PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe 2/11 to 2/17/07

idylbrush
02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Maybe this will be the week to garden or maybe a week to paint. Who knows, I surely don't.

mrs willow
02-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Oh! I would love a week to paint! But I do have two days ( sorry, 1/2 days) and I aim to make the most of them.:D :D
Sandy

Marge Wms
02-11-2007, 08:59 AM
My painting is always CALLING to me! Can't seem to help myself! My gardening doesn't call me anymore.. my DH has taken that over. It's usually too %##)(& hot here anyway. I'll be watching to see if you start something, Howard! Gigi

idylbrush
02-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Lucky you.

Me, on the other hand have dirt under the nails.

This is the dahlia that is sprouting for me right now.

Hope it blooms.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/36241-Dahlia.jpg

Lady Carol
02-11-2007, 09:42 AM
That will be a stunning flower when it hatches.

Speaking of hatching, these hatched during the week in one of our bathrooms.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/11811-IMG_7856-01.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/11811-IMG_7858-01.jpg

idylbrush
02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Carol, some of my favs. Moth Orchids are a wonderful thing, they put up with almost anything and still bloom. Lovely photos by the way.

Lady Carol
02-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks. Glad you like the photos. They are some of my favourites too. Easy to grow and will flower twice a year.

mrs willow
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Howard and Carol...both these are beautiful flowers...never heard of Moth Orchids though...what sort of climate and conditions do they need?
Sandy

idylbrush
02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
It is a phaleonopsis by name, common name is moth orchid. Mine survive on benign neglect.

I fertilize once every two to three years if I can remember. They do like a weak fertilzer solution. I put mine in a tree and forget I have them until I see the blossoms. The less I do the better they are. I have orchids I have been growing for over 20 years and I do almost nothing. Best care you can give them.

Lady Carol
02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Room temperature, bright light, water once a week. Don't let them sit in water. I have them on the edge of the bath so any water that flows through runs into the bath. They are very easy to grow. I fertilize about once a month with an orchid fertilizer.

Funny Howard, we cross-posted.

mrs willow
02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info Howard and Carol. They sound like the sort of plants I might be able to keep alive.....might just wait until this crazy drought breaks first ( I hope to goodness it will be soon)

eyepaint
02-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Wow, beautiful orchids. I was given an orchid several years ago but it turned out to harbour pests, which took over my other plants, which led to the great houseplant wipeout of 2001. I had no houseplants for almost a year (very sad) because I wanted to be sure the bugs (scales I think?) were gone.

Then I had a bit of a plant binge - I bought three this time, two or three the next time I went shopping, and figured some of them wouldn't make it.
They're all healthy, happy, and hardy, and my living room is mostly ... green. :)

I was given another orchid last year and thought oh-no, here we go again. But this one has been fine. However, I haven't managed to get it to flower again - I read that a 6 degree C drop in temperature overnight for several weeks would help? I think I fertilize all my plants about twice a year whether they need it or not.

Cheers,
EP

Gillette
02-12-2007, 12:29 AM
I love reading this, and I want to say how disappointed I am when I try to see which country, and maybe a little personal data on their personal profile, of newish members, and there's nothing, not even a flag any more. When I joined I felt encouraged to introduce myself, why has it changed, anyone know?
Even if I don't join in very often I do appreciate the friendly atmosphere you all radiate, and Howard you really do give a lot of your time to this forum ,thankyou.
Jane.

bowerbird
02-12-2007, 01:11 AM
YES Ditto ! :lol:

Tazart
02-12-2007, 01:26 AM
OK as a complete plant & flower moron - thank you guys for the orchid advice, just to prove how stupid I am :o ..... if I want an orchid in my bathroom, do I buy a pot & seeds or can I buy one from a garden centre & if so how long does it live for as an indoor plant or do you just nurture them inside, then re-plant outside ? I'm assuming orchids do not survive a NJ winter .... :lol: !!!!

