PDA

View Full Version : Calligraphy Tutorial

Merry Scribe
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I would be willing to post a Calligraphy Tutorial if there is enough interest in this forum to do a tutorial. If you are interested in this and you answer the poll let me know what hand you would like to see taught. I can teach most hands and if the is one I don't know then I will research it an teach it also. Once you learn the basic strokes in calligraphy it is easy to pick up other hands. Most hand use the same basic strokes they are just aranged differently in the different hands.

Blessed Be

Brian

Megliz
02-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Brian,
I would be interested in a basic hand so I can build from there.

Blessed Be,
Megliz

TessDB
02-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Good idea, Brian!

I probably won't be able to participate right away... but I'll definitely follow along!

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
We see after 4 days if we have enough people to start a calligraphy tutorial because it take a lot of time to set up a tutorial and to learn how to write takes a lot of time and will power. If you realy want a calligraphy tutorial we need to get the word out. My method does not need alot of special material but it does take alot of practice and I will show you the best way to practice once you learn the basic strokes.

Blessed Be

Brian

marie_d
03-15-2007, 05:47 AM
I'd like to learn uncial
Marie

Cherlin
04-14-2007, 06:44 AM
I would love to learn more. currently i have purchased a few books but i have a lot of questions. i would like to learn more about calligraphy. Also what tools to get and where to get them. i am having a hard time finding them and when i do the prices are very high.

"J"
04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
I have taken Chancery and Uncial but could stand a refresher.

kjsphoto
04-27-2007, 06:24 AM
I would be interested also.

Tammamo
04-29-2007, 07:49 AM
I would love to learn calligraphy, I am new and working on pen and ink mainly but calligraphy has been something I wanted to learn for a long time.
I do not know about hands, but I think we should start with something basic for those of us with no previous experience..
Thank you so much for the initiative

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I would be interested also.Then join us with the calligraphy tutorial we would love to have you. By the by welcome to the WC

Blessed be

Brian

Merry Scribe
05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I would love to learn calligraphy, I am new and working on pen and ink mainly but calligraphy has been something I wanted to learn for a long time.
I do not know about hands, but I think we should start with something basic for those of us with no previous experience..
Thank you so much for the initiative
Join us in the calligraphy tutorial we would love to have you next week I will be starting lessons in Uncial and I will continue the tutorial as long as people want to learn calligraphy. By the By welcome to the WC

Blessed Be

Brian

Joshtsi
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I would love to have a calligraphy tutorial. Recently attended a calligraphy workshop and it was fun and would love to do more of it. Particularly backgrounds.

mtv65
05-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I too would love one and I am especially interested in the difference between the different styles in chinese claligrapy - how do you translate a ordinay traditional or simplefied sign into artistic calligraphy

farmgirl2town
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I would be interested in this, Im not very good at calligraphy and only play around with it. It's been awhile though, I'm left handed and find it hard to keep my hand at that angle.

Wish~Crafts
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I am left handed. Want to learn Calligraphy and will be attending my first workshop soon. An award winning left-handed teacher will be there to inspire. Yea.

mcat
12-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I am diving back into calligraphy after many years away ( and two small kids finally in school ). I need a practice outline and a basic refresher course; after that I am hoping to learn some modern scripts.( My background is in Copperplate.) Thanks!

Alex22
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I would loooove to have a calligraphy tutorial,but the problem is that I don't have much time to be on line:( .My calligraphy is really bad and a little help would be appreciated...But still I voted yes for anyone who would like to have one here.Cheers.

artnonomous
02-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I hope you would include supply suggestions if you do the lessons. I would be interested in learning what brand of pens and nibs. I had bought some years ago and did not have much luck getting them to hold the ink in the resevoir.
( The only type of pen I have had luck with is the type that uses a cartridge probably a Shaeffer) I really would like to use a dip type calligraphy pen.
---thanks

Jesterjangles
02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello. I haven't been in this forum before, but I'd like to participate in the calligraphy tutorial. I'm wondering if it has started yet and I just can't find it? Jesterjangles:cat:

Goewyn
02-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I did quite a bit of calligraphy and illumination many years ago as part of a reenactment scribe's guild, I can chime in with historical stuff and also good books to work from. :)

mtv - I want to answer your question regarding Chinese calligraphy, but its so hard to describe, it's so much easier to "show n tell" ... are you able to write basic chinese now? Have you studied characters?

-- Linda

ncohen
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi! I'm also a lefty, and found 2 books that contradict each other on how lefties should draw the letter-forms. I'm figuring it out as I go along, and I manipulate the paper quite a bit...sometimes I make marks from above the baseline (I'm normally a hooking-left, with an aerial approach ;), but sometimes I attack the baseline from below. I'm interested in basic italian type, but anything that will make me more comfortable with using pen and ink would be great. I just saw some awesome penmanship in 'Copperplate' style calligraphy on youtube that is breathtakingly beautiful. Calligraphy is not one whit less demanding than "fine art" penmanship...so why is it considered a lesser art form? Thanks for offering the tutorial.

Goewyn
02-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Hi, I'm a lefty too and my whole theory of writing is, as long as you do it without smearing the ink, that's ok. Of course, this involves a crooked hand posture that holds the wrist above the line and a bit of waiting for the ink to dry! :rolleyes: And the occasional bit of eloquent language when the hand did land in a still-wet bit of lettering.

My bigger issue when I was first starting out was that the nibs that they sold back then were mainly for righties,or so it seemed (cut slightly at an angle on the tip of the nib). Of course, this was before the Age of Michael's, so art supplies were a bit less prevalent and with less options per item.

My final tool when I was calligraphing frequently was the Scheaffer calligraphy pen which came with cartridges rather than having to dip. Also, the nib was cut straight across for both left and righties. I usually lettered with the medium nib, though, as the small and large nibs provided in their kit didn't seem to have great ink flow.

I did occasionally use dip pens when doing demonstrations, but got frustrated when the occasional blotch occured on an otherwise perfectly good manuscript (see here) (http://lamgallery.com/reg/05/queenpoem.jpg) :p so the entire page would be trashed. Therefore, when no one was watching, cartridge pens it was for me.

-- Linda
(P.S. Here's a scrap of calligraphy (http://lamgallery.com/reg/05/aoacall1.jpg) done with the cartridge pen for comparison. As you can see, much less blotchiness.)

ArtByLen
05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm interested.

tanjoreartist
06-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Hi ArtByLen,

the tutorial has already been posted here, just click and enjoy.!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401896

Gowri:heart:

Carrie
06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I'm a lefty and I just took a class last fall with a Student of Loyd Reynolds. I was shown an entirely different technique to approach the paper! Phenominal.!. It will take some doing to break old habits; lots of practice but I'm getting it, hardly ever a smear either.

Carrie

azulparsnip
12-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I would follow along if it was not too demanding and not too boring -

jjsangel
12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey I would try to follow along with it since my work isn't keeping me very busy these days.

Pelli
09-25-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd love to see a calligraphy tutorial! I just bought a Staedtler calligraphy set-it was on sale and the pens were so pretty I couldn't resist :-)
Now I'd love to learn to use them!

quills
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I would follow along if it was not too demanding and not too boring -
Unfortunately exactly what learning Broad Cut Dip Pen Calligraphy is the most demanding critical subject you can find...there are no short cuts, but afterwards you can fly :thumbsup: