PDA

View Full Version : haven't had one in a while...a challenge

idylbrush
02-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Since we can play now and again, it is time to play a whole bunch.

Let's have a challenge.

What kind you say. How about a self portrait. It can be realistic, funky, funny, cartoony, serious, silly or even ugly.

How about we give a date of March 15th to do a reveal. All at one time folks just to make it fun and exciting.

What do you think. How about it?:D

Nitsa
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Howard have you been reading my mind again?...I swear I have had a self portrait on my mind for a few weeks now.
I'm in! :D

Maureen....Carol.....Can we have some glue on this thread?...Pretty please??? :angel:

idylbrush
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, good, I may even participate in this one myself.

mrs willow
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Sounds like fun...I'll see what I can do!
Sandy

gnu
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
ditto what Anita said... I will give it a shot...Hope I can do something by then...

metalhead
02-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok... I'm in. (Will live to rue the day...)

Reveal at on March 15... what time? 6:00pm CST (GMT - 6, I think) works nicely for me. I guess being a global site (on the World Wide intarWeb and all) means there is no single time which is convenient for everyone. (I'm making things too complicated again aren't I? it's my computer science/legal brain imploding, like it does sometimes.)

Lulu
02-05-2007, 11:13 PM
ooooo scary!!! But I'll give it a go too!

eyepaint
02-06-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm in. I did my first self portrait in Nov 06, the second in Dec 06, so in the spirit of one SP a month it looks like I'm overdue for the January version :)

Cheers,
EP

Selahs art
02-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Scary,
I was thinking to try and do a different selfportrait. I am in.

Retha

Amira
02-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Hmmm.... challange indeed! But I'm in as well - and March 15th sounds good to me.

Amira

Jackie339
02-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I've had this on my mind forever. It's scary, but count me in . I just can't walk away from a challenge! Will size be our choice?

idylbrush
02-06-2007, 07:41 AM
size and substrate are your choice but it must be done in acrylics, its an acrylic forum so it follows suit.

Charlie's Mum
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
:eek: .... in at the deep end then! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee...............

Jeff Rage
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I've never painted a portrait before - this could be interesting.

idcrisis55
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm in too. What a scary but fun challenge this will be. Thanks Howard, for thinking of it!

dreamz
02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
well ... at least I don't have to much flesh tone to worry about:lol: I think I even have a background panel in the discard pile.. we'll see what happens

stevenbg
02-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Oops.
Sorry, I posted mine too soon.
Didn't see the March 15th posting date.

pakc
02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
well maybe it will get me back to painting.....had a long enough break and need to get busy.
So yes I am in...for the challenge.

First is a self portrait that I did about 2 years ago ...soft and gentle.
The second I did a year ago....
Thinking the one I do for this challenge will be more sober.

titled
Morning Memories. and Just Sitting
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/56161-morning_memorieswc-1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/56161-just_sittingwc..JPG

yes that is suppose to be me.

Looking forward to this challenge and maybe I will turn it into another series.
Pam

stevenbg
02-07-2007, 01:12 AM
Well, since Pam posted hers, I guess I can post mine too.
Maybe I'll do another one for the March 15th posting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/38431-Self_Portrait_small.JPG

idylbrush
02-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, now that you guys have shown your old self portraits, it is time to get the new ones going. That includes you Steve, yours is now at least 24 hours old. good opportunity to do a new one.:)

Charlie's Mum
02-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Shucks Mr. Greeneyes - that's definitely old hat by now :evil: ... yes, another one for Howard on the 15th of next month ...:lol: :lol:

Question - are you all using photos of yourselves, or doing one from the mirror reflection?

idylbrush
02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I haven't quite decided on reflected or photographed yet. Does a picture of the back of my head count as a self portrait? Would be a better view.

....and lets be sure to not post any self portraits done for this project until March 15th. OK!

It's a surprise!

:lol:

bamaartist
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Hope it is ok to paint from a photo...
and no more postings until March 15th...
got it....;-)

a quick question:\\
When we do post do we post individual listings or will there be a thread just for the self portrait challenge?

just call me new to challenges.
txs

idylbrush
02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I think it might be posted in this thread since they have made it a sticky. It stays at the top of the list (generally within the sticky area which is the first four or five posts on the page). So, until it is done it will remain at or near the top.

Working from a photo is certainly fine.