Jane, I'm fairly new & couldn't wait to get my avatar, flag, location & signature set up - to me I wouldn't have posted without it but I know what you mean, it is nice to know where folks originate from - I had always assumed people just hadn't figured out how to do it yet ... ???

idylbrush
02-12-2007, 08:55 AM
:clap:

I got some new goodies for my work. These are turquoise in matrix and carved and polished.

found them last night. Had been invited out to dinner and there was a neat bead shop. Not a great selection but certainly a fascinating place. These caught my eye and robbed my wallet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/36241-Turquoise.jpg

Orchids are easy to grow folks. they generally come potted in the correct pot (should have big slashes on the sides) and a soak in tepid water now and again is good. Fertilize now and again with a very weak solution and you should be fine. Bathrooms with showers are idea because the humity is high and good for orchids. Moth orchids are amongst the easiest to grow. They are not meant to be planted in soil, it will kill them. Thre are only a few ground orchids, lady slippers and nun hoods are ones that come to mind. Don't pamper them. They don't like being fussed over.

yayamama
02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I have some moth orchids that never need any care,except a little dusting once in a while. I have to admit, I am a plant killer. Give me a plant and I can kill it in no time flat. sooooooooo I get those beautiful artificial ones that don't need watering. Plants cringe when they see me coming. By the way, to photos are beautiful.

I am one of those who doesn't have a flag and such, because I don't know how to do it. I will try to figure it out though.

Yayamama (my grandkids call me yaya and my initials are mama) [a little personal note]

owenj
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
EP, that's really too bad about your houseplant wipeout. Scale are nasty little pests! The school greenhouse I work in has terrible problems with them & I feel like I'll be fighting an unending battle for the rest of my time here.
Another good low maintenence orchicd is the paphiopedilum (slipper), which I believe Howard previously mentioned. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the phals though depending on your taste.

Charlie's Mum
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I love to read people's profiles and am also disappointed that many just leave everything blank ...... is it giving away secrets to at least say where you live - in a general sense? ... just a little bug-bear of mine!

My orchid - similar to Carol's in colour, was given to me Christmas 2005 and has flowered continuously since. It lives on the kitchen window sill - no sun for 6 months - and has produced two new leaves, a whole new stem and umpteen flowers ...... I give it the occasional drink, but I do talk to it!

Miserable and wet - and a bit cold .... no gardening here for probably another couple of months ... I'm so envious of Howard being able to dig, weed, plant and sow this early in the year! I still have the big spring tidy-up to do when it's warm enough!

idylbrush
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/36241-yelloworchids.jpg

this is one of my favorites. It is now in my hands about 20 years and every year it amazes me with stem after stem of delicious yellow flowers.

dreamz
02-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Yaya, although I am not a plant killer, I don't spend as much time gardening as I used to. When we were creating floral centerpieces for my daughters wedding we hit up Garden Ridges discount area and bought a BUNCH, well we had a good number of pretty silk flowers left over. I stuck groups of flowers in amongst the ferns out side, floral branches into containers who's plants wheren't flowering etc etc. Some are still out there 2 yrs later while others have been replaced. They've even fooled a couple of gardener friends :lol:

mrs willow
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Those orchids are beautiful Howard...no wonder you like growing them. ...very paintable too!:D
Sandy

Tazart
02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow I really never knew Orchids are so low maintenance, definitely sounds like I should buy one as I am rubbish with other plants - don't know why but I always imagined they would be very hard to look after as I always viewed them as a precious, exotic, 'luxury' type of flower !!!!!

owenj
02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Orchids used to be considered only for the "expert" gardener, but these days there are several hardier types available. The two most common reasons we see/hear at work that kills orchids are too much water and/or too much direct sunlight. I'd love to get one for my dorm room but I have an unobstructed south facing window, & no room w.all the other plants I have lol.

Tazart
02-12-2007, 11:43 PM
well if I buy one for my bathroom I can guarantee no sunlight & minimal watering so I'm off to the garden centre/florists tomorrow :thumbsup: :lol: !!!!

pakc
02-13-2007, 01:30 AM
oh my gosh..you have a vanda....sweet.
Ok have to admit I have orchid fever myself.

