PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon Light - A place in my mind

Mark Newton
02-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Today's effort...some late afternoon light, purely made up, no references other than imagination and memory of course.
3' x 2' on gessoed MDF. About 3 hours or so. I think the vegetation could be lot better in this one.....needs more variation of colour...might even make some adjustments later..

This is a bad photo...shows too much contrast.

http://www.thedailylink.com/paintings/2007_62.jpg

plec
02-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Hi Mark I like this one, a really nice piece of work, it seems to have a real presence to it, good strong colouration.
Regards, Ken

idylbrush
02-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Great play of foreground, midground and background. Particularly like the way you played down the background and left it a bit fuzzy. Really accents the overall understanding of the scene.

Mark Newton
02-14-2007, 08:48 AM
This has been a hard one to photograph. I pulled out my big off camera flash for better colour temperature control and contrast. Still doesn't do the original justice....but here it is...a little more true to life.

http://www.thedailylink.com/paintings/2007_62a.jpg

Jon
02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I am particulary fond of the sky in this one. Well done!

idcrisis55
02-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Your painting reminds me of the "off the beaten path" places one comes upon unexpectedly and is immediately entranced. Good work!

chammi kaiser
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Mark, your work is wonderful. I particularly like the ghostly sunbleached trees. They add a dimension which makes the water so valuable in this painting. Also like that sky and the pink and blue reflected in the water.

eyepaint
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I too love the bleached trees and the dramatic sky. I'm also partial to any of your paintings with the ruddy red dirt :)

Cheers,
EP

Selahs art
02-14-2007, 04:53 PM
HiMark,
Is this really painted with no ref....?
It is stunning.

Retha

Poess
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
This is my favorite. I absolutely LOVE IT! Ooohhh...it is sooo sooo pretty! I'm at a loss for words. If I could paint like you I would never stop. My entire living room would be jungles and waterfalls. I love your work. So beautiful!!!
This is gorgeous....
really stunning.

Charlie's Mum
02-14-2007, 05:36 PM
It's the starkness of those dead and bleached trees that I see first - then the contrast of detailed foliage against the played-down background foliage - lots of mood and atmosphere in this Mark ....... and beautifully painted :thumbsup:

dreamz
02-14-2007, 05:43 PM
ok Mark.. it's time for you to do a wip! show us how you create such stunning work so quickly. I don't think there's anything wrong with the foliage but the tree by the waterfall is a little to bright, it grabs and holds my eye, distracting me from the over all view. of course that may just be because of the small format we're forced to view it at

objectivistartist
02-14-2007, 07:32 PM
For sure, am always impressed at how fast ye do an imaginary place... indeed, a WIP would be nice to see.... :thumbsup:

Mark Newton
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Gee,,it amazes me how I post something I think looks cruddy and people here tell me how much they like it.....many thanks folks......:wave:

Thanks Retha...yeah..I've been doing paintings purely from imagination for years....you'd think I'd be better by now. I'm doing a lot more these days, so hopefully my skills will improve....should take some lessons..

I once painted over two weekends in a busy market place and knocked up many imagination paintings in front of people...that was a lot of fun actually. I have always wanted to do that...what an experience that was...hearing all the oooh's and aaah's as bushes and trees would seemingly spring from the hairs of my brush and like in minutes... People are always amazed to see painters do this. In fact that is how I got started in painting. I saw a fellow painting fast (15min) landscapes that were big time stunning....I just stood there in awe and watched him do a heap of them. All from imagination, and they were absolutely beautiful....I FELL IN LOVE....:heart: ....not with the painter...but what he was doing. I studied his technique and commited it to memory, even though I had never painted at that time...I had always drawn. This happened to me while on holidays...I was 3000km away from home. On the drive back my mind thought of nothing but painting...:D I had heard him say to people he was using acrylics...so I bought some acrylics and some of those cruddy canvas boards...that I no longer use....and practised for 6 months non-stop...and then sold my first paintings....and well, never stopped...slowed down at times, but never stopped....I just LOVE IT..

ok Mark.. it's time for you to do a wip! show us how you create such stunning work so quickly. I don't think there's anything wrong with the foliage but the tree by the waterfall is a little to bright, it grabs and holds my eye, distracting me from the over all view. of course that may just be because of the small format we're forced to view it at

HI Doc.... I have done WIP's here in the past...I was thinking what I should do is film it happening and then speed it up and post a link to a film file...that would be pretty crazy. Yeah,,....the tree looks right in the original...this image just doesnt show the afternoon glow that the painting actually has. The painting shows a very strong afternoon light coming over from the RHS (slightly behind viewer)and the tree top is being illuminated in full sunlight, under that is shade...but I just cant produce an image that shows the colours and tones accurately...bugs the hell out of me.

dreamz
02-15-2007, 01:22 AM
as great as this box is it does have limitations, is there anything as aggravating as taking 20 pictures and not having a singleone accurately represent your work?

I think the vid idea is a smasher!

Flattwo
02-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Hello Mark

This is excellent, an intriquing technique here, almost dream like..super

Henry

Leslie Pz
02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Love the sky and the trees (especially the soft ones in the back).

velvet
02-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Mark: I really like what you do with trees.I understand completely the problems with getting an accurate photo. But your work is great and the colors are wonderful. Good job as usual.

Tazart
02-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Another beautiful painting, love the waterfall & would def love to see a video too :thumbsup:

Kerch
02-16-2007, 01:04 AM
There's always a wonderful mysterious atmosphere to your paintings. You have such a vivid imagination.