This is a good time to have some fun, play, maybe not be quite so serious. Enjoy!

objectivistartist
02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Ahhhhhh - a dream self-portrait.... what an idea........:eek::lol:

idylbrush
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
...........or a frightful nightmare experience.

stevenbg
02-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, now that you guys have shown your old self portraits, it is time to get the new ones going. That includes you Steve, yours is now at least 24 hours old. good opportunity to do a new one.:)
Sorry about jumping the gun on this one, Howard. :evil:
I'll try to do another one for the March 15th posting.

bjcpaints
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh - thank you Howard! I just discovered this thread! I desperately need to do a new one, although I had not considered doing it in acrylics. Good challenge! Count me in!

AcrylicsMichelle
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Haven't done a SP since highschool... no wrinkles then :lol:
Real busy with work. Will try, but at the very least will be back to peak in at everyone else's work - sounds like fun :thumbsup:

rmc
02-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Have being trying to resist signing up for this.... but am sure I'll squeeze some time some where to do this..... off to a hilarious start at least - an hour of posing in bathroom mirror craning at digital camera screen :lol: - trying to avoid -double chins /frown lines / goofy smile / a so not 'princess Di' coy look.... why does the camera always fail to capture the beauty within?????:lol: :lol:
Not brave enought to attempt from life ... well done Steve for your great SP!!! Is anyone else going to do it from life?

friesin
02-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I' m going to join, too !!!!

idylbrush
02-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Welcome aboard everyone. Can't wait to see what happens on the 15th. All are welcome and I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Charlie's Mum
02-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Well, that's 21 (22 if Robert joins in!) by my reckoning ..... better build sufficient space in the Rogues' Gallery Howard! :D

objectivistartist
02-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Me join in? hmmmmm - guess that means I gotta shave......:lol:

idylbrush
02-11-2007, 12:10 PM
OK, I'm ready.

Poess
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I read this when you first posted it and have been thinkin about it since. I'll give it a try, it will be my first portrait, let alone self-portrait, (which I'm sure you'll be able to tell LOL)
Can't wait to see everyone's work!

idcrisis55
02-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Gosh, Howard, that was fast! I'm still trying to find a photo where I don't have dark circles under my eyes. :lol: I am going to try to paint this from life though which should be a kick. Can't wait to see what you and everyone else has done!

Amira
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm also at the 'looking for a photo' stage. I considered working from life but I honestly don't have a mirror at home (apart from the bathroom one, but I really don't plan on setting up my easel in the shower :D )

Amira

Polygon
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm probably in! Sounds like fun.

NDee
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey! I think I'm in on this one! I've been thinking of doing a portrait from life but don't want to ask a "real" person to sit for it for fear I would disappoint. Since it's just me I can get loose! I'm in.

Nitsa
02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Geez....Started mine last night...This is HARD! :eek:

I've completed 2 SP's before but one of them was an acrylic funky sorta pop art thing and one was a charcoal sketch where I bumped up the contrast on a photograph, which made things a little easier. ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/18769-Me-Acrylic-2005.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/18769-Me-Sketch-01-11-04.JPG

I'm trying for a more realistic approach this time around and boy is it ever hard. I feel like I am fighting what my eyes see with what my mind remembers me looking like...A battle between how things are and how I see myself...Most enlightening!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Charlie's Mum
02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm finding this extremely difficult .............. and I'm still at the thinking stage ! :lol::lol:

idcrisis55
02-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I've made a start by gessoing the canvas, toning it, and preparing the paint mixtures. First time, I've actually started to paint with acrylic in a couple of weeks. Felt so good! :D Now for the hard part, getting the sketch on the canvas done then actually painting it!

Cheers!

mrs willow
02-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Anita: IT IS HARD! I am just a wee bit further on than Maureen....I have decided...mine will be like a "Mug Shot" ...warts and all!:eek: :eek: Now to gesso the canvas!
Sandy

Nitsa
02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
LOL @ Maureen!