Jeff Rage
02-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Carol - that's an amazing photo there!

yAy - forcast today - 2-5 inches of slop. Snow, then fereezing rain, sleet, and rain.

Clever
02-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi all, I've never posted in a chatty forum before here at WC...this one seems manageable. This is the funniest thread because I too, am a convicted plant killer. I am even able to kill curly bamboo.

Here in Summerville our weather has been back and forth...I wish it would just go forth and be done! We've already suffered our 3-4 days of winter!

Seriously though I am so excited about attending an acrylic workshop this weekend...have not painted in acrylic in 20 years. If I produce anything work looking at I will share. I plan to prepare two scenes both of downtown Charleston SC. Did I say I am excited?

Well, I'm off to prepare the paper for the weekend and perhaps work on a mixed media piece and perhaps finally get that portrait on paper, it has been waiting but not calling so it is easy to ignore.!

idylbrush
02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Carols orchid is a phal. mine is an oncidium. The flowers on mine are about the size of a dime to a nickel. Very small.

My garden is moving slowly where I had to do some rearranging. I have allowed myself a short time everyday to get out there otherwise i would spend the day and not get any mailings done or artwork for that matter.

So, knowing that, this is as far as I have gotten.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/36241-gardenday5.jpg

idylbrush
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Parade in my front yard. These guys are funny. They are curved bill ibis. Lovely and quite a treat to see a flock of 20 to 30 strutting across the front yard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/36241-Ibis.jpg

Lady Carol
02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
OK as a complete plant & flower moron - thank you guys for the orchid advice, just to prove how stupid I am :o ..... if I want an orchid in my bathroom, do I buy a pot & seeds or can I buy one from a garden centre & if so how long does it live for as an indoor plant or do you just nurture them inside, then re-plant outside ? I'm assuming orchids do not survive a NJ winter .... :lol: !!!!
I am just next door in Pennsylvania and I don't leave mine outside. Consider them lovers of room temperatures 60-70F. Incidentally, buy them in flower, then you know what you are going to get. Home Depot sells them and they have cimbidiums at the moment but they are a little harder to keep. The variety I have are some of the easiest to grow. Start off with these are they will reward you about every 6 months with flowers.

yAy - forcast today - 2-5 inches of slop. Snow, then fereezing rain, sleet, and rain.
Yippee!!! Snow finally. I think we are finishing with snow up here.

Hi all, I've never posted in a chatty forum before here at WC...this one seems manageable. This is the funniest thread because I too, am a convicted plant killer. I am even able to kill curly bamboo.

Hiya Clever, we are a nice bunch. You can say as much or as little as you want.

Were you incarcerated for that killing or did you get off relatively unscathed by the law? :D I am amazed at meeting a curly bamboo killer on the boards. I guess that makes you a serial killer :lol: I am a cereal killer, I eat it every morning for breakfast :eek:

Have fun at your workshop. Having told us that you are going you will have to show the evidence of having been and of course mail us all postcards. I will be Pm'ing you with the home addresses of absolutely everyone who has ever signed up for WC (just kidding).

idylbrush
02-13-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/36241-brushes.jpg

Got these in the post today. They are called scrubber brushes and I thought they might be excellent for scumbling brushes. Can't wait to try them. Could be some fun.

Clever
02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Well Carol, I did get off with a warning to never buy live plants again...so I got some silk ones...ick...I kept them as longas I was able but couldn't abide by them so off to dh's office they went. So we live in a home unadorned by nature!!! You're too funny, you cereal killer!

Of course I will show you my sorry attempt at painting this weekend but no go on the postcards...I don't even send mail to family!

Howard are those brushes sponge? or just really fluffy? they kind of look like pastel blenders a little. Those ibises are funny...can you sing "I---bis a parade"

Tazart
02-14-2007, 12:12 AM
I too, am a convicted plant killer. I am even able to kill curly bamboo.

LOL :lol: !! I'm so clueless I don't even know what curly bamboo is, but I killed a cactus once (or maybe it just gave up it's will to live ...) I escaped prosecution though :D !!

A friend of mine once bought me silk plants as a joke, because of my lack of plant skills which I promptly put outside my front door & I thought they looked lovely !!!!

Howard if those are fluffy brushes I wouldn't have the heart to scumble with them, I love new brushes soooo much :) !! Cool birds, I have had visits from wild (?) turkeys twice in the last 6months & one from a deer which blew me away as we live in a pretty suburban area, bit of a shock for an ex-Londoner !!!

Clever
02-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Taz-surely killing a cactus merits a life sentence! I didn't think that could be done! After my granpa died (eons ago) someone sent a silk hydrangea plant to the house. My aunt and granma thought it was so lovely they didn't want it to die! They kept watering the stupid thing until someone told them it was silk...When I grew up I realized that it wasn't iced tea they were drinking at 2 pm in those short little glasses with all the ice cubes.

Tazart
02-14-2007, 12:25 AM
LOL :lol: Magaret - you are too funny, I had a bad feeling I was going to get in trouble for my cactus confession :p !! God bless your Aunt & Granma & their silk flowers & 'iced teas' Cheers !!! :thumbsup: !!!!!

objectivistartist
02-14-2007, 12:33 AM
LOL - watering a silk plant to death - good one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eyepaint
02-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Moth orchids are amongst the easiest to grow. They are not meant to be planted in soil, it will kill them.
Uh-oh. Just repotted mine in a mixture of soil and bark. I knew I should have resisted. Let's see what happens in the next two weeks. :)

Cheers,
EP

idylbrush
02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
The brushes are bristle brushes but very firmly packed. The short bristle should make them good scumblers. I believe they are a synthetic and they are meant to scrub surfaces. Sounds almost perfect for my use.

Clever
02-14-2007, 08:46 AM
why don't you show us some samples with them? Hope your orchid survives your plant torture treatment...honestly --putting them in soil...whatever made you think a plant would survive in soil? ;)

Charlie's Mum
02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
When I grew up I realized that it wasn't iced tea they were drinking at 2 pm in those short little glasses with all the ice cubes. .....
Ah! another family like mine! .... my great aunts used to do this - from china cups no less!!! :lol:

mrs willow
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Ah! another family like mine! .... my great aunts used to do this - from china cups no less!!! :lol:
O.M.G!!! Mine did too.....!I really thought it was tea! I now wonder what exactly it was in those beautiful china teapots!!:D :D :D
Sandy

Charlie's Mum
02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
The amber fluid from Bonnie Scotland ... definitely :wink2:

Lady Carol
02-14-2007, 05:40 PM
When I grew up I realized that it wasn't iced tea they were drinking at 2 pm in those short little glasses with all the ice cubes.
How funny is that. Same here. The funny/sad thing was that my grandmother got Alzheimer's and would forget that she had had her sherry for the day. She would phone my mother up saying she felt really woozy. This was before we realised that really she was quite drunk.

Clever
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
The amber fluid from Bonnie Scotland ... definitely :wink2:

No, for my gran and aunt...it was their friend Jack...Jack Daniel's that is. the older they got the earlier happy hour came!!!

objectivistartist
02-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I now wonder what exactly it was in those beautiful china teapots!! Well - it COULD have been Long Island Tea.....:lol:

mrs willow
02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
:lol: Quite possible Robert...:lol:

I am hoping history doesn't repeat itself....my poor daughters and grandchildren!! What a problem I could be!:D :music: :music: (whistling) :D
Sandy

kywoman
02-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi, I'm a new participant and would like to get some advice on using acrylics and mediums. I worked in oil for a long time and am currently doing large canvases about 5'x7'. I'm not sure I'll stick with acrylic.:cat:

