that you are artists in other mediums. So all we are going to do with you is show you another way of using the tools you already have and put them to work in another art form called calligraphy. Just as children learn naturally through play, so will we! Mastering your tools will gradually develop as your skills improve.

It is important to allow plenty of time to enjoy your work. Go slowly and you will gain the maximum benefit from what you are learning. Instant results are not really satisfying, so if time is short, you simply have to expect less of yourself to begin with. There are no short cuts to practicing a craft and calligraphy is no different then the skills you have in your other art forms.

There are a few things you might want to get if you don't already have them.

The first thing that you will need is a Workstation. When considering a calligraphy workstation in your home. You will need the following

A. A source of natural light and a desk lamp.
B. A steady, strong, flat table on which to put the drawing board.
C. A drawing board (preferably adjustable).
D. A comfortable adjustable chair
E. Space to keep tools and equipment with in easy reach.
F. Jars or cutlery tray for pens and brushes without damaging them
G. Space to store work. ( You may like to keep your work in a portfolio or put it inder the bed between sheets of cardboard.)

Calligraphy is the art of beautiful writing.

To begin with, you will need a collection of tools. These should be kept clean and ready to use, so that whenever you find that you have some time available, you can start practicing your letters straight away.Cleaning pens and brushes immediately after use is also a good habit to get into.

In this portion of the tutorial you will be introduced to various tools and writing instruments, which, as a beginner, you are recommended to use. You will be advised on how to care for them.

Your hand and eye are two other important tools. With practice, they will learn to work together and you should be able to achieve better results than you might now think possible.

TASK
Prepare a drawing board
1. If you do not have a drawing board, you can make one. Find a strong, flat board with straight edges. Prop it up at an angle of 45 degrees using bricks or books. Make sure it is firm.

2. Tape three sheets of good thick paper securely to the board to create a firm but "sympathetic" writing surface.

3. Use a sheet of ruled lines as a guide underneath the sheet of paper you are writing on.

4. Write onto a sheet of layout paper which is not taped down. This paper needs to be free to move upward as you write down the page so that your hand stays at the same level on the board at all times.

5. Use a sheet of layout paper to protect your work from grease and splatters etc. This is very important.

PENS and WRITING TOOLS you will need.

1. Chisel-ended felt tip pen. You can get these in most art supply stores or if there is a university in your area you can go to the book store and look in the art department and find them.

2. The double pencil is the most useful dry pen of all. Simply bind two pencils together at the top and bottom with tape or rubber bands to produce an outline pen which shows clearly the letter construction. To make a broader pen, place an eraser between the two pencils and the bind them together. If you want a narrower pen, shave off some of the wood from the pencils along their length before binding.

3. Fountain pen. Using a fountain pen with an italic nib for your veryday writing will help to improve it

TASK

Collecting pens.

Start collecting amd making pens.

Store the pens with the nib pointing upwards, not flat in a box. A jar is ideal for this. Having several pen holders will avoid the need to change nibs too often this can damage them. There several places that you can purchase pen holders and nibs, Michaels is one, art supply stores and of course the local collage or university book store. You can also purchase them online.

TASK

Preparing nibs.
New nibs need to be cleaned before use, otherwise the ink will not flow freely. You need to remove the manufacturer's lacquer from both nibs and reservoirs, either by boiling them in water or by putting them into the flame of a candle. I profer to use a candle. When using a candle insure that the nib and reservoirs get hot and then dip them into water and then wipe them dry and clean.

Now we come to our first lessen, "Making mountains". The matterials you will need for this lessen are; 11X14 inch paper (A3) a ruler and your double pencil pen. Draw ruled lines onto your paper 1 1/4 inches next take your double pencil pen and start making mountains with a 45 degree angle. Keep the angle constant. This simple practice exercise is helpful to the beginner even before you start writing.

When making your double pencil pen it is better to use tape because then the pencils do not slide.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/75646-First_calligraphy_lessen_double_pencil_pen.jpg
Making Mountains
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/75646-First_calligraphy_lessen.jpg
Making mountains close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/75646-close_up_of_making_mountains.jpg
When making your mountains make sure that you start on the bottom line and move your pen upward at a 45 degree angle then when you get to the top line, move your pen downward at a 45 degree angle do not turn the pen keep your pen always in the same position this is very important. The importants of this will become evident when we start drawing letters.

Enjoy your first lessen and if you have any questions do not be afraid to ask me I hope that we can turn out some world class calligraphers here.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-14-2007, 06:05 PM
For the next part of this lessen you are going to need the calligraphy felt tip pen. You can get these at Michaels or most art supply shops. One end of the pen the tip is a 3.5mm and the other end is a 2.0mm tip. These are called Chisel-ended felt tip pens. Do not get just any felt tip pen it must be the chisel-ended pens these pen are made for calligraphy. Most of them have the word calligraphy written on them.

Chisel ended felt tip pen;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/75646-Calligraphy_pens_felt_tip_two_sided.jpg
The next pen I would like you to get is a calligraphy fountain pen to use for all your writting needs this will help you to practice your calligraphy. These also can be purchased at Michaels or most art supply shops.
Calligraphy fountain pen;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/75646-Calligraphy_pens_fountain_pen.jpg
These fountain pen have a B series nib on them and they will help you learn different hands because you can take them with you and use them instead of a ball point pen.

