PDA

View Full Version : In the style of "Doc" Dreamz-Why I shouldn't!

Andun
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :wave: Hi Doc and all other acrylic lovers.
Doc has been posting some very interesting WIPs lately and I was interested in trying to do things in his free and easy style.I shouldn't have!:lol: Let's call this one "Blue"!:rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0146.JPG

dreamz
02-09-2007, 03:41 AM
it's got good bones Tony, don't stop there! Im flattered you would try to emulate my "style" I didn't even realize I had ONE:lol:

Nitsa
02-09-2007, 06:13 AM
I agree, I really like the mountain shapes and plains on the viewers left...Keep going!

idcrisis55
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
I agree too Anthony. You have a good start here. Just check the perspective on the houses (which I liked, especially the one on the viewer's right.) My other suggestion would be to make the trees off-centered and perhaps have one of the house overlap? Overlapping gives depth :)

Andun
02-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh you've got a style Doc.It is free and easy.Kind of a southern thing I suppose!:lol: I think you're right about the "bones".It has been talking to me.I can see some interesting stuff hiding there.Ok:thumbsup: I'll give it another go!!!

Andun
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
:wave: Hi Nitsa,
You can see my mountains? I thought they were not developed yet.I can see a far range near the top as well as the near ones.I like that plain on the right too.Needs a small tree I think.Maybe some smoke from the far cabin.:)

Andun
02-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Ann:wave: How do I move the trees:confused: I was thinking they look like the focal point with the moon shining thru them. Oh wel..why not.You know what you're talking about much more than me.I'll try.:D This might just turn out ok.I am thinking of a full full high over the mountain shedding a bright light thru the trees and over the snow below.Cool huh:cool:

Ian Bruce
02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for reminding me that simplicity works! I frequently forget. Good feeling of light and atmosphere.

Andun
02-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi Ian,
I have to paint my friends schooner soon and I sure wish I had your ability with ships..both the real and painted versions.
I am layering shades of blue now under a deeper blue.Makes for nice shadows.

Andun
02-10-2007, 01:25 AM
:lol: Hoooweeee Is this one going through changes! I keep adding paint :) Here are a few of the on going work.I think it is time for trees now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0147.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0148.JPG Come on folks!!! Gimme some ideas please:wave:

Tazart
02-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Wow Tony - These are so cool, is there any style/subject you can't do - honestly loving experiencing your experiments, I'm far too embarrased to post mine :o !!!

Andun
02-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Hey Tazart:wave: Good to hear from you! I am having such a good time playing with this piece:lol: Doc sure had it right.:thumbsup: I've frame in the basic tress now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0149.JPG

Andun
02-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Oh look!!!:lol: Snowy leaves!!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0150.JPG

Tazart
02-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Tony - you've lost me, is this same piece that has been adapted or are these the result of you trying out multiple verions of the same scene ... ?? Either way they're all looking pretty good (are you using canvas paper pad or regular paper ?? Can't help being nosey :wave: )

Andun
02-10-2007, 04:51 AM
Hey Taz!
It is all the same piece.I am just adding things,changing perspectives and generally learning to see. It is canvas paper.Nice stuff and easy to put away which is a plus for me just now as space is at a premium.

dreamz
02-10-2007, 05:05 AM
LOL, Tony Im glad your having fun, I like where you've allowed this to go

Andun
02-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks Doc for the idea! Any suggestions?

dreamz
02-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Call it finished and start another one..........

I actually liked it better b4 the snow leaves... one of the most difficult things to train yourself for is when to stop (my discard pile will attest to that) I liked watching this evolve and how your vision changed as it progressed.

There is nothing wrong with your usual studied style, many of the finest artists around here do the same with stunningly realistic results. I paint fast and loose because I find it relaxing, if a good piece is the result so be it, if its a mess... well... thats what gesso's for and if you enjoyed it let me make a suggestion that follows my reply in "dawn fisherman"

Do something you've already done, perhaps the boat with the iceburg or the fishing boats at the wharf, something you've drawn a couple times and painted at least once.. ATTACK it! let the paint tell you where the clouds are (work wet on wet, with either glazing medium or water on the canvas before dabbing on paint and blend) don't go for detail, don't worry if the gunwale is perfect, it an be trued up later (I think Im more impressionist than realist but I dislike labels, I don't fit into the little niches that others need to define something/someone)

Ok... Im rambling but in parting... have FUN with it, if it's not fun... WHY BOTHER?

C_Line
02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Wonderful sense of light here. I liked the "skeleton" black trees. I like your shadows very much.

bionicanaconda
02-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I really appreciate the colours that you have chosen to work with.

Selahs art
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I also liked the skeleton trees version better.
good work.

Retha

Andun
02-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Ok Doc.You are the boss on this one.It is finished! Actually I liked the leafless version better too but when I sponged on the leaves with Titanium white it was too late. Good idea about the other paintings.I like it.Thanks Doc.
Hi Celeste.I can always count on seeing you visit my attempts.Too bad I can't take off those leaves.How do you like the window light shining on the snow?
Hi Stephan,I have never tried anything so limiting before and I do like the look the earth recieves from a full moon which we had only last week.Guess where the inspiration came from.Thank you from your kind words.
Yes Retha..those darned leaves cluttered up the piece and covered too many things such as the chimney and smoke.Oh well....onwards and upwards eh! Cheers
Tony

Andun
02-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I could leave it alone.I missed the limbs on those trees but I couldn't get rid of the leaves so I made a compromise.Some parts of the limbs are visible through the leaves.:lol: Now it IS finished!:thumbsup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0151.JPG

dreamz
02-11-2007, 02:58 AM
ok... you COULD stop there........ OR...... take an old toothbrush and dip in some thin white/pale,pale blue, then run your nail over the bristles (do this outside as it makes a mess and takes some practice to control) and you'll have a snow storm, alternativly you can tap the brush against an extended finger of your other hand

Mark Newton
02-11-2007, 03:19 AM
It's finished...and it's cool (no pun intended...:D ) Nice evolution.

Andun
02-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Nope Doc...I've decided.This is the end.I just wanted the limbs back.Now I am re-touching some older painting with some new techniques I've learned here at WC. They all look so much better.By the way Doc,I'm gonna save thaqt snow idea of yours for a later piece.Thanks!

Andun
02-11-2007, 03:21 AM
Thanks Mark! That's cool Hehehehe..That's punny!