Lady Carol
02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
kywoman: check out our Information Kiosk. We have loads of tips and hints in there.

mrs willow
02-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Hi Kywoman:wave: Can you say what your reasons are for why you may not stick with acrylics?
I use a variety ...sometimes oil (usually water soluble)...watercolour, pastel, and acrylic as well as mixed media....sorry, forgot to add coloured pencil!I like acrylic (without any medium) because it dries fast and if you don't like something you can easily paint it out and have another go. The colours do "sink" a bit and become duller as they dry, but a coat of acrylic gloss usually retrieves the brilliance.
Maybe give it a bit more of a try...and do as Lady Carol says and check out the Information Kiosk.
Best wishes and good luck with your foray into acrylics.
Sandy

Clever
02-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Well - it COULD have been Long Island Tea.....:lol:

Wellll. we were in Augusta Georgia, pretty sure Jack was stayin or a visit.

idylbrush
02-15-2007, 12:30 PM
:D In Aiken SC, just a mere 18 miles from Augusta, Jack has a summer house, a mansion and 3 hotels.

mrs willow
02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Who is Jack???
Sandy

idylbrush
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Jack Daniels, an American Whiskey

objectivistartist
02-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah - Jack is an American almost as famous as Sam Adams for alcohol...... :lol::lol::lol:

Clever
02-15-2007, 08:44 PM
:D In Aiken SC, just a mere 18 miles from Augusta, Jack has a summer house, a mansion and 3 hotels.

I quit allowing Jack to come for a visit, long ago, when I was still a teen and her paid me a particulary nasty visit...he's ain't welcome 'round here no mo'!

Hey jack's a much tougher character than Sam--Sam is welcome here anytime--as is Glenn

Lady Carol
02-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Neither Jack or Sam or Glenn are particularly welcome in my home. My hubby does allow Sam to come inside but I don't entertain him at all. The next door neighbor makes a great margarita but I imbibed too much last year and I haven't been able to face another one yet. Maybe this summer I can drink it again. The Hardey boys are in the house as is Yalumba and I am enjoying them at the mo.

idylbrush
02-16-2007, 07:19 AM
That is to funny. They are all welcome to my home but they stay to long since I don't generally partake of their abilities. They can hang around for years and never even be thought of. To see my collection of these fellows would be amazing but they rarely ever call to me.

Jeff Rage
02-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I work at a Help Desk at the Social Security Administration. Yesterday, some TV show posted our Help Desk number as the number to call about the Peter Pan Peanut Butter recall. He got flooded with calls.

Clever
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
jeff that is hilarious

idylbrush
02-16-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/36241-orchid2.jpg

Lady Slipper Orchid

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/36241-orchids.jpg
Oncidium and Little Cat.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/36241-Orchid3.jpg
Dancing Lady Oncidiums

These aren't mine dernit. Photos I took today at the Selby Botanical Gardens

mrs willow
02-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Beautiful flowers Howard. Thanks for telling me about Jack...I had heard of him. Johnnie Walker visits here around New year. Vic Bitter is also an occasional visitor.
Sandy

Charlie's Mum
02-16-2007, 05:13 PM
My visitor is a Beefeater - sometimes calls before dinner ;) ... he's very colourful because he wears lemon ;) :lol: :lol:

This thread is a hoot!

Lovely orchids - I'm wanting the weather to warm up a bit so I an indulge at the Garden Centre ....... got a couple of beds needing planting up .. fingers are starting to itch! :lol:

Lady Carol
02-16-2007, 09:00 PM
All these clandestine discussions. You would think children were in the room :lol:

objectivistartist
02-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Ahhhh - that must be the "Old Curmudgeon"........:lol::lol::lol:

Tazart
02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking this should be called the Quick Dry Bar at this stage !!! Stella is a constant guest of my hubbys :D :lol: !!

Jeff - that is too funny, that poor guy though :lol: I'm betting his day still wasn't as bad as mine ...

up at 5:00am to go to Newark Airport for 8:30am flight home to London for a long w'end, sat on tarmac for 2 hours, technical problem, take off & fly for 1 hour then turn round due to smoke in cabin :eek: land at JFK, 2hrs getting luggage back, 3hrs coach from JFK to motel outside Newark airport, beg lift back to airport to find out what was going on & try to get on another flight, everything oversold, loitered until finally found someone who seemed to think flight was going to go from JFK today but no guarantee, so gave up, got a refund & got home at 9:00pm - what a monumental waste of a day :crying: !!!!!!

Clever
02-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh Taz, My husband has had the same experience this week with air travel. Tuesday up to NY (called away by boss at last minute), promises to be back in SC by Wednesday nite(Valentine's you know) Flight supposed to leave SC at 7:30, leaves at 8:55 gets to Charlotte where supposed to leave for NYC at 9:55, nope doesn't leave til after 11pm. Gets to NY in wee hours of morning to freezing wind and freezing rain. Has an abysmal and waste of time meeting..but ready to come home...oh no, flight cancelled can get next flight til on the 18th...hmmm it is currently the 14th anniversary on 15th...finally gets flight to SC today but to Myrtle Beach 2.5 hours away from home...should wife go pick up dh...no too much travel...should dh rent vehicle and drive home...mmmm, no amazingly dh's brother is in Myrtle Beach for convention will pick up from airport and drive home on Saturday...

His boss owes me big time. :(

Jack? Glenn, Sam? Anybody?

mrs willow
02-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Jeff , Taz and Margaret:You have all had some very frustrating experiences lately ....Jeff's was perhaps the funniest...the others would have been agonizing plus.
OK Taz...I'll have to ask... Who is Stella?
Objectivisasrist:I'll probably be sorry I asked...but who is "the old Curmudgeon?":o :o
Sandy

Tazart
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Magaret, that sucks big time, I hope you are re-united soon, we are not big on Valentines but an anniversary is a different matter, my DH (btw does DH mean Dear Husband or Dumb Husband or is it interchangeable ??!!) has been in London for the last week so I spent Valentines on my own but was looking forward to seeing him as we had a great weekend planned, was also dying to see my parents etc

As it turns out though I'm glad I cut my losses as DH came home early & I am planning a new trip so maybe there is a reason for these things, even if only to appreciate how much we miss our loved ones :confused: :heart: :D !!!

Clever
02-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Taz...the DH is dear Husband...sometimes "dopey" but I've never used dumb!

I just noticed your sig line...fantastic! I love Dawn French.

I'm finally going to bed...been having a debate over in the debate forum and it's exhausting esp. when you type a really good rebuttal and you accidentally erase it all. AND my workshop is tomorrow...Yayyyy

Tazart
02-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi Sandy :wave:
Stella is a European lager as in 'Stella Artois' which is a Belgian beer, personally I like a little vodka every now & then but that didn't work with the name game going on here, ....the old Curmudgeon .... has got me too ??? :confused: :confused:

Magaret - enjoy your workshop, look forward to hearing all about it :clap: !!!! Dawn French is the best on so many levels, love her to bits :heart: !!!!

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Clever, have a good time at your workshop. Is it in Summerville or closer to Charleston. I remember a nice little place on Ladson Road where they served the best Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich outside of the Philadelphia area. Called Philly's actually. My favorite little place for a lunch.

mrs willow
02-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks Taz:wave: ...hope we find out about the 'old curmudgeon' before this thread closes...
sandy

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-seeds.jpg

A seed pod that I found quite a delight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-cometflower.jpg

I have heard this one referred to as comet flower or firecracker flower. It is a bush about 7 feet by 7 feet (2M X 2M +/-).

The only "old curmudgeon" I remember is a skeptical old TV personality who made it a point to disagree on everything and anything.

objectivistartist
02-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Wow - ye guys respond so fast!! :lol:
Actually, not sure if it is still around - was[is?] name of a small brewry beer, one whose bottle got several years ago [and, sadly, gone, along with the rest of what was a nice collection of odd beer bottles - ye can't save the beers themselves, as they're unstable and won't last much beyond six months]...

Ahhhhh - just googled - they still make it - :thumbsup:
http://www.beerpal.com/Founders-Ales-Curmudgeon-Old-Ale-Beer/13613/

mrs willow
02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Howard: Your garden is full of delicious surprises...these pics. are lovely.
Robert:Thank you for "disclosing the secret" It is interesting to know that they still make ales like those. "Curmudgeon"....we can learn something new every day!
Sandy

Clever
02-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi guys I'm back from the workshop...it was great. There were about 10 folks in attendance and I worked on two pieces (which of course are not finished) that I am really happy with the progress so far. I'll upload a shot later. The technique was painting on a dark ground in this particular lady's style. I like learning others techniques and then applying my own take on it. It is amazing that not two folks work looked alike.

Here is a link to our instructor's site:

http://www.charlestonliving.com/waterfrontartgallery/dettacuttingzimmerman.htm

You can compare and critique mine later ;) I am exhausted...as a Monty Python bit once quothed, "My brain hurts" (add dramatic british accent) I think I'll have a little chat with Bud if I can haul my carcass out of this chair and out to the "cold guest room" in the garage.:)

Howard, I know exactly the place of which you are speaking and I believe it is still there. DH and I will have to try it for a date night. Speaking of which he is finally coming home sometime this afternoon. If you're ever up this way let me know; we'll all grab a philly together.

Taz, I watched a show that Dawn French did on PBS about Rubenesque women and photography of re-enactments so to speak of old Masters' paintings it was very interesting. If you look at my profile and look at my pic you'll see why I like her so much!

Charlie's Mum
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Glad you enjoyed the workshop - they're fun!
If you like Dawn French, have you seen any of her Vicar of Dibley series - they're a laugh from start to finish ..... well worth getting a video if you can :D

Clever
02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
No Maureen I haven't seen them...my mother is a Brit and she and my older brother and his wife love to watch their "English Shows" as they call them! Perhaps they have it. I'll ask.

Here is the thread with the stuff I started on at the workshop today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5418674#post5418674

Lady Carol
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Margaret you do look like Dawn French. Dawn just has darker hair.

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 09:46 PM
More stuff from the gardens.

These are not in my garden, dernit. I do have an orchid that is of the same line as the golden one but it is much smaller and much less prolific, I don't have the staff that will maintain my orchids just yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-goldoncidium.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-pitcherplant.jpg

Tazart
02-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Robert - thanks for the explanation, 9.3% alcohol - Blimey :eek: !!
Margaret - glad you enjoyed the workshop, the Dawn French show sounds really good, must look for a copy on DVD, I also highly recommend Vicar of Dibley & you need to be a bit more Rubenesque to really look like Dawn !!!

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 10:40 PM
A few more Selby Gardens Shots.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-Buddha.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/36241-Buddha2.jpg

Clever
02-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Carol, I didn't mean I "look" like her so much as I share her physique ;)

And Taz, you are too kind.

Howard those yellow ones are gorgeous!!! What is that second one called?

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I believe the second is a Vietnamese Pitcher Plant.

OK, I have ordered some lasertran. I resisted for a long time thinking that it may not be as archival as I had thought. I was at a meeting this week and it seems that one of the folks there has used it, liked it and had chatted with someone from the company and it is apparently archival. Unfortunately it is made in England and it is experiencing some manufacturing issues. They don't expect to see it arrive before mid March.. Dang just when I made up my mind to try it.

Clever
02-17-2007, 11:34 PM
What is lasertran?

Lady Carol
02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Ahhh!!! But you do resemble her.

Clever
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Carol, I'll take that as a compliment.

idylbrush
02-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Lasertran is a laser printed material for making image transfers. It is printed, cut, soaked and slides into place on the artwork. It can go on canvas, paper, pottery, etc. I want it for some of my photo images.