PDA

View Full Version : Wisteria Blues

velvet
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello and Good Morning:
Here is a painting I just finished and thought I would share it. My photo skills do not do it justice of course. Its snowing again today , so a little summer scene it in order. Your comments are always appreciated positive or negative. I can take it!! This is 14 x 16 on Fredricks stretched canvas. Two things I am not sure of. I tried to include some bounced light from the greenery around the top bluebird and I wanted to fill in around the picket fence so I included some weeds and wildflowers and tried to bring in a few of the birds breast colors throughout the painting as well. Thanks for looking.

UpStateMike
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Being in upstate New York, it's nice to get a hint about nicer weather, and your painting does that!

One thing I would comment upon is it's good to have the color harmony, but if you use the same color paint for the birds and background, they can read too close to being made from the same "stuff". Try perhaps to alter the color lighter, or duller by adding a little complimentary color or an umber, etc.

A good example of this would be the bird on the flower doesn't immediately appear to be separate, so think of the colors used and also shadows and highlights to seperate the two objects a little more.

Other than that, keep up the great work.

velvet
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input Mike. I see what you mean, and I appreciate the help. I am relatively new at this so I need all the help I can get. Have a great day.

idylbrush
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
charming and romantic. Sings of a warm spring.

idcrisis55
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I can hear the chirping now, trilling a Spring song. Lovely light in this, nice work on the wisteria and the birds.

Bertoni
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I especially like the feeling of light in this paintng!!! Fine work!:clap:

Paulafv
02-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I like the bounced green on the back of the top bird...could even bring it all the way down the tail to pull the bird even more away from the background. Very pretty painting with pleasing harmony of color.

Charlie's Mum
02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
It's a charming painting - lovely feeling.
Taking Mike's point, I downloaded and turned it into greyscale for you ..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/30494-velvet.jpg

Do you see how the tonal range is very narrow? (you call them values, we call them tones!!!) ...... to give the painting more impact you really need to push those tonal extremes more ... the darks darker and the lights lighter - thinking always about contrasting adjacent areas light against dark and vice versa.
Hope this helps :D

velvet
02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Thankyou so much!!

I really appreciate this. I never would have thought to put in in grayscale. This is really really helpful. Thanks again.

Charlie's Mum
02-10-2007, 08:35 AM
You're welcome! :D

bionicanaconda
02-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi, I think in this case the narrow tonal range gives it a dreamy and old world effect. It is reminiscent of the romantic Victorian images of postcards and paintings above a warm hearth. Thanks.

Selahs art
02-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Being in upstate New York, it's nice to get a hint about nicer weather, and your painting does that!

One thing I would comment upon is it's good to have the color harmony, but if you use the same color paint for the birds and background, they can read too close to being made from the same "stuff". Try perhaps to alter the color lighter, or duller by adding a little complimentary color or an umber, etc.

A good example of this would be the bird on the flower doesn't immediately appear to be separate, so think of the colors used and also shadows and highlights to seperate the two objects a little more.

Other than that, keep up the great work.

I agree.

Retha

Mark Newton
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Your comments are always appreciated positive or negative. I can take it!! ..Okay, are you ready.....:D .....Hang onto your hat. I think you've done a wonderful job....a lot of fine attention to detail that would simply drive me nuts...you have patience...that's something I need....can you post some over..:p

I think it looks great with the narrow tonal range as it all depends on what it is you are trying to achieve....an increased tonal range would of course create more thump and allow you to control where the eye will be going. Great control and nice composition!!

Another look....My only real nit.....is the bird at the LHS edge should go....it doesnt help, too close to the edge and there is enough going on with the other two.

bowerbird
02-10-2007, 11:40 PM
:lol: wow Mark you read my mind:lol: :lol: what he said

velvet
02-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I love the input. Thanks everyone.
Mark I will get rid of the bird. Your right!! I am a detail painter, probably because I started out doing decorative painting. Truly, when I started out I really wanted this bird to blend, because I thought that was the nature of the beast so to speak. On the other hand I didn't want it to get lost in the painting either. So I guess I will tweak things a little either way anad repost the results. I am mostly self taught-- so I am never certain if what I do is right I just paint til it pleases me. But I will definetly try the suggestions just to see the difference. Thanks all.

Lady Carol
02-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I think you will find most of us are self taught too. Well actually WC has been our school with others eyes pointing out the issues where a teacher would have done. Wonderful painting. I don't mind the narrow tonal range but if you choose to fiddle then definitely remove the bird on the left and pop out a few more darks.

velvet
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
That is what I intend to do-- This is a great site because everyone is understanding. I guess were sort of all in the same boat. But an exchange of ideas is a wonderful thing. So!! Australia for sure has two great painters , you and Mark that I know of. Have a good one. Thanks

Lady Carol
02-11-2007, 01:49 PM
:o I am sure there are more than two great painters. Thanks you for the compliment.

Mark Newton
02-11-2007, 11:56 PM
:o I am sure there are more than two great painters. Thanks you for the compliment.

I reckon there is too,,,,I know a bloke down the road that.....:p

heheh...thanks for the mighty fine compliment.

Mark Newton
02-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I am mostly self taught-- so I am never certain if what I do is right I just paint til it pleases me.

Gee.....that sort of mirrors myself...exactly in fact...:cool:

Nitsa
02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Velvet this is a beautiful piece of work, I love the picket fence (I have a thing about them).
Agree with tonal values and look fwd to the chnges you plan to make. :thumbsup:

glo_anne
02-12-2007, 10:41 PM
"Wisteria Blues"... what a great title! And a lovely painting
:clap: ~ Glo

Elaine B
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Maureen has a good suggestion about putting the image in grayscale - my painting buddy Deb always tells me that. It really helps you see the values and let you know what needs to be more intense.

Re the bird in the llh portion - just maybe put a darker glaze over that portion of the painting. I was taught to have odd numbers of objects (3 birds). I really don't think the third bird draws the eye away from the focal point. As long as the bird image is going off the canvas - i.e. tail is out of view, as you have done. Perhaps put more light on the breast of the right-hand "fence bird".

I love the feeling of the painting.