PDA

View Full Version : New Gouache Painting

Old Tex
02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
8x10 from a photo in the reference library (Sorry, I didn't write down the name of the photographer.)

Did this during the weekend, and thought I'd share. This is my fourth attempt at painting, and boy am I excited. I'm having a ball!

meglyman
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Looks like you are learning the "chunky" aspects of gouache really well! I'm still learning which styles go best and... not so much... with gouache. This style looks great. I really like the bit of blue you put on the rim of his glasses.
Meg

Old Tex
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Thanks Meg. This is the way I wanted to paint, and it's kind of fun to see that it works. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to see how much is going to change after it dries completely. Went to your website, by the way. I think my favorite is Bugsy, and I like your gouache of Grandpa.

meglyman
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for looking! The two you named are two of the most recent, so it's encouraging! Your website also has some great stuff. I like Jumbo and your portraits and the cp roses... it's all great! Hope to see some of your gouaches up there soon.

Did your painting dry much different? Sometimes it seems to dry darker, sometimes lighter...

Meg

katsarecool
02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I love this portrait very much. What a beautiful job you have done here. Awesome! I don't want to be picky but that beautiful back ground competes with the subject. Both are lovely but the man is incredible!

JamieWG
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I can't believe this is only your fourth attempt at painting and you pulled off a portrait like this! Wow! You've got some huge talent in there! Very nice job.

Jamie

Old Tex
02-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Thank you all!
Meg, it actually dried fine. I'm finding that I have to try to anticipate what's going to happen to the colors when they dry from one night to the next. We'll see if I'm successful on the WIP I started Sunday night. I've scanned each night's work so far, so I can remember the steps I'm going through.
Nancy, I appreciate the observation about the background. I love putting these backgrounds into my pictures, but maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. Maybe a smaller brush next time.
Jamie, the encouragement I'm finding on this site is incredible! Thank you!

As I say, I've got a new one on the board, but I've got a major question about it. I don't want to become a nuisance by posting too much, but I think I'd like to put it up as a new post and get some feedback.

meglyman
02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Please do post it! The more the merrier, especially if you have a question. We may or may not have an answer... but I bet many of us have the same question. ;)

Sonia
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Great portrait - I like the background and I personally don't feel it competes with the subject.

Just one question, are your whites all painted in gouache, or do you leave some of the ground unpainted? (I'm assuming, of course, that you are working on a white ground - I may be wrong.)

Old Tex
02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Sonia,

Yes it is a white ground, and yes, I think there are some places on his left side that probably didn't get white paint. Everywhere else I used white gouache.