Ann and Sandy, are your canvasses not pre-gessoed?
Ann, preparing paint mixtures? :eek:

Tackled a little more for a bit today but didn't get too far...Did I mention...I HATE NOSES!!!! :rolleyes:

idcrisis55
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi Anita,

My canvas was gessoed but it was one previously painted and was sanded down. I needed another layer on it to smooth it out a bit more. I also tinted the gesso with cad. red medium. I mixed up skin colors using a palette of cad. yellow light, cad. yellow medium, perm. alizarin crimson, cad. red medium, ultra. blue, cobalt blue, black and gesso for the white. I don't have a cad. lemon in acrylics :( which would have been my cool yellow of choice. I may or may not use all those colors. It should be fun! I got the charcoal sketch done on the canvas which was one thing that was making me nervous. It has been sprayed with a mixture of medium/water to set it. Tomorrow, the paint! :D

Sandy, what is a wee bit farther than the thinking stage??? :lol: That really tickled me.

mrs willow
02-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Anita:Like Ann, my canvas is one I have used before... although I will say, I always gesso a canvas that is 'supposed ' to be pre gessoed....I like a good tooth!
Ann:'A wee bit further than the thinking stage" , usually means I am dithering:evil: :lol:
Sandy

idcrisis55
02-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Dithering, ROFL. I know what that is for sure. :D

Nitsa
02-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Ahhh, I see...Thanx for explaining ladies! ;)

Hoofmama
02-15-2007, 08:40 PM
My last attempt at a self-portrait was declared dead on arrival by my painting class. That was a couple of years and several paintings ago. Time to try again...count me in. :)

idcrisis55
02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I can relate what you said about your self-portrait declared DOA lol. I am about ready to drop kick this one since I don't want to take my frustrations out physically on me lol. I actually enjoy doing portraits but I feel my ineptness in being able to see and replicate what I see takes much redoing. Anyone else feel this way?

objectivistartist
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
ye ought to go thru Drawing a Likeness, by Graves.... great book for getting portraiture down right...
http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Likeness-Douglas-R-Graves/dp/0823013588/sr=1-2/qid=1171641350/ref=sr_1_2/102-1157340-5183330?ie=UTF8&s=books

idcrisis55
02-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks Robert, I will take a look at that book. I downloaded all of Andrew Loomis' .pdf's and have the .pdf's from Drawing 101 but don't actually have a book on portraiture. Truly, it is a matter of making myself practice, practice, practice.

chammi kaiser
02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm off to the Canary Island of Fuerte Ventura next Saturday. I'm hoping the hotel room will have a BIG mirror . Ughh! not sure if I want to get into this - requires a helluva lot of honesty - kind of warts and all attitude. Will give it a try. Really looking forward to getting back on the 10th March and then will have five days to see what I can produce out of sketches. Look at mine without your glasses on chaps.

Charlie's Mum
02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Chammi - after a bottle of the local brew, you'll look very rosy in the mirror :D - good time to draw :lol:
Enjoy the holiday and soak up some sun - with plenty of protection of course :D

Anita - did you do an underpainting first with the burnt umber gesso?

Still thinking :smug:

mrs willow
02-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Ann: my biggest problem with a portrait is being honest...I don't like to hurt peoples feelings.:evil: Now, a self portrait is even more difficult....I'm dealing with my own feelings ,which run the gamut between ..."not too bad for an old duck" ...to "O.M.G! How did this happen to me?" :crying: ....I have been known to give up in despair.....:crying: :crying: .....still dithering as to whether it will be a mirror job or a photo.:D :lol:
What's this about a drop of the local brew?...I might get a very relaxed looking self portrait.....good idea Maureen!:evil:
Sandy

idcrisis55
02-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Chammi, I hope you have a really marvelous trip and maybe you will share some of your sketches with us in the QDC. Will you be taking both paints and pencils with you? Maybe that is the part that is bothering me about my portrait, the warts and all. :D

Gosh Sandy, can I relate to what you said. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either and try to do the best I can. I have only done three charcoal portraits, two of them commissions, so am not that experienced.

To see me as I really am rather shocks me. Shows how often I really look at myself lol. But I am doing my best to render the grey mixed hair (which looks more blonde rather than grey), the wrinkles and the crepey skin. I'm using both a photo and a mirror or trying to anyway. I've turned the painting upside down to get a more accurate look at the shapes hoping that will help. It improved it some but much more work is needed.

