PDA

View Full Version : if you work from photos or paper references

idylbrush
02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
This is such a wonderful tool. I never think of it since I have had it for so long. Amazing how they become so very everyday.

It is a clamp with a swinging arm and some bull dog clips to hold photos. I made it almost 25 years ago. So, don't get any ideas other than to make one for yourself.

It is a swing arm (it is hinged) and it is attached to a thumb clamp and attached to the edge of my drawing board to hold photos or other references.

Just thought I would share it you all, now don't tell anybody else now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/36241-attachment.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/36241-attachment2.jpg

Lady Carol
02-08-2007, 06:16 PM
That is a cool set up.

Don't worry, I won't breathe a word :D

idcrisis55
02-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Cool idea! Mums the word. :D

rmc
02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Hey - cool idea (I'm going to keep it a secret that we have some prewarning re your selfportrait!)

Margaret 59
02-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Good idea, Howard. :thumbsup:

mrs willow
02-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Very neat idea Howard! You can trust me to keep your secret.....:evil:

idylbrush
02-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey - cool idea (I'm going to keep it a secret that we have some prewarning re your selfportrait!)

:evil: :evil: :evil: Fooled another one. :lol:

Tazart
02-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc

hmmm are you going to be teasing us for the next 5 weeks with possible sightings of your SP :rolleyes: :mad: ??!!! Not sure I can stand the suspense :lol: !!!!

PS your Arm-Hinge thingy is MUCH better than my masking tape the photo to the easel method :clap: !!!

rmc
02-08-2007, 11:03 PM
You've caught me and my interest - so now my good intentions to concentrate on work are foiled - I'm off to sign up for the self portrait thread

Lulu
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
hmmmm, don't trust any of the above to keep your secret Howard..............But you can trust me;):p

bowerbird
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Great idea thanks!! GOING TO SEE IF I CAN ATACH SOMETHING SIMILAR TO MY EASEL opps caps lock

bigspender
02-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Great Idea my hubby is going to have a new job now that he is retired. Making one of those thinggies.

I can not tell a lie though I will be telling all the other painters here in Quesnel about this thinggie for holding pictures or sketches on an easel

sorry your decret is really going to be out now

Peg

AtrediesNT
02-09-2007, 04:54 AM
That is a good Idea.I have something similar....although not used for my Ref Photos.

I have the same type of Bulldog clip, but I bought a "soap holder" for $2 from a cheapy shop.
You know the holders that have plastic suction cups to attach to a mirror or smooth surface?
The Suctioon cups come out and they fit neatly into the Handle part of the Bulldog clip.
You can suction it on the wall and have your pic hanging down.

Nitsa
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Very nifty Howard!
I have a large thin board that I rest on my easel and then rest my surface against that. Because it's larger than my surfaces, there is always a little room on the board to tape a reference to alongside my painting. ;)

mseymour
02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Clever, Howard! I use a 2'x4' piece of Masonite on its long side in back of the support and tape the photo to that.

pakc
02-09-2007, 05:08 PM
sweet....
but Howard do you know how hard it is for a woman to keep a secret?...
if you had just said look how clever..it would not have been an issue...HEHE....but to say it is a secret that is a whole nother animal....

gnu
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
MOI? tell a soul? well now, let me see...there's Ruth and Elaine and Lulu,(they will prob see it here anyway) and Caroline's Mum and Margaret and Natalie and Warick, and Amy and......give me time there's more! Seriously thanks for the seriously good tips...... :D

Charlie's Mum
02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Oooooh - another good idea to ask to have made (the jobs are piling up for a certain person!!!)
This is far superior to my bits of re-used masking tape! :lol:
Thanks H. :thumbsup: