PDA

View Full Version : cost effective canvas

universalgroove
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
just wanted to get some info on making my own canvas, have never tried it before and am tired of paying for the cheap store bought ones. any ideas on the most cost effective way to get a good quality canvas for a reasonable price? am looking to work in acrylics and size would be around 30 by 40 to be shown in galleries, thanks in advance 4 your responses, pb

Jackie339
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Your best bet is to stretch your own. Buy the stretchers and canvas from Jerry's Artarama or Mister Art, get a staple gun and do it yourself. It's not difficult, and you can find directions online and probably right here on Wet Canvas. Good Luck, it's very rewarding to stretch your own canvases!

idylbrush
02-11-2007, 01:07 PM
....a canvas plier would also be helpful but not required. I have one I purchased 30 years ago and it still works and looks nearly new. Good investment.

dreamz
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Theres a number of discussions on stretchers and stretching canvas in the studio and tips area

polyrealism
02-11-2007, 08:05 PM
i found that once you account for the canvas, gesso, stretcher bars and such, you are not saving much money compared to the prices in online stores. i cut my own wood for the canvases i stretch, order unprimed linen online, and prime it with toned gesso, but only for oil paintings, because i cannot find the ready made linen canvases with the structure and color i need. for acrylic paintings, quite honestly, it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.

C_Line
02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
i found that once you account for the canvas, gesso, stretcher bars and such, you are not saving much money compared to the prices in online stores. i cut my own wood for the canvases i stretch, order unprimed linen online, and prime it with toned gesso, but only for oil paintings, because i cannot find the ready made linen canvases with the structure and color i need. for acrylic paintings, quite honestly, it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.

I agree - I stretched several of my own recently and did save on the smaller "money" canvases that were going to be framed, but if you're buying gallery wrapped thickness stretchers, plus your time involved, it's not much savings. I buy fairly large gallery wrap canvases from DickBlick.com for a reasonable price - at least half what they cost in a retail store.