PDA

View Full Version : Daves Place WIP:

tishtosh
02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,

After much deliberation i've decided its time to move on. Not from W.C, but from the comfort of my family home.

I started painting in the relative tranquility of our attic, but then my daughters fiance's weekend sleepovers in my attic became permanent sleepovers. So, i was cuckooed out of my studio by "the pigeon in the attic". ( 18 months later and he's still up there!)
Then i built a small lean-to on the side of our home about 7' by 7'. Great place to paint, until my wife decided the lean-to would make an excellent laundry room. Alas, the tumble dryer and freezer moved in and i was evicted for the 2nd time within a year. So, i set up residence in the conservatory. I've been there ever since but the constant nagging from the family that the "sun room" looks more like a "slum room" left me with little choice.
This Spring i intend to build a studio (shed) in the garden. Its time to sacrifice the castor oil plants, hostas and paeony roses in favour of my very own sanctuary. "Daves Place" will be 18 ft long and 8.5 foot wide with south/east facing windows and will be situated next to my garden pond, perhaps with a decking area outside for those warm summer days.
There'll be no pigeons, no laundry and no family! Only me, my paints and the odd glass of vino. Bliss!

Upon mentioning my elaborate plans to a work colleague, prices were discussed. Catalogue prices for decent ready built garden buildings of this size started at 3000 up to 10000+!!!
I commented that if i bought my own supplies i think i could build a very decent studio for under 400. My colleague, who disagreed,was very keen to issue that very challenge.
So, with a budget of 400 i've decided to give it a go.

The timber for the structural work has cost 60.40. The screws and bolts to put it together have been begged ,stealed and borrowed.
My next task is to build the walls. I have a couple of irons in the fire with regards to getting some decent timber for the walls at good prices. I'll post the next photo when the walls are sorted. It could be a while if this cold weather holds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/66760-Project1234.jpg
"Daves Place"

Dave :wave: :wave: :wave:

objectivistartist
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Must be nice to be able to do that without running amoke with permits, etc.....:eek:

idcrisis55
02-08-2007, 05:24 PM
That is quite a project but one that will be all yours from the ground up, which is cool. Good luck with the budget challenge. :D

dreamz
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I love a challange! Check around your area for any building sites, most contractors are only to happy to allow you to scavange cut off and etc as it saves them in trash costs and carpenters can be VERY wasteful. So what if you have to piece together a roof or walls, it's all going to be covered anyway.. best of luck

Tazart
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Good for you Dave :clap: - my heart went out to you the other day when reading your eviction stories on Tony's 'What does your studio space look like' thread (did have a little giggle as well though :D !!!) Are you OK on planning permission as it is a tad bigger than your average garden shed or are your neighbours cool & not going to complain ?? In some areas of the US you need permission to extend your patio in your own garden, ie your own land - it's mind blowing !!!
Good luck with the project, looks like you're off to a cracking start, hope the weather is kind to you - looking forward to this WIP :thumbsup:

Margaret 59
02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Best of luck, Dave. Are you doing it all on your own?

Nitsa
02-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Oooh Dave...Your very own gaff...How exciting is that???
You're gonna love it!

tishtosh
02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
The main rules in the UK regarding planning permission with regards to "sheds" are that normally no planning permission is required as "sheds" are classed as non-permanent structures. The shed must not be more than 4 metres high if the roof is peaked, 3 metres high if the roof is flat and sloping. The structure must not cover more than 50% of the garden. Different districts have extra criteria, but these are the main points.
Nipping out of work this afternoon for an hour or so to view some timber for sale. Hope the weekend weather is dry.
See you guys later.
Dave.

bionicanaconda
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi Dave, Judging from this post and your profile information, I get the impression that you live with selfish people. That's a pity.
Good luck with your build and get a good lock.