So while you are practicing your mountain stokes I need you to go out and get these pens they are not very exspensive. A few dollars each.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Everyone who is doing this tutorial needs to let me know if they have all the matterials that are need to move on. I do not what to move so slowly that I loose people. I think that this tutorial is worth the time and effort being that this is a calligraphy forum that has kind of morphed into a celtic art forum.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I am working on the part of the tutorial and should have it ready to post in a few days. In between being a house husband and doing my part of art projects and trying to keep this tutorial interesting and going I have a pretty full day but I love it. So just bare with me and this tutorial will get a little more exciting and fun.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I have the required pens. And I am ready to go forward with the next lesson. I will until then, practice my mountians. I will look later for the next lesson.

Thanks in Advance! :thumbsup:

tcsgrnspc

Merry Scribe
02-15-2007, 03:39 PM
The next lessen is the first four letters in Foundation Hand. The first thing that needs to be done before each exercise is to do the mountain making exercise so you remember the way to hold the pen and do the stokes the first letter is "A" practice each stoke in the letter before you actually draw the letter. Start out using the felt tip pen the 2.0mm end this makes it easier to learn the stokes. Then when you are comfortable with it practice with the 3.5mm end. Once you are comfortable with it practice with the fountain pen. Practice all of these on ruled paper if you can get the large ruled paper the easier it will be if not use regular ruled paper.
Here is the first letter;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/75646-Foundation_A.jpg
The second letter;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/75646-Foundation_B.jpg
Third letter;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/75646-Foundation_C.jpg
Fourth letter;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/75646-Foundation_D.jpg
Remember practice each stoke until you are comfortable with that stoke then move on to the next stoke. Then when you are comfortable with all the stokes then practice putting them together to form the character or letter. Be patient and in no time you will find that learning new stokes become easier and easier.

Please post your work so I can see how you are coming along and maybe help by giving tips that could make things easier.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
02-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I would like to post my lessons. But am not sure how or where to post them. I would like to know if I am doing the Calligrahpy correctly or not.

Thanks!

LifeOfArt

TessDB
02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Great start to the tutorial Brian!

I'm adding it to my favorites folder... It'll be a while before I can participate, but I'll definitely be following along! :wave:

LifeOfArt-- I'm betting Brian would like to see your work in this thread (correct me if I'm wrong!). As far as *how* to do it, when you reply to a thread, you've got two options to upload your images. The easiest, is to insert the image into the body of your post using the little icon up at the top with pictures of mountains on it. When you click that, it'll bring up a new window & you can then tell it what images you want. Just remember to make your examples 72 dpi and no more that 500 pixels wide by 600 tall. If you need more help, there's an article on how to do it in the New User's forum. You can find it here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/).

So let's see some fancy-pants writing, folks! :lol:

Tess

miek37
02-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Here is my first try at mountains in cyberspace

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/3766-Calligraphy_mountains.jpg

This is the first time in LONG time that I uploaded an image, hopes it works. I can see where my mountains are not EXACTLY the same in size and/or slant, not right, right? Helen in NC

miek37
02-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Here are my "ABCD" http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/3766-WC_Calligraphy_lesson_2.jpg

Question: I held the pen angle at 45 degrees and on the #3 stroke for the "A" it came out thin. To produce the stroke you have I would have had to turn my paper to the top of my pen nib was parallel to the top guideline. Hmmmm? Many thanks for all your work Helen in NC

miek37
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
PS Thought I had cropped my scan down to just the letters, will do better next time!! Helen in NC

Merry Scribe
02-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I would like to post my lessons. But am not sure how or where to post them. I would like to know if I am doing the Calligrahpy correctly or not.

Thanks!

LifeOfArt
You post your work to this thread.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Here is my first try at mountains in cyberspace

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/3766-Calligraphy_mountains.jpg

This is the first time in LONG time that I uploaded an image, hopes it works. I can see where my mountains are not EXACTLY the same in size and/or slant, not right, right? Helen in NC
You are using a B series nib and your mountains look fine.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Here are my "ABCD" http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/3766-WC_Calligraphy_lesson_2.jpg

Question: I held the pen angle at 45 degrees and on the #3 stroke for the "A" it came out thin. To produce the stroke you have I would have had to turn my paper to the top of my pen nib was parallel to the top guideline. Hmmmm? Many thanks for all your work Helen in NC
When I say do not turn your pen I mean when you set your pen a draw the line you do not turn your pen onces you have it set. I hope that this helps.

Blessed Be

Brian

miek37
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Brian - I am sorry but I don't understand how you got a "thick" line for stroke #3 on your "A". Since an "A" is like the mountains we just did, wouldn't the "A" be like a mountain and the #3 stroke would be "thin". Sorry I am confused. Helen in NC

miek37
02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Brian - thanks for the input!! Am using a Pigma Graphic 3 #1 archival ink 3.0mm line width felt tip chisel pen. It is stroke #3 on the upper case "A" that has me confused, as I think "A's" are much the same as the mountains we did therefore, wouldn't stroke #3 be thin and not thick like stroke #2 on the "A"?
Thanks, Helen in NC I am confused!

miek37
02-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Sorry those two got posted, only one is necessary. Helen in NC

LifeOfArt
02-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Here is my letters. I tried to use the bigger tip. But couldn't get the ink to flow. I will continue to try to work on it so I can use it for the nest set of letters.

Sorry about the darkness of the picture. The only camera I have is my phone. I hope it shows up enough for you to see if I am doing them right.

