PDA

View Full Version : The Watercooler - Finally finished

CreativeHal
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Hiya guys,

Well, it's finally finished. I thought about what John and some of the rest of you said about removing the turtle. There wasn't any problem in removing him but the problem was the boulder he sits on. I painted that in with a palette knife and sand gesso. If I would paint the water over top of the boulder, you would see all of the ridges created by the palette knife and it would look like something was painted over. It would look like a patch-up job, so the decision was taken out of my hands. I did darken the boulder somewhat as I had planned. Also, I shortened the title from "Around The Watercooler" to "The Watercooler."

It can also be viewed here: http://creativeillusions.tv/_wsn/page3.html

Any C&Cs are always welcome.

Lady Carol
02-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Awesome finish. You are really really good at water. I could just jump into the water it looks so real.

JStoltz
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I think it turned out great. The texture of that boulder is wonderful and the water is amazing.

Jeff

Charlie's Mum
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Beautiful cool light in a forest clearing - with water of course!
Lovely Harold.

C_Line
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I love this Hal. I like the turtle too - explains the title. Your water is amazing!

idcrisis55
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Wonderful work, Hal! I am pleased you left in the turtle. You finished it off perfectly.

objectivistartist
02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes - this is such a delightful piece to look at, one of the few works could actually see hanging on my wall, where would not tire of seeing it every day as passing by it... as said, that water is so inviting, want to jump into it.... :thumbsup:

Tazart
02-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Superb, simply gorgeous - your water is indeed incredible & personally I am overjoyed the turtle stayed, it wouldn't be much of a watercooler with only one animal (no gossip :lol: !!!) Seriously, the first time I glanced at this painting on the first thread, I focussed on the light, deer & the water then after looking more closely saw the turtle, boulder plus the underwater rocks, detail on the trees etc all of which are just as beautiful as the areas I saw first, it's like finding hidden treasures, the turtle being my fave, now he's the first thing I see !!!!

CreativeHal
02-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Thank you guys.

Hiya Carol, thank you. I have found that in my years of working as an illustrator, I had to paint cars, horses, people, spaceships, products and cartoons. The trick for me was to concentrate on the textures of the subjects. Once i got the texture down, usually I could paint anything. I never specialized in anything Carol. I am what you would call a good hack and i am proud of it too.

Thanks Jeff, I think I explained that above...I mean the textures.

Hiya Maureen, thank you. I had a tough time keeping it cool. I had to mix lots of cobalt blue with my greens in order to keep them on the cool side.

Hiya Celeste, Thank you, I was browzing your website enjoying your beautiful floral paintings.

Hiya Ann, It was a tough decision. If it were possible to take the boulder out of the painting, the turtle could be swimming up another river. I wouldn't eliminate the turtle and leave the boulder, it would only be half a story.

Hiya Robert and thank you for your remarks about my painting. I have been looking at this painting for the past 3 weeks, morning, noon and night. So far I haven't gotten bored with it, so I guess I will frame it, hang it and hopefully sell it. Norman Rockwell thought if his painting wasn't popular then it wasn't good. My thought is, if it doesn't bore me then it must be good.

Hiya Taz. I planned it just the way you described it. Thank you for putting it in words for me.

Hal

bowerbird
02-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Hal that is one of the most beautifull paintings i have ever seen !! Love it :)

chammi kaiser
02-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Beautiful romantic style painting. Simply stunning.

Mark Newton
02-14-2007, 06:53 AM
:lol: That turtle always reminds me of a German WWII helmet....

He fits pretty well actually, and really adds another dimension. The whole painting has been done so well you could have put a beach ball there and it would have worked. Bloody brilliant IMO....wish I could paint like that.

bionicanaconda
02-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Bonza painting and the water is a real gem. Your talent is clear to see.
In the distance the scene is really atmospheric. Your painting is most impressive.

Jon
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Beautiful canopy and you've captured the water so accurately! Nice!

CreativeHal
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Thank you Maria, that made my efforts creating this painting worthwhile.

Hiya Chammi, for this painting, I had taken such a nice photograph for my reference, all I had to do was copy it.

Hey Mark old buddy, you and I both. When I was painting that little turtle, I was tempted to paint more details on his shell so it didn't look like an old WWII German helmet but that would have brought too much attention to the turtle which I didn't want. Now, maybe I was wrong. I am going to have to let it sit for awhile and then go back for a fresh look. Thanks Mark.

Thank you Stephen, I wish the image posted here could show the depth of colors I painted in the trees. I think there is something wrong with my scanner.

Hiya Jon. You're right about that canopy. The canopy was so thick where I was standing to shoot my photographs that I felt like I was in a soundproof room with the only sounds coming from the movement of the river. It was very tranquil.

Hal

ArtsyMom
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
:wave: Hi Hal,
While checking here I see you have posted your "Watercooler" painting here too. I have a painting here too and it's called "Boqueron, PR". I painted it recently and would like to see what you think of it? Of course, your painting is by far much better and professionaly done than mine but I'm trying. If you don't mind me saying, your painting technique reminds me of the artist, Yarnell's work. His paintings look like they're done in oils but he works in acrylics mostly. You can check his website and you'll see what I mean. Yarnellart.com, okay? Lil :clap:

CreativeHal
02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Hiya Lil,

I gave my comments about your painting in your thread. Thank you for yours. Also thanks for comparing me to Joseph Yarnell, he a very competent artist.

Hal