PDA

View Full Version : Liquitex String Gel

Café LoLa
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm interesting in working with string gel as I just bought a jar of Liquitex String Gel. My question is what is the proportion of the acrylic colour to colourize the string gel? Just a little bit, or is it depending on which color and opacity? I tried the Liquitex website but it didn't seem to give much information about it.

idylbrush
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I've used it and it just takes a tiny bit of color to color the string medium. Try a 20% color and 80% gel. Also mix more than what you can use. It can be a bit goofy. I use a small plastic disposable 2 ounce container that I get in bulk.
I mix it with a popsicle stick or palette knife. Lifting a gob of it over the container, let the first globby part fall back into the container and then move the applicator over the canvas and move it the way you want it. It takes a bit of getting accustomed to to get it to work right.

Café LoLa
02-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Thank you Howard. It seem to help to be as high as possible from the canvas to get thin strings. I will have to experiment some more this weekend. Thanks!

Nitsa
02-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Laurie & Howard I've never heard of this product...Would it be possible for you both to show us some examples of it?

idylbrush
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/36241-MG9-c.jpg

All the squiggles are done with string gel on this piece.

Café LoLa
02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Nitsa, Howard's works have inspired me to go out and buy some string gel. My project this week is to basically try some image transfers and string gels like what you've done. Only that I suspect I'll only focus on the techniques and come out like a grade school experimentation, not the composition and form that you've put thought into your work.

Nitsa
02-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Thankyou Howard, that's fantastic! The smaller squiggles look like chinese, were they collage or the string gel?

Laurie good luck with your experiments!

Phantelope
02-08-2007, 09:41 PM
this looks like fun! I'll have to get me some, just wish the art stores here where a bit more on top of new items (let alone restocking regular supply). Oh well, might as well wait till it's warmer outside, this looks like it can get quite messy, might best be used outdoors :)

How long does it take to dry?

idylbrush
02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
The chinese lettering is a transfer from a book I received recently. It is a book of Chinese music that is about 125 years old and was hand scribed by a buddist monk (thought to be young). There were mistakes that were cut out or corrected.

It was handmade and according to my Chinese friend it had a note in Japanese in the back cover pocket. He told me that the Chinese at this time wrote all the music in this long hand. I thought it was quite fascinating and the energy when I have it in my hand is amazing. I am, needless to say, fascinated and enthralled with it. It will surely show up again a few more times.

eyepaint
03-09-2007, 02:01 AM
I just bought string gel today and was so keen to try it out. I did a wee experiment first and then searched this forum to see what has been said about it. I mixed approx 50/50 and I sure got the big blob that Howard mentioned and then the strings come out. I tried mixing a small part also with matte acrylic medium and it was sort of stringy but more blobby.

Tomorrow I'll try Howard's suggestion - mix in container 20/80 and let the first blob fall back into the container first :)

Cheers,