PDA

View Full Version : Storing Pastel work

Anna Marie
04-16-2002, 07:06 PM
:confused: Well the problem I have is this -

I usually use canson paper for my pastels but find that there appears to be no easy way of storing any project work safelly unless you mat it and frame it.

How do you safely store pieces of work and exercises without damaging them how do you protect the surface ?

Secondly I usually work on the paper with it taped to a backboard and then remove t he paper from the board to frame it and tape it to the mount. I recentlly attended a class where I was told you should fix your paper on a backing board and tape this to your working board then remove backing board and place straight in the frame with mounts on top.

I would be interested on feedback on both points.

P.S sorry for any double spacing I am teaching myself to touch type!

DFGray
04-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi Anna Marie
I am a cheapskate so find old travel and video posters and cut them to fit and stack my pastels , I stack em with the print side of the posters against the pastel and no pastel rubs off
regards
Dan

LarrySeiler
04-16-2002, 11:08 PM
I sorta faced this same thing today Anna, as I took my recent pastel Canson paper off the support.

I took a large tagboard sheet, folded it in half and made sorta a folder. Then I took think Kraft white roll paper, and set a sheet lightly on top, then set 'em inside the tagboard folder, and carefully...neatly tucked it in a long drawer. I will try not to disturb it until it is time to frame.

Larry

MarshaSavage
04-17-2002, 08:42 AM
Anna Marie,

I use Canson and various other papers. I usually buy foam core and cut it into various size pieces for backing the painting while I work on it. I usually staple the paper to the foam core and leave the painting it for storage (if I tape it, I use drafting tape). You can stack as many as you wish and if you don't disturb the stack, you should not have but the slightest trace to come off the painting onto the back of the next piece of foam core.

For a better solution, you can either buy pads of tracing paper (which comes in many different standard sizes) or buy a roll of glassine paper (this is best). I buy the glassine in a role that is 24" by 10' or 20' - whichever I can get (and there is larger width also). There is only a trace amount that transfers to the glassine if left for long periods of time. But at no time, have I found it to be a problem for the painting itself.

I have a large plastic shelf unit from Home Depot where I place the stacks (up high on the unit) that are either rejects, waiting for further inspiration, etc. If you don't paint very large, you can even stand them on their edge (if attached to backing of some kind).

Even if you don't leave the paper on the foam core, just fold the glassine or tracing paper around the sides and use drafting tape to secure it. The stacks would not be as high since you won't have the foam core - but also the paper will be more flexible and more easily damaged.

Good luck!

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

Anna Marie
04-17-2002, 06:28 PM
Dan you are not a cheapskate you are recycling - hoorah!
Thanks Larry and Marsha. I have to now use the phrase Duhhh!
I may be being stupid but what is Foam Core and what is glassine paper ??

MarshaSavage
04-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Anna Marie --

sorry about not explaining what those two things are. Foam core is the backing you see on most paintings on paper. It is usually white and can be bought in many different thickness (1/4", 3/8" etc.) and sizes (24x32, 32x40, etc.). It also comes rag / acid free (some call it museum mount). You can order, or buy from a store, larger sizes and cut it with a utility knife to sizes you want. If you have some catalogs, look in them in the sections with the mat boards / framing.

The glassine paper is kind of like tracing or wax paper - but much better. I don't know the actual make-up of it. But it is a wonderful cover for pastel paintings as the pastel doesn't really stick to it. Some Canson pads come with it already interleaved between the pages.

Good luck!

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

MKathleen
04-18-2002, 02:37 PM
HI Anna Marie:
Yep this is a good one and I wish I had the ultimate answer to UN-framed pastel painting storage. What I do is use tracing paper in front of the pastel then store it between core board and hope the pastel remains undisturbed.
I use one of those large carrying cases with a handle you can make one or buy one already made up. You see them in the catalogs used for portfolio's they work pretty good.
Best,
Kathy:)

Anna Marie
04-18-2002, 04:53 PM
Excellent advice thanks boys and girls I shall start hunting it out

Mo.
04-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi Anna Marie,

I've just come across this thread, I'm a pastellist too, I cover my work with greaseproof paper/baking paper which you can buy in rolls from any supermarket store, I find it ideal for protecting pastel work, I then place my work into a large portfolio and lay it flat. I have several paintings stored on top of each other this way with no signs of deteriation or pastel smudge, I do lightly fix the finished work too, whatever you do don't use polythene to protect your work, I tried this once, putting my work in large interleaved polythene folders, mistake!! :(, the pastel jumps onto polythene very badly, I had to take them out the next day and retouch the paintings.

Hope you find this helpful

Mo.:)