I also hope that I can insert them right on here. It is the first time for me doing this. So bare with me.

Merry Scribe
02-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Brian - thanks for the input!! Am using a Pigma Graphic 3 #1 archival ink 3.0mm line width felt tip chisel pen. It is stroke #3 on the upper case "A" that has me confused, as I think "A's" are much the same as the mountains we did therefore, wouldn't stroke #3 be thin and not thick like stroke #2 on the "A"?
Thanks, Helen in NC I am confused!
Helen if you notice when drawing the A character both sides of the A start at the top were when you were drawing your mountains the left side started at the bottom and you never lifted your pen. When drawing calligraphy characters you have to lift your pen in this hand. When we get a little more advanced we will learn hands that we do not lift our pens. Beut that is later on. For now lift your pens. Just remember in calligraphy you are drawing characters not writing letters.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Here is my letters. I tried to use the bigger tip. But couldn't get the ink to flow. I will continue to try to work on it so I can use it for the nest set of letters.

Sorry about the darkness of the picture. The only camera I have is my phone. I hope it shows up enough for you to see if I am doing them right.

I also hope that I can insert them right on here. It is the first time for me doing this. So bare with me.The first four characters here look like they were drawn wit the 2.0mm felt tip nib were they not. Now letts see them done using the 3.5mm felt tip nib. Then the fountain pen then we will move on. From what I can see everyone is do just fine.

Blessed Be

Brian

miek37
02-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Brian - Thank you for your kind and patient replys and information. I may have developed some bad habits over the years considering I am 70 years old!! It is good to be starting at the beginning and polishing up. :wave: Helen in NC

Merry Scribe
02-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Brian - Thank you for your kind and patient replys and information. I may have developed some bad habits over the years considering I am 70 years old!! It is good to be starting at the beginning and polishing up. :wave: Helen in NC

You are quite welcome Helen and I glad to be of help. We all develop bad habits over the years and some times they are hard to break. So I am glad to see someone really try and break bad habits. Any time you have any question or need help with a particular character just as and I will help willingly. I want people to learn calligraphy the right way and understand that calligraphy is an art so if you think of it as are and you are drawing these charaters it comes easier.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
My first set of letters was done with a Calligrapy pen. I have 3 sizes of nips. I use the medium one because I couldn't get the larger one to work. I have since gotten it to work. And have redone the A, B, C, and D. So here they are. I also lightened the camers. So hopefully it won't be dark like the first one. And you will be able to see them better. I also practiced more. So they don't look drawn. Hopefully they are done right!

LifeOfArt

miek37
02-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Both my grandfather and mother did professional calligraphy; pen and brush. I just love how it is like drawing and fascinated at the choreography of lst stroke, 2nd stroke, etc. etc. Over the years, due to Christmas cards and envelopes I became fairly proficient at Olde English hand, but am way behind on many, many others. Uncial was the other hand I can "do" fairly well. Can't wait for next assignment and will redo some of your first letters following your instructions exactly. Am now going back to check on my materials list. Helen in NC!

miek37
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Hello? Are we not doing this thread anymore? Of course, Brian, I know you and Annie are busy folks - so will check back in a couple of days. All my best, Helen in NC

Merry Scribe
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Hello? Are we not doing this thread anymore? Of course, Brian, I know you and Annie are busy folks - so will check back in a couple of days. All my best, Helen in NC
Everyone I am sorry that I have been slow in advancing this tutorial but since we have moved out to the country I have been trying to find the best server of the internet that we can. I found out that I can use my cell phone as a modem through Verizon and it is a lot faster than dial up. I promiss I will get the next set of letters posted tomorrow.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Here are the next six letters of the Foundation Hand like I promissed:
E
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-E.jpg
F
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-F.jpg

G
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-G.jpg

H

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-H.jpg

I

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-I.jpg

J

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-J.jpg
Remember that this hand is done with your pen at 45 degrees.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-24-2007, 12:36 AM
For those who are impatient and want to go faster here is the entire hand even though we have not learned all the stokes. I you try to do this on your oen please post your work so I can help you as you progress.

Also remember these are only the capitals of the Foundation hand.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/75646-Full_ABC.jpg
I will continue showing you how to form each character each week this is just for those who think they can do it on their own. Before each practice remember to do you mountain exercise this teachs you how to hold you pen. When we are finished with this hand I am planning to teach Uncial and Olde English for those who would like to learn those hands.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
02-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks for putting the next lesson one here. I also seen that you had put the rest of the letters up to. Are we going to learn the lower case letters also?

LifeOfArt

Merry Scribe
02-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks for putting the next lesson one here. I also seen that you had put the rest of the letters up to. Are we going to learn the lower case letters also?

LifeOfArt
Yes we are going to learn the lower case after we learn the upper case character. You have to learn to walk before you learn to run. Even though I have post the entire character list it does not mean that I will not be posting weekly lessons. The reason being is that you have not learned all of the strokes to form all of the characters.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Those of you who have been posting your work you look like you have a hand for calligraphy. I hope that no one cheats and uses a brush because it is easier. Part of learning calligraphy is learning to use the different pens and nibs. And learning the different stokes to form the different characters. This is why calligraphy is concidered an art because you are actually drawing the characters.