Please don't give up in despair because I am sure there are others among us (besides me) that have experienced this too. Plus, it is all in good fun and an adventure. Especially if you have a glass of that something extra . . . :D

Hmmm, Maureen, are you coming up with something really outrageous for your portrait perhaps? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

mrs willow
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
:wave: Ann.. Hi! No...I won't give up. Going to my daughter's this w.e. after that, I will be revved up enough to make a start. It's all in my mind now ...just have to get it out!!!
Sandy

objectivistartist
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
One could always hold a mirror to a mirror behind, and render that.........:lol:

[am still thinking on mine too....]

firesignart
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I was just in the studio working on mine for a show in March. I will check in on the 16th!

NDee
02-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm kind of walking around depressed and dithering too. I look at myself every morning to put on makeup but looking at oneself in order to do a portrait makes you REALLY look and I'm going into shock too. How in the world did I get this old??? I've decided for sure that the lighting is going to be LOW and very flattering!! This is indeed going to be very interesting.

mrs willow
02-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Nancy, you are not alone with your feelings and thoughts!
I "think" I will stick with the mug shot .....better not do it too big... I would hate to frighten the grandkids!....'tis a very scary challenge Howard!
Sandy

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Believe me I know how frightening it can be. I had to use total detachment to get mine done and I painted as fast as I could and turned it to the wall as quickly as possible.

mrs willow
02-17-2007, 05:24 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Howard ...it couldn't have been that scary....just wait 'til you see mine :D :D hee hee!
Sandy

idylbrush
02-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Let's put it this way. I have no rodent issue in the studio at this time.:wink2:

Charlie's Mum
02-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I've just had a brilliant idea -
perchow! ....
(or something like that ...

I'll do a miniature - at 2x3", no one will see all the lines and the grey hair won't be so alarming, and the sagging chin won't sag as much, and I could even do a full length thingy and appear even smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good eh? :evil:

I'm off to tackle it now ........... erm ........ I've just remembered, there's a WDE to do first ..... shucks!

idcrisis55
02-17-2007, 11:44 AM
You all are so funny, I am enjoying the comical side you all are sharing!

*Deirdre*
02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Folk...most of you don't know me...some of you do...and know that I'm a rookie when it come to acrylics...not to mention that I've only attempted 1 portrait....however, that doesn't bother our Maureen, who has challenged me to join in anyway!....there are many points as to why I should leave well alone...and a few that tempt me to try anyway!:lol:
In my favour...I look much as I always have...well, through my eyes anyway! I don't see many wrinkles...too fat for those! And besides...I have god-given eyesight...20/20 vision aged 20...when I needed to look good and see even better and a third of that coming up to 60 - it figures, eh?:evil: :lol:
And my memory - well...I know I'm here for a challenge....aren't I?:confused:
I also know I need to read up on how to paint acrylic anything...oh...and portraits...I've just remembered!Ok...now we're cookin'!! Where's the cookery section?:eek: :o

eyepaint
02-17-2007, 01:48 PM
SP as rodent-repellent - funny. You might want to check if the rodents are actually nibbling away on the corners and thus keeping out of the rest of your goodies.

I'm making progress on mine, and while it's definitely a person it doesn't look like me. In fact, it looks like I'm from a different race. Note to self - fix the skin tone, the shape of the face, the eyes and nose, oh and widen the mouth, and ... (quit typing here and get to the easel!)

mrs willow
02-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Howard: Do you think it is safe to view?...I mean,if the rats and mice have left the studio... what will it do to us?
Maureen:"Kapow! is the word ....remember "Atom Man" and "Superman"?
P.S. If you make your painting small and paint in impressionist style people with poor eyesight won't even know it's you!
Deidre::wave: Over here Deidre....:music: Here is the creative dept! You are headed toward the culinary dept.
eyepaint: You poor little thing!I am sure you will soon find yourself.
Sandy

*Deirdre*
02-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Did someone mention food?:wave: :lol: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/33616-43096-8_8_361.gif Anyone for chocolate?:D

Charlie's Mum
02-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Maureen:"Kapow! is the word ....remember "Atom Man" and "Superman"?

Ah! That was what I couldn't remember!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dee - we'll stock up on the choccies for you ... and I'll help eat them :D

firesignart
02-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I have been working on mine and every time I leave it and walk into the studio again it makes me laugh. So it's good for that anyway!

Nitsa
02-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Maureen...You chicken!!! ..(Wish I'd thought of that!)
I'm using 3 colours of gesso, been wanting to see the 3 perform together and this seemed like a good time to experiment.

