PDA

View Full Version : OLD MAN'S HEAD

DANNYMC
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/02-10-2007/84970_HEAD_OF_OLD_MAN.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: OLD MAN'S HEAD
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: A4
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Using three primary colours and N0.12 Round brush only (no drawing)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any help, comments appreciated

Badpainter
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
First off great work only using the three primary colors and one brush! One of my favorite ways to work. Working with restrictions like that I always feel allows myself to free up a little bit more and worry more about the product rather than if I'm using the right tube of paint or right brush.

Great work capturing the life of the character with water colors, I know how unforgiving they can be. I enjoy the relativeness of the color tones and the overall softness of it.
It gives it a nice dreamy quality. Great yellows in the hair!

My one concern would be the area under the chin. I believe its a hint of his chest but I can't be certain about this. It almost feels like an extenstion of his chin. It has a strange round volume to it and I just don't know what to make of it. Maybe make the difference between the value of the hair and the chest (I think chest) a higher contrast.

But overall its an accomplished study. Great work you are a great colorist! :D

DANNYMC
02-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Hi Badpainter,
(I'm sure you are not) Thank you for your valued comments. It is actually his hand under the beard (I presume supporting the chin) but not very clear in the orginal I worked from which was in oil, I also thought is was his neck at first. Perhaps it would have been better if I had left it out altogether. Thank you.
Danny

katsarecool
02-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Very cool!

SherylG
02-11-2007, 05:56 AM
I think you've done a good job of capturing him with so little color and loose style. Very well done.

That's an interesting exercise. I'll have to try it.

DANNYMC
02-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Very cool!
Hi Nancy,
Thank you.
Danny

DANNYMC
02-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I think you've done a good job of capturing him with so little color and loose style. Very well done.

That's an interesting exercise. I'll have to try it.
Hi Sheryl,
Thank you. Yes, do try. It is amazing how this forces you to learn your colours and tones.
Danny