Blessed Be

Brian

miek37
02-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Brian! Thanks for all the homework!!! Have spent A LOT of time around my husband'sfamily farm in Paris, IL southeast of you as you are way up near DeKalb, beautiful county and wonderful people! Will get busy now! Helen

LifeOfArt
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I am posting this to let you know that I have been down with my back lately. I have 8 bulging disc. And have been in the hospital for a few days. I am back home now. :clap: And will get back to practicing my letters. And will post them soon.

LifeOfArt

pnielsen
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Here are my first 4 letters. Phyllis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2007/95820-Calligraphy-1.jpg

Merry Scribe
03-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Here are my first 4 letters. Phyllis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2007/95820-Calligraphy-1.jpg

Phyllis where these done with the felt tip or the fountain pen? In either case that are very well formed. Keep up the good work

To everyone else I have been down sick for the past five days so I do not have this weeks lesson and Annie and I have to go to a wedding this weekend in Bloomington, IL so I will not be able to post this weeks lesson until Monday sorry. Don't forget to do your mountains before every practice lesson.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
03-02-2007, 07:45 AM
I am posting this to let you know that I have been down with my back lately. I have 8 bulging disc. And have been in the hospital for a few days. I am back home now. :clap: And will get back to practicing my letters. And will post them soon.

LifeOfArt

Sorry to hear that you have been in the hospital I myself have not been well for the past week either. I hope that you are feeling better and are able to move about.

Blessed Be

Brian

pnielsen
03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your comments. My letters were done with a felt tip calligraphy pen.

Phyllis

LifeOfArt
03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, I am back to doing my letters. Here is how mine looks. I am not happy with the H,I and J. I have practiced and practiced. But they still look like this.

The red ones are done with my Calligraphy pen. The blue ones are done with the felt tip pen.

I don't if I am doing the H, I and J right or not since they keep turning out the same.:confused:

miek37
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi to all! Have lost a lot of time from my art work and calligraphy work as my husband fractured his right foot in 5 places; is diabetic, developed to HUGE open ulcers on the bottom of the foot; he now cannot drive and must keep the leg up as much as possible. All the tasks of house and yard keeping are mine now (we always shared before - married 45 years!). I have to do all the driving now and run errands to pharmacy, grocery store etc. as well as drive him to the doctors' appointments, etc. etc. Just got over almost 3 weeks of the terrible cold that EVERYBODY has had and still keep giving my one-on-one art lessons at our local art store; work on three pictures for the gallery that carries my work and do a calligraphy piece commission. Crazy business! Keep well, keep warm, keep calm and keep on with the calligraphy here. Have started work on the whole alphabet Brian gave us and hope to post a bit at a time and get everybody's in put on my work. Take care, more later - Helen in North Carolina where the daffodils and tulip trees are blooming and the temp tonight will be around 30 degrees!

LifeOfArt
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Good Day to all.......

I have been checking the Calligraphy daily to see if anyone has been posting. No one has for a while. I hope all is well.

Anyway, I am back on my feet now from having back problems. I have been practicing all the letters. And I think they are coming along pretty good. But not purfect. I still need more practice on them. But here they are.

miek37
03-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Am trying to grab little chunks of time to work on this wonderful exercise, finish three miniatures for the gallery that carries my work, to finish refurbishing a faded picture for a client(not an original of mine) she just wants a brighter red!!, to finish a calligraphy piece for a woman to give to her daughter and son-in-law as well as teach private art lessons at the art store here in town. PLUS do quite a bit of the caring for husband right now! Good luck to all, Helen in North Carolina

LifeOfArt
03-12-2007, 09:49 AM
WOW miek37, You have been busy. I wish you all the best. And prayers go out to you and your husband.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...:thumbsup:

miek37
03-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Life of Art - Thanks sooo much for your wonderful thoughts and prayers! Since the fractures in the foot cannot be brought into alignment, nor surgically pinned, as they are so "soft" and therefore, they cannot reheal in any way, there just may be an amputation somewhere down the road and as odd as it sounds, due to infections and pain, the amputation may be a blessing as all the "bad" stuff will be gone and the new procestheses they have now days are so much better than the old days. Then he can be up and around and out of pain. So, for now, day by day! We now have three doctor appointments to go to as well as an MRI appt. Am trying to squeeze in art work when he is resting so am working on the commissioned calligraphy piece as the client already paid the deposit and I have the material. More later as I can squeeze in some WetCanvas time!! All my best, Helen in North Carolina

LifeOfArt
03-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello to all.........

I am just checking in to see if everyone is doing ok and to see if there are any new lessons. Since I didn't see any new post since the last time I check in. I do hope everyone is doing good and is in the best of spirits.

Hope to see up dates from everyone soon.

God Bless to all

LifeOfArt:)

miek37
03-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Brian - By no means have I forsaken or forgotten my homework - looking forward to weekend or perhaps this afternoon to send some in to you. I used a felt tip calligraphy pen on my first "A B C D", will be using same pen for all work if OK with you, will send the "make and model" with the calligraphy I post. Best to all - have two students this morning then be done by noon and back home to the drawing board to work here and help husband. Helen

LifeOfArt
03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Brian.....I do hope all is well with you. I haven't seen any post from you since the 2nd of March. I also hope the wedding went well, and that you are feeling better.

I have been practicing my letters daily. And well post them soon. My felt pen ran out of ink. So I have to get another one. I also would prefer to do mine in the felt tip pen. The letters seem to look better and I can see if I have done them right. I hope it is ok.

God Bless

Tracey
LifeOfArt

marie_d
03-22-2007, 04:37 AM
hi everyone,
I,m new to the WC site, I joined up last week. I am learning calligraphy and pastel painting at the moment. I have already posted my first pastel painting to the soft pastel studio so I thought it was time I posted my practice letters and numbers here. I have tried basic calligraphy before, but it was about 10 years ago and I want to get back into it again.I have done the top row letters and numbers with a Pilot parallel pen size 2.4 nib, and the bottom rows are done with a Platignum calligraphy pen size 2b nib.Looking forward to the next lot of letters
Marie :wave:

TessDB
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Hi, Marie! :wave: Welcome to WC! Hopefully Brian (Merry Scribe) will be along to update this & comment on your work.

Helen & Tracey--
I know Brian was having some trouble with internet access after their move. I suspect his silence is a technology issue.

Just want to say everyone's work looks really good! Wish I could chisel out the time to jump in... I've got a few zillion projects piling up on me... :cool:

Tess

Merry Scribe
03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Hello all I was having internet problems and for the past few weeks I have not had any access to the internet at all. But as of now 4PM CST March 26th I am back and I will get this updated in a few days. I am sorry for the worry that I coused everyone but when I lost total access there was no way I could let you all know what was going on. I have no way of getting around out here as yet so I could not get to another computer. But now we are hook up via satilite and I can get back to work. Please forgive me for being gone so long. I will have the next lesson up and posted in a day or so.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Marie I am the Merry Scribe and your hand looks very good and I am glad that Tess filled in for me while I was down but now I am back and I see I have a lot of catching up to do. Also Marie welcome to this forum and the WC we have alot of great folks here.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Brian......Glad to see that you are back with us. And that you are now able to communicate with us. I will be looking foward on doing the next lesson. I am still practicing my letters. And will post them soon.

Welcome Back!!

Tracey

miek37
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Brian - let me add my welcome back to everyone else's!!!! Take your time, we are all still here and with you!!! My best to your lovely lady! Helen in North Carolina P.S. Wish I could find an easy and inexpensive way to build a computer like I did with the light box!! Well --- who knows!!

Merry Scribe
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Brian......Glad to see that you are back with us. And that you are now able to communicate with us. I will be looking foward on doing the next lesson. I am still practicing my letters. And will post them soon.

Welcome Back!!

Tracey

Thank you Tracey it is nice to know that you are missed. It is also nice to be back on the internet. You really do not realize how much you depend on something until you loose it. It is so nice to be back with my adapted family. It really was horrible not having the internet especially when you are disabled and the internet is how you get alot of your buisness taken care of like ordering medication, paying bills, ordering supplies those of you who are not disabled and really do not have to relie on the internet really do not know what a wonderful tool the internet really is.

Blessed Be

Brian

marie_d
03-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Hi Brian
Thank you for the welcome.
Good to see that you are back on line. Reading through all the various posts everyone were getting quite concerned about you. Nice to hear that you are now able to get your business affairs etc back in hand. Looking forward to your next lesson.
Tess Thank you for the welcome in Brian's absence

Merry Scribe
03-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Marie Thank you and I am glad to be able to communicate once again online. I will be posting a couple of lessons today and I am hoping to be able to get into Uncial by the middle of next month. That is if everyone continues to progress as quickly as they have been. Uncial seams to be everyone's favorite so that will be the next hand that I teach. Uncial is also one of my favorite.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Like I promissed everyone here are your next letters

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2007/75646-KLM.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2007/75646-NO.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2007/75646-PQRS.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2007/75646-TUV.jpg

You should by now start to see that all the letters are drawn with all the same stroke just aranged differently. This is why I first teach the foundation hand because it teaches you most of the strokes that are used in all hands. The next lesson that I give you I am just going to give you the letters and I will want you to break them down and show me what strokes are used to make each letter. This will teach you to look at different hands and see the strokes that are used to make the letter. This way you will be able to learn other hands easily.

Good luck and have fun. Do not forget to do your mountain exercise before you practice. Also do not forget to post your work. Everyone has done well so far so keep up the good work.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Brian....As I had posted in one of my post. Would it be ok for me to use the felt pen to do my letters in? The reason being is that I can see that they are done the way they are suppose to be. My nip is not big enough to show my work. And confuses me. I won't be able to do any work until at least Friday, because I have done so much practice. That my felt pen has run dry. And Then I am not sure that I can afford a new pen with a bigger nip. But I might be able to get just the nip and dip it. Let me know if using my work in the felt pen would be ok.

Tracey

Merry Scribe
03-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Brian....As I had posted in one of my post. Would it be ok for me to use the felt pen to do my letters in? The reason being is that I can see that they are done the way they are suppose to be. My nip is not big enough to show my work. And confuses me. I won't be able to do any work until at least Friday, because I have done so much practice. That my felt pen has run dry. And Then I am not sure that I can afford a new pen with a bigger nip. But I might be able to get just the nip and dip it. Let me know if using my work in the felt pen would be ok.

Tracey
Tracy you can do your work with what ever you want as long as you learn the strokes and that goes for everyone. If you have a dip pen and that is better for you then use it. The point is to learn the strokes and if all you have is a penciil then use it.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
04-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Here is my K-V. I had trouble with the S. But the more I practiced it. The more it slanted. All in all, I think it looks good. At least I know the stroke for the "S".

I will be looking forward to the next lesson. But in the mean time, I am still going to practice on the "S" and the other letters.

Tracey

Merry Scribe
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Tracey your letter look very good you just have to remember that calligraphy is just like any other art practice inproves your skill. Once you learn the basic strokes all the other hands will come easy. There are some differences in each hand but all of them use the same basic stoke and you have done very well in learning these basic strokes . If everyone else picks it up as fast as you seem to. We will be learning Uncial before the end of April. Uncial is a little different than the other hands because it uses its own strokes or changes the basic stroke a little. So keep up the good work and remember practice does make perfect. Once we learn the lower case lettlers which will not take long. We will move on to Uncial hand.

Blessed Be

Brian

marie_d
04-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Brian
I,m still here, just wondering if I need to do your A to Z to keep up with everyone else thats learning. I noticed as with all alphabets some variations in the hands. The one I posted is slightly different than yours, do you want me to have a go at yours as well so we are all doing the same work. Looking forward to the lower case letters.
Best wishes

Merry Scribe
04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Marie as long as you understand the basic strokes and know how to form the basic strokes your letters are fine. You will notice that even though everyone is working on the same hand you will see some differences in the characters that is because we all see things in a little different why. Just as a painter or sketch artist my be doing the same project you will see a difference in the out comes. Well the art of calligraphy is the same way. So what you have done is just fine. I am just so glad that there are a few of you who are really interested in keeping this art form alive. Today I will be working on the next exercise and have it posted hopefully tonight.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
04-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Brain.....I have checking daily for the next lesson of Calligraphy. And there way nothing posted as of the 2nd. I truly hope that things are ok with you. And you will post the next lesson soon. I really want to learn all of the hands of Calligraphy. But I find it hard when nothing is posted. I just hope you are doing fine and will post soon.

God Bless

Tracey

marie_d
04-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Hi Brian,
Like Tracey I too have been checking daily. Hope everything is well with you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Marie:)

Merry Scribe
04-19-2007, 02:28 AM
I am sorry to everyone I got a major comission and it has taken up most of my time, I am sorry that I did not got on line a tell everyone but it was a rush job an it paid well. I am finished with the comission so tomorrow I will post the next lesson . I promiss. The next lesson will be harder even though it will be only four letters. I will write the letters and I will want you to brake them down into stokes . This way I will know if you have learned the basic stokes. Once everyone has comepleted this lesson we will start learning Uncial.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
04-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Quo to Maria To Tracy I am very sorry that I have not been online.
I hope you forgive me for not been online thank you. I will post a new lesson tomorrow.

blessed be

Brian

marie_d
04-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Brian - glad to see that you are well. Please dont worry about not keeping in touch, we all understand. Nice to hear that you had a comission, are you pleased with your results? Not being nosy just interested!.
Looking forward to the uncial.
Marie :)

LifeOfArt
04-20-2007, 09:55 AM
I to am thankful that everything is ok with you. And that you was away for a very important reason. And forgive you. I also will look forward to the next lesson and the unical. See you tomorrow.

God Bless
Tracey

Merry Scribe
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
This afternoon I will post the new lesson I promiss. The final lesson will be the last four letters that you will have to show how they were designed. After everyone calls there were on this lesson we will go to the unceal.

blessed be

Brian

Merry Scribe
04-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Everyone I am sorry that I'm late in posting this lesson. I had to take care of the house emergency.

I hope everybody forgives me for being so late but here is the new lesson.
This lesson you are going to have to break down each letter into strokes like I did with all the previous letters. After everyone shows me that they can see the different strokes in each character then we will move on to unceal.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2007/75646-WXYZ.jpg
I hope that every one has fun with this.
It seems that after we moved into this farm that there has been one emergency after another. Again I beg for your forgiveness and I hope that I can continue this tutorial with out any more interruptions. I thank everyone for their patients and understanding.

Blessed be

Brian

Merry Scribe
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Im going to give you a little history about uncial. Uncial is very old the thing you have to remember Is that uncial is very round . Uncial was originally use in ancient Rome . As the centuries past Uncial ended up in Ireland.

Uncial has been the hand of Ireland for Centuries . When using this hand you have to remember round.

So when we start working with uncial you have to keep that in mind .

When everyone posts their final lesson we will start learning Uncial .

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
If you are serious about calligraphy the best book I have found is entitled The Calligraphers Bible by David Harris . I would seriously advise you to get this . It has 100 hands and it shows you how to construct each character .

marie_d
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi Brian, glad you are now back with us. Hope nothing else goes wrong for you. Here are my letters, hope they are done the right way, wasn't absolutely sure about the W whether to do the serifs seperate or do the whole line in one swipe. Gone for the second option. Done with Pilot parallel pen size 1.5mm.

Thanks for the info regards the calligraphy book, will have a look round for it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2007/102905-calligraphy_lines.jpg

LifeOfArt
04-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Glad to see that things are going better for you now. When I seen the lesson of W -Z. The letters didn't look like what we had done in your previous post. But I like the new way they look. So here is mine. I hope they are clear enough to see. The only camera Ihave is my phone.

Merry Scribe
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Glad to see that things are going better for you now. When I seen the lesson of W -Z. The letters didn't look like what we had done in your previous post. But I like the new way they look. So here is mine. I hope they are clear enough to see. The only camera Ihave is my phone.

You have done very well either I am a very good teacher or you have done calligraphy before. I think the latter is true. But in either case you have done very well. And you are ready to move on to Uncial. I will give the others a few days to post then I will start the Uncial tutorial.

The finally letters are still part of the foundation hand and it looks as though you have learned the basic strokes of calligraphy very well. This is why I always teach the foundation hand first when I teach calligraphy.

There is a hand that you will not find in any book and that is Michon the reason you will not find it is because I developed this hand. Some of my work has been done in this hand and most people like it because it is beautiful and unique. The job I am doing now is being done in Michon. I am making invitations and addressing envelopes using this hand.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi Brian, glad you are now back with us. Hope nothing else goes wrong for you. Here are my letters, hope they are done the right way, wasn't absolutely sure about the W whether to do the serifs seperate or do the whole line in one swipe. Gone for the second option. Done with Pilot parallel pen size 1.5mm.

Thanks for the info regards the calligraphy book, will have a look round for it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2007/102905-calligraphy_lines.jpg

Marie these are done excellent you are a natural calligrapher and it looks as though you are ready to move on to Uncial. Now my style of Uncial is a little different than the uncial most people use. There are several variation of Uncial out there and the one I will be teaching is the one I like the best.

Hope to see you for the second part of this tutorial.

Again you have done an outstanding job. And you did the W the correct way. But actually it can be done both ways the way you did it has more fluid motion to it and it makes the characters look cleaner.

Blessed Be

Brian

marie_d
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks Brian, look forward to the uncial. Its a hand I really like but have only recently been aware of what it was called. It will be the first time I will have tried it, I wasn't really that interested in it years ago when I last did any calligraphy (at least 10 years ago) I only did basic italics.
Look forward to our next lesson.
Best wishes

LifeOfArt
04-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Brian.....Glad to know that I have done my letters correctly. I wasn't sure because they looked different that the ones in your previous post.

I haven't done Calligraphy before. You are the first one to teach me. I just pick things up very quick.:) I hope I do just as good on the unical.

Things with me are as best that they could be, I guess. I am still having problems. But I try no to let it get to me. That is why I put myself into my art work. And I try to do some of the lessons from this site.

God Bless

Tracey

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Now before I get started into uncial I have a question to ask everyone. There are two forms of Uncial Modern and Antique which hand does every one want to learn or should I teach both?

In the mean time here is a little history about Uncial starting with the Antique.

Uncial letters (so-called in the 18th century from Latin uncia) emerged in the 2nd centery AD at the same time as parchment and vellum, both of which have smoother skin surfaces than papyrus. Skins could be bound together into a condex (book) and overall the look of the written word changed radically. Uncial became popular with expanding Christian Church as more dignified and beautiful than the simplified sursive Roman capitals. From the 4th to 8th centuries the Uncial hand v irtually replaced Rustica fo Christian books and in the copying of pagan literature. the chunky serif is a feature that distinguishes traditional Antique Uncial from is successors. The Antique Uncial uses the weged serif, although Uncials may also have clubbed serifs. Wedged serifs a formed by first making a short hairline through pulling the pen sideways to the left. Then you pull the pen down at an angle for a short distance. The pen is then lifted and the full downward stroke is made. (Letting Calligraphy Workbook by The Diagram Group.

Blessed Be

Brian

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Double post.

miek37
05-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Dear Brian I vote for both so we can experience the differences between the two. It may be that iin our work one Uncial may be more appropriate than the other; this way we will be "armed" for anything that comes our way!! Thanks for letting us give our in-put and thanks for doing all this work. Helen in North Carolina I know I am behind in my posts as my husband's fractured foot has been getting worse and worse now is broken in 7 different places and big discussion with doctor re: all the different types of surgery. If any of you have diabetes PLEASE be careful because the final up shot of all this is my dear husband of 45 years might have to have his foot amputated. Best to all ----

LifeOfArt
05-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Brian.....I also vote to do both. I want to learn as many hands as I can. I have plans of using the hands in Christmas projects for my children and grandchildren. So the more hands that I know how to do. The better verity I can put on them. :clap:

I will be out of town for a few weeks. So my post of my letters will be delayed alittle. Just thought I would let you know, so you wouldn't think that I abanded the class.

God Bless...

marie_d
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi Brian, I also will go with the flow. I would like to learn both hands. Leave the choice up to you as to which to learn first.

Merry Scribe
05-07-2007, 09:14 AM
It looks as though we are going to learn both Uncials. The first one will be Antique Uncial. The thing you have to remember about uncial is round, round that is what make Uncial unique. I will post the first lesson in a few days maybe even today if I have the time. The end of this month we are have a family reunion at our farm so I have to get it ready for all of these people who are coming. But I will try my best to keep yall buisy.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Brian.....I am ready. I have my Calligraphy in my hand. And alot of lined paper in front of me.

Just say READY-SET-GO! :D

Tracey

Merry Scribe
05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Here is the first lesson in Antique Uncial

The first letter A has four versions of it so you are getting four letters in one.

Uncial capital A
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/75646-Uncial_As.jpg

Uncial capital B

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/75646-Uncial_B.jpg

Uncial Capital C

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/75646-Uncial_C.jpg

Uncial capital D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2007/75646-Uncial_D.jpg

The one thing you have to remember with Uncial is round also you must hold the pen nib at 5 degress. You should use a C-3 0r C-4 nib if you do not have dip pens then you fountain pens will do as long as they are calligraphy fountain pens.

