PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog, New Tricks

Old Tex
02-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm new here, and this forum is one of the reasons I've joined. I've spent most of my life rendering with pen, pencil and Prismacolor pencil. Painting has always been a desire lurking in the shadows. Tried once about 15 yrs ago, but found myself still trying to draw - with a brush! Now, in my early 60's, I figure if I'm going to paint, I'd better get started. I'm working in gouache because it's convenient for the limited space I have for my artwork. No, I'm not retired, so my art is a spare time pursuit. (Maybe someday...) I finally put the pencils aside and picked up the brushes about three weeks ago. I've been learning to mix paint and adjusting from a sharp point to a flat brush. Quite an adjustment! I'm really looking foward to learning from all of you! Here's where I am so far...

Sonia
02-10-2007, 05:37 AM
Brilliant - looks like I could do with learning from you!! I just can't get out of the habit of treating gouache like watercolour - you've managed to make the most of its opacity.

Old Tex
02-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks Sonia!

I've been to your website. I especially like the ink resist work. Has a real old world look to it. I'm just getting started in this tricky medium. I'm just trying to learn to mix colors and match colors and find the right consistency. The Victorian Lady is a bit overworked because of that. So far, it's just plain trial and error. I'm just doing studies for now, trying to find a size and method that will give me the look I'm after.

meglyman
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Great work, especially for your first paintings! Overworking is such a danger with gouache - I'm still trying to find my balance between paint and water, and learning how to control the brushstrokes. My favorite is the first portrait. Wonderful sense of light and I like the skin tones!
Meg

Old Tex
02-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks Meg!

I think that one was just a happy accident! Now I'm trying to figure out what I did. I have a feeling the first few are going to be hit and miss until I get a handle on this. It sometimes feels like a waste of illustration board, but it's got to be done.
Ralph

meglyman
02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
I know what you mean, but nothing is a waste if you learn something from it! (at least that's what I keep telling myself) ;)