Paulafv
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Well. Let's hope the pigeon and your daughter don't get married and decide your studio would make a convenient flat (of course, then you could get back the attic). Can you put up tin roofs in GB as we have in some rural areas? Just thought it might be less expensive to keep you under budget and the sound of rain on a tin roof is like magic to accompany your painting. Of course, still need a solid wood support for the tin roof or heavy ply wood. Will be watching your progress with interest. Hope you come in under budget too.

tishtosh
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Tin roofs?.....i aint seen tin roofs in GB since i was a kid. I remember a couple of rusting tin Anderson shelters (bomb shelters) in neighbours gardens where i used to play as a little 'un. Tin roofs used to be widely used on farm buildings. Then again, i aint climbed on barn roofs since i was a kid so i suppose they may still be widely used unbeknown to me. Like you said,rain on tin roofs sounds great, and here in North East England we get more than our fair share of rain
I know tin roofs ain't readily available in GB DIY stores.

Thanks for your input......OSB3 board is looking the most likely for the back and side walls, felted osb3 on the roof and dressed ply for the front. But all this could easily change depending on what i can salvage locally...lol
Either way i gotta decide soon...i've got next friday,sat and sun off work so i can get stuck in!

Thanks again for your suggestions!
David

tishtosh
02-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Oooooppps!!!! Margaret 59 sorry for being so rude and not replying sooner........., yes i am doing it all on my own, probably best as i get kinda grumpy when i encounter problems......lol.

David

Tazart
02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow doing it on your own, sounds like hard work (you should rope that future son-in-law in to do the dirty work :lol: !!!)

Good luck, can't wait to see the progress :)

tishtosh
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi guys,
still acquiring timber for "Daves Place". Got a half a dozen decent wooden spars from haulage drivers who deliver to my workplace......one hot coffee in exchange for one piece of timber......seems like a good deal to me.

This morning i got a call from a pal, who got talking to a man with a dog, who had a neighbour who had some surplus wood in his shed. Following a phone call, i slipped out of work for a while, (its handy being the manager......lol) and called around this fellas house. This guy had a load of brand new, 1 inch thick, tongue and groove plank wood flooring, fully dressed. Not enough for the full floor but certainly enough to cover over two thirds of the floor in "Daves Place". The guy helped me load it up, and refused to accept anything for it. He said i was doing HIM the favour by getting it out of his shed. Happy Days! :D :D :D .......I also purchased a bit more reclaimed timber from a reclamation yard for 8.00 and some brackets for 6.99....total so far............75.49!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

kind regards
David

Charlie's Mum
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Dave, I'm jealous already ...... it will be so good when finished, I bet the family likes it enough to comandeer it!!!!!

Hope the weather improves by the w/end - (forecast is bad for tomorrow).

I've set the telescope up :wink2: :lol: :lol:

dreamz
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Just a thought.. if you can locate shipping pallettes, a number of these laid end to end and secured together with braces would make a good subbase for a floor.. well it's something Im contemplating because your thread has gotten me thinking again of building my own studio and like you.. on the cheap and recycled:wave:

tishtosh
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
lol @ Maureen.......aint nobody, but nobody commandeering this place! And as for the telescope...ever get that feeling that you're being watched?...lol

Dreamz....great idea, but i've already fitted 4" by 2" joists along the full length at 600mm gaps to support the flooring. I am contemplating what to use to preserve the base supports to prevent any rotting over time. The base is raised off the damp floor but will still require some treatment. I have plenty water based fence preservative but this needs re coating evey year or two which will be impossible once the "shed" is erect. Creosote has been outlawed in the UK for a couple of years due to its cancer causing properties, but i need a cheap oil/tar based product for the base supports. A pal has suggested a liberal coating of engine oil but i aint sure.....I've got a garden which gets full of frogs and wild birds in the Spring and i don't wanna endanger them. Any ideas?

Kind regards
David

dreamz
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Id go with the waterproofing material, when used on a deck or other suface thats exposed it DOES need to be reapplied everyother year or so but if its unexposed... it should last a good time longer

tishtosh
02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
H guys,

Dreamz, i took your advice and used the waterbased preservative.Your probably right about the base joists being sheltered. Cheers!