Enjoy your lesson and have fun. Remember if calligraphy is more like work to you and you do not have fun with it then calligraphy is not for you. Uncial can get a little frustrating but just hang in there and it will come to you. Of all the hands Uncial is probable the one you can have the most fun with and my next post I will show you how.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
05-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Brian.....Here is the first lesson. I hope they are done right. I can't wait for the next lesson. The first 4 was fun and easy to do. I like the different styles of Calligraphy. And am looking forward to the rest of the lessons on both styles of Unical. :D

God Bless
Tracey

Merry Scribe
05-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Brian.....Here is the first lesson. I hope they are done right. I can't wait for the next lesson. The first 4 was fun and easy to do. I like the different styles of Calligraphy. And am looking forward to the rest of the lessons on both styles of Unical. :D

God Bless
Tracey

Tracey you letters look fine but the "D" needs to go to the top of the line. If you look at mine you will see that the round part of my "D" goes to the topl line and the exsender is above the line. You have to watch this because when we get into the half Uncial you will see why.

Blessed Be

Brian

LifeOfArt
05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
OH ok.....I over looked that part. No wonder why it looked like a lower case. Here it is redone.

Merry Scribe
05-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Very good Tracy you are a fast learner. Uncial is one the hardest hands to master and seem to be off to a good start. Continue to practice the foundation hand to keep the stokes fresh in your head. I will post some more Uncial character in a few days I have a project I must get going on and have it finished by the 26th. It is the Black 47 band logo burned on wood and we are going to present it to them on the 27th at the concert at Gailic Park in Chicago.

Blessed Be

Brian

marie_d
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Brian, here is my letters.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-May-2007/102905-uncial_1.jpg

Merry Scribe
05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Marie your letters are very well done you and Tracey are making things hard for me becauses I have projects that I have to finish and you two learn to quickly. I can not keep up with you two.

I will try and have some more letters post in the next few days.

Blessed be

Brian

LifeOfArt
05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks Brian for the kind words. I do pick things up very quickly. I will continue to practice the 4 letters as I wait for the next lesson.

Good luck on your band logo. I know it will turn out looking very good.

God Bless
Tracey

LifeOfArt
05-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Brian......I hope that things are going well for you. I know that you have been doing a project, and I hope it is going as expected. :thumbsup:

I have been checking to see if the next lesson has been posted for the past few days. I am looking forward to learning the next two hands. :D

Hope to hear from you soon.

God Bless....
Tracey

LifeOfArt
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Brian.....I have checked this thread daily for over a month now. And I haven't seen any new post from you. I truely hope things are going ok for you.

I know that you had some work to get out by the end of last month. I hope who ever you was doing it for was happy with it. Which I am sure they was.

I also hope that this thread is going to continue. I am really wanting to learn Calligraphy in as many hands that I can. If you are unable to do this thread any longer. Just let me know and I will look else where to learn them.

Hope to see your post soon!!

The Dabbler
07-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi all!
I just tuned into this thread. I bought a book by George Thomson while on vacation this last week. It's called "The Illuminated Lettering kit" It came with four small tubes of water colors a small bottle of India ink and a wooden pen with a single nib. There's just enough information to spark my curiosity but little "how to" so I googled "calligraphy tutorial" and here I am.
I see this thread was started some time ago. I'm glad that you have decided to stick with it. I tried my hand at the first lesson and had so much fun that I've decided to make this my new obsession. I went to Hobby Lobby today and got a few more nibs to play with and somen white vellum bristol.
I have all the usual dumb( Y ) beginner questions infact I'm still trying to figure out that little reservoir thing on the nib so plz have patience:clap:

Enih
11-16-2007, 11:15 AM
You are using a B series nib and your mountains look fine.

Blessed Be

Brian

Hi i am a left-handed person and my montains come out backwards.. thoose are like /\\/\\/\\( the double \\ are the fat ones, hope you understand) and mine looks like //\//\//\..
I've tried to do them like they are suposed to looklike but it means that i have to bend my hand in a really strange position. So i wonder if anyone have a link to a left-handed toutorial?

spclvr
08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi ! :wave: Is this an active thread ? I was looking for practicing my alphabets! :angel:

InkyEss
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi :wave: I would also be interested in having a try at this... Are the lessons still running?

TessDB
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi, spclvr & ShazG! :wave:

Brian (MerryScribe) who started the tutorial has been missing-in-action for quite a while now. I'm hoping that one of the accomplished calligraphers who visit this forum will be able to start a new tutorial or pick up where this one left off in the near future... In the mean-time, feel free to start your own threads showing examples of your calligraphy/alphabets/practice pieces and ask for c&c (comments & criticisms). I'm sure you'll get some helpful feedback!

Rosemary

InkyEss
08-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Thank you, Rosemary. :thumbsup: I will certainly do that.. I'll get practising right away. Pity about the thread though... it looks like a great idea. I do hope somebody else takes up the reins.

Hiraeth
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
For any of you who've been waiting for a new calligraphy tutorial--there's a new one starting here in the calligraphy folder! :thumbsup: You can find it here (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601110).

Geoff Ford has very graciously answered the call for beginner's instruction! Geoff is an excellent calligrapher with many years of experience and knowledge. I do hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity.

If you are interested, please let Geoff know!:clap: