PDA

View Full Version : Joan Leslie the Muse as "Lady Lilith"

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
02-11-2007, 11:52 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-11-2007/98607_JOAN_AS_LILITH_I.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-11-2007/98607_JOAN_AS_LILITH_II.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-11-2007/98607_JOAN_AS_LILITH_VI.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Joan Leslie the Muse as "Lady Lilith"
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
In the three portraits that I have rendered in oils of my late soul-light and wife, Joan Leslie, I tried to capture her essences as well as her multifarious personality on canvas. I worked from Photos because by the time I did these paintings Joan was already departed from this corporeal world we inhabit. I don' think that my digital camera captured all the true nuances of color that I tried to subtly apply to the canvas, but I will leave all that up to your trained and discerning eyes.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested in being critiqued with the utmost discerning eyes of my piers. I want to know if my color schemes work and if my flesh tones look natural. If you can see my brush work and it is chaotic or haphazardly done please let me know. I am striving for quality and my own style with out trying to copy others. I think subconsciously though that other artist do peek through our work now and again.

La_
02-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Well, your Joan Leslie was a sexy lady, very vibrant ... your style here is quite attractive.

I hope you have posted your images in the portrait forum, and in the structured critiques forum (which is a no kudo's allowed forum). You will get the most discerning eyes there ... in here we (I) will mostly drool and bow at your feet. (just kidding - there are some very wise eyes here too ; )

Thanks for sharing,

La

Eduardo Flores
02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
...if my color schemes work and if my flesh tones look natural. If you can see my brush work and it is chaotic or haphazardly done...
I'm trying (always difficult...) to read the personality of this lovely Lady through the colors, more than the forms. This because you used colors freely, meaning that you agree with the concept that color, for the painter, is the foundation, the essence.
Of Her, I can think in a personality strong, brilliant, the "noblesse" of an actress of movie or theatre, or maybe belonging to the literary world.
A character that could space from the brilliance and will of the first portrait, up to the tenderness and interiority of the second one; finally, with all respect, what clear, expressive, beautiful eyes!
Do your flesh tones look natural? No, luckily! You used an uncommon harmony of gold, purple, blue reaching a power of expression not possible with the traditional, natural formulas. these can give excellent results, but you managed to transcend the natural, daily expression to a level I would say of spirituality.
Is your brush work chaotic? I don't know, it is loose and spontaneous, well suitable for the intended result. Anyway, chaos has a fundamental space in our reality, as well as in modern physics...
Please let me know what you think.
Best regards,

Eduardo

Spyderbabe
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi William,
Welcome to OCF.... first question that comes to mind is are you related to William Sergeant Kendall?
the second is, are these three different paintings or crops of the first one?
I want so much to get a better look... it seems like the digital is suffering from indoor lighting which is making it all a bit yellow-cast. Could you get a shot of this in outdoor natural light?

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
First, I would like to thank you for your glowing comments on my art work. I am still trying to master both my art and my writing. I am not as good as some artist, but it doesn't bother me -- much...just kidding. I am also an aspiring writer and I am working on my first set of six books: LILITH'S CHILD.

Second, I am working on some new material -- one is a painting of Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan (which I am doing in honor of my recently deceased friend, Dr. Darrel C. Richardson, he not only knew Edgar Rice Burroughs personally, but he was friends with Johnny Weismuller as well. the Editor and publisher of the World's largest fanzine of ERB is going to feature my painting there at www.erbzine.com/darrell/ -- hopefully this will get you to the site.)

The interesting thing is or was for me in meeting Dr. Darrell C. Richardson, was that I also meet my mentor and friend Burne Hogarth. Dr. Richardson's collection of original paintings by John A. St. John were breath taking. If you get a chance check out John Allen St. John at the ERB site.

Once again thanks for reviewing my work and I will try to post my almost finished Tarzan painting on the Oil Painting or Portraiture threads.

Until next time...I await your kind reply.

bk

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Please excuse these form like letters of comments and acknowledgements. I have received so many kind replies that I feel I have a responsibility to reply and acknowledge each and every one of you, however, its seems that my time is to limited -- between writing on my series of books: LILITH'S CHILD and painting and drawing -- well you all know how that is.

First, I would like to thank you for your glowing comments on my art work. I am still trying to master both my art and my writing. I am not as good as some artist, but it doesn't bother me -- much...just kidding. I am also an aspiring writer and I am working on my first set of six books: LILITH'S CHILD.

Second, I am working on some new material -- one is a painting of Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan (which I am doing in honor of my recently deceased friend, Dr. Darrel C. Richardson, he not only knew Edgar Rice Burroughs personally, but he was friends with Johnny Weismuller as well. the Editor and publisher of the World's largest fanzine of ERB is going to feature my painting there at www.erbzine.com/darrell/ -- hopefully this will get you to the site.)

The interesting thing is or was for me in meeting Dr. Darrell C. Richardson, was that I also meet my mentor and friend Burne Hogarth. Dr. Richardson's collection of original paintings by John A. St. John were breath taking. If you get a chance check out John Allen St. John at the ERB site.

Once again thanks for reviewing my work and I will try to post my almost finished Tarzan painting on the Oil Painting or Portraiture threads.

Eduardo, I too believe in chaos theory. I have read extensively on this subject which has lead me to complexity theory and emergence theory. Have you read the book "Beyond Chaos" by Mark Ward?

bk

[email protected]

FARRORAVENKNIGHT
02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Please excuse these form like letters of comments and acknowledgements. I have received so many kind replies that I feel I have a responsibility to reply and acknowledge each and every one of you, however, its seems that my time is to limited -- between writing on my series of books: LILITH'S CHILD and painting and drawing -- well you all know how that is.

To answer your question no I don't think I am related to William Sergeant Kendall, but I would like to know who he is? Yes this is the same painting each sequential digital image was made by moving closer to the canvas. Yes, I will take it out doors am do some photos of it, and post them here and on the portraiture forum. I agree with you the colors are a lot better when you can discern all the nuances that are there rather getting a particular dominating color -- do to either the in accuracy of the digital camera (which we know there to accurate so we cannot blame that on them...just kidding.) and the amount of ambient light available as well as the angle of incident.

bk

[email protected]