FRIDAY

I had to buy plwood today (friday)....cost....124.40.......then some brackets and screws......20.01.......total so far 219.90!

I took today off work so i could crack on. Got a bit done until rain stopped play.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/66760-P2160100.JPG

SATURDAY

Had to spend a further 23.06 today (Saturday) on more brackets, and bitumen paint.
Total cost so far 242.96.

My back is aching, my arms are bruised, my hands are full of splinters and stained with black bitumen paint and my good jeans are ruined.....lol.
Its so hard trying to support 8ft by 4ft sheets of plywood in place whilst you fix them down. You need 3 hands to hold the sheet, one hand to hold the screw and one hand to hold the drill....oh yeah, and one hand to keep wiping the stinging sweat from your eyes. Wish i'd decided against being a martyr and working alone.....lol. Never mind, most of the heavy work is done now.

Gonna have a hot bath and go for a few drinks down the sea-front with a pal tonight. I deserve it!

SEE YOU ALL LATER!
Dave

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/66760-use.jpg

objectivistartist
02-17-2007, 01:42 PM
There's an excellent book called - Working Alone, about how to build just by yerself... might help.....
http://www.amazon.com/Working-Alone-Tips-Techniques-Building/dp/1561585459/sr=1-1/qid=1171734071/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1157340-5183330?ie=UTF8&s=books

Tazart
02-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Oooh this is exciting, you certainly got a lot done & def deserved the drinks after - loving watching this :clap: !!!

Nitsa
02-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Excellent progress...Well done!
Are the medicinal drinks coming off the budget? :evil:

:lol:

tishtosh
02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
hi guys,

Robert.....could have done with that book earlier mate!
Taz...... thanks for your kind comments! Glad to have you onboard.:thumbsup:
Nitsa.......drinks off the budget???????.. The budget aint that big....but my hangover was this morning........:lol:

Sunday

ok guys, after walking the dog this morning to sort out a stinking headache (can't think what caused it) :evil: i got stuck into the work again.

Heres some piccies of how its coming along.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/66760-P2180097.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/66760-P2180098.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/66760-P2180102.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/66760-P2180103.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2007/66760-P2180100.JPG

tishtosh
02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi guys!
just a quick update to let you know how i'm getting on.
Been felting the roof this weekend. Long boring job which used up best part of Saturday. Still got a little bit to do but i ran out of felt.
On Sunday i did a bit more boarding out but progress was much slower than last weekend.
Felt was 42.00 and wooden lats were 5.48

Total so far is 290.44

Anyway, heres how its coming along........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2007/66760-P2250137.JPG

ignore the barbecue in the foreground :)

Its been a busy week in the garden. A pair of blackbirds are in and out the ivy preparing to nest build(they come back every year though they are very early this year) and the mass of frogs in the pond all have one thing in mind this week...its an absolute free for all as they jossle for a mate..... ;)

see you guys later

David

objectivistartist
02-25-2007, 08:10 PM
wow - if ye could put it on wheels, ye'd have a rolling studio......:lol:

Lady Carol
02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
You are a quick worker. I am impressed by the progress.
You even have a nice fern out the front of the doorway for inspiration.

tishtosh
02-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Robert,....A travelling studio,great idea.... perhaps pulled along by an old horse....must have Romany blood in the family somewhere...lol

Carol.....not quick enough....i cannot get any painting done at all with all this extra work! The fern is a great hardy fern (useful for the North East of England). Wish the work was done so i could re-sort out the garden, my second passion.

kind regards
david

tishtosh
03-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi guys!

just a quick update to let you see how i'm getting on.

The outside is about finished, the floors all down and next friday i will be building the window frames.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/66760-Project1.jpg

Catch up with you guys later!

David :wave: :wave: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2007, 07:07 PM
It's really taking shape Dave - top marks for you I think :D