Welcome to the acrylic forum Deidre...yes, that's where you are and you are painting a portrait...ok? LOL!

LOL @ Howards rodent repellent. Howard you could sell a thousand prints of that here in the fens with all these barns!

idylbrush
02-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Brilliant idea Nitsa, you can be my European Agent with Maureen doing marketing.

mrs willow
02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, mine is started....ugh! It is sooo scary:eek: ...I wonder is gesso good for filling in wrinkles. Perhaps I will half close my eyes... it might look better.
Sandy

idcrisis55
02-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Do you mean filling in wrinkles on the canvas or on the face? :lol: Just couldn't resist asking that :D

Charlie's Mum
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Ah! I see I have a new job! Do I have to wear a suit Howard - look the part of a professional? :D:D

Well, mine's well underway - bet that's shocked you! ... and I'm not telling you the size either :p

Dee - will be in touch - and you'll feel quite at home here too! Nitsa lives not so very far from you! ...... well, not as far as I do anyway!

Gesso is very good for wrinkles Sandy :D - either on the canvas or the face ... it's a bit stiff when it dries and keeps the lines rigid so you don't re-make them when you SMILE!!!!!

mrs willow
02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Hee, hee!...Both Ann!

Maureen: postage stamp size???:evil:
I had better not put a smile on my portrait...think I will stick to the rigid look.....remember what happened to Dorian Grey??!!! O.M.G.!!!:
Sandy

metalhead
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey hcowdrick, thanks for posting this challenge!

Yesterday, my self portrait was nothing but a pencil drawing on a canvas, and even as just that, I though, "Hmm, not a bad likeness -- surprisingly good, actually." But, I also thought, "just wait until you put paint on it... that halfway decent drawing will be obliterated in a mass of flesh colored goo, which will dry permanently into evidence of your incompetence!"

Well, today, I painted.

HO LEE CRAP! I say again... HO LEE CRAP!

Somehow....somehow... it came out, like PERFECT! I am stunned. STUNNED. It only took me about 1.5 hours (I repainted my chin maybe 5 times, my lips, probably 3, everything at least twice... but in the end... from a distance, it looks photographic, and up close, kind of impressionistic. Exceeds my best hopes by far. I've painted faces before (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242043), the goal being only to make them recognizable as members of the human species, (and uh, yeah, ok, they're all sort of pretty Asian girls, I admit. Gotta have some motivaion...) But this is recognizeable as ME! And not a bad job, if I do say so myself. (Ok, it's me 3 or 4 years ago, when I wasn't as old and ugly as I am now, but stilll, it's recognizable not only as human, but as a specific individual human, as ME!) I am really astonished. What's probably most astonishing is tht while I used a grid to do the drawing, the grid's resolution was such that my entire head fit within a single square of the grid. (It's 18x24 inches, and I divided it into an 8x8 grid, and it's a full body shot.) The last 3 hours I've just been pacing back and forth looking at what I've done in shock -- longer than it took me to paint it in the first place.

Anyway, this might turn out to be my best painting ever so far. Thanks for the challenge.

p.s. Actually it's not all done, just the hard part, the face (and torso). The background, etc., remains,... not to neglect it, but, comparatively, what's left is a piece of cake.

Charlie's Mum
02-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Can't wait to see this Stephen - you sound so excited .... Bravo I say :clap: :clap: :D :D

idylbrush
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I am so thrilled we have so many participating. Now to get past my fear of showing mine. It is rather like showing the worst of the worst, worts and all. It is interesting to face yourself. We frequently look in a mirror but just how much do we really see until we face it straight on.

Linee
02-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I've been doing more acrylic paintings lately, including a self-portrait. I'm thinking of starting a second one. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to post one yet, being new. We'll see.....:cool:

Where exactly do you post paintings, in general, for critique? Do you post an acrylic painting on the acrylic board, or is there some place just for critiques?

Charlie's Mum
02-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Line - welcome!
Just go back a step to the main forum page for Acrylics here and go to New Thread at the top of the listings ..... you'll need title and painting resized to 500pix on longest measurement, 100k or under in size.
It's good to give some indication of the size of the painting and the support - canvas, paper etc.

You still have almost a month to join us here on the SP challenge - and we'll be posting those in this thread. Do join us!

so dort
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Gosh, I haven't done a self portrait since 1973 and that was from a college ID photo. It was pretty hideous and the photo was taken in the shadows. Can this one be a fantasy picture? Maybe what I'll be when I grow up? Gotta start soon on that "growing up". Age is creeping up on me rapidly. How about an alter ego, like Clark Kent? :)

idylbrush
02-21-2007, 06:07 AM
Linee, there is also a critique forum but we are always glad to have a chance to look at others works.

Brenda, you post it the way you sees it. It can be a fantasy thing, an abstract, a cartoon, whatever hits your fancy.

About that whole growing up thing, it is highly over rated. Postpone it as long as you possibly can.

Dueck
02-22-2007, 07:39 AM
How do I join? Or do I just post the result in this thread, come March 15?

idcrisis55
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
All you have to do to join is post your self-portrait in this thread on March 15th. It should be such fun to see everyone's self-portrait and interesting to see how we view ourselves. :D

meganj
02-22-2007, 01:48 PM
I've really enjoyed the conversations here, and I want to do this. I found 3 pics of me, all younger, that I would love to do... and I think this one ought to be now. Warts and all... Mid 40s and I feel so old... sigh.

idylbrush
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I've really enjoyed the conversations here, and I want to do this. I found 3 pics of me, all younger, that I would love to do... and I think this one ought to be now. Warts and all... Mid 40s and I feel so old... sigh.

Dear heart, you don't even know the beginning of old.

Clever
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
How did I keep missing this? I guess I'll have to give it a go...

Linee
02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
I started mine today. I spent 3 hours this afternoon pretty much making a mess. After taking a break to make supper for the fam, I went back at it. It looks a lot better after the 2 hours after supper I put into it. Maybe it didn't help that I didn't start with a drawing, I just started painting. I guess I was feeling a little cocky. Well, I've been humbled! I hope it works out from now on.

This is only my 4th portrait with absolutely no lessons!

mrs willow
02-24-2007, 06:01 AM
Metalhead: You sound so excited about your painting....I wish I could feel that way about mine:envy: Mine's scary!
Li-nee...:wave: Be brave...:D \
Brenda:Age doesn't creep up. One day, you... oh so innocently, wake up in the morning and ...look in the mirror...and....lo and behold :eek: :eek: :eek:
Dueck:I definitely agree with Howard...postpone ageing!:D
Meganj::wave: mid forties is not old!! I loved my mid forties! Sigh...
Margaret:Come on ...it's play time!
Sandy

metalhead
02-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Came across this... maybe some inspiration...
http://javeartwork.blogspot.com/index.html
(It's a blog of this guy who gets people to send him self portraits from around the world.)

idylbrush
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Wonderful site and a very insightful site as well. Most intriguing.

Faded
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm in,if there's still room...
-David

idcrisis55
02-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone, :wave: I'm still working on the self-portrait but get closer to the finish, hooray!

Metalhead, I think that is Capricorne from the Watercolor Forum that has that Blog site. I thought it was pretty cool too. He does beautiful figure work in watercolors.

metalhead
02-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Metalhead, I think that is Capricorne from the Watercolor Forum that has that Blog site. Huh, small internet. I came across it on metafilter.com

Linee
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Can we cheat and post our painting at one of the critique forums before posting here? :cool:

Just kidding. That's wouldn't be fun now, would it? I worked 10 hours yesterday. (hey, I was on a roll!) But, I think I'm done for now. :clap:

How's it going, people?

mrs willow
02-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Mine has been on hold for a few days...been very busy doing other things ...hoping that today is THE day ...if there are no interruptions.
SAndy

idylbrush
02-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I am carefully avoiding the temptation to go back and change mine. I know better and know to leave things well enough alone. Now if I could stop that twitch in my left hand I would be OK.

LOL

Linee
02-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I am carefully avoiding the temptation to go back and change mine. I know better and know to leave things well enough alone. Now if I could stop that twitch in my left hand I would be OK.

LOL

I know what you mean. My right hand is twitching as I type. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Mine's on hold too- stuck on the walll looking at me while I struggle with the roses!
Not much left to do - could even leave it as is ......... still about 3 weeks to reveal :(

idylbrush
02-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Actually 16 days since this is not leap year.

two weeks two days.

How many hours?

Don't go there.

LightDancer
02-28-2007, 01:31 AM
Hm, this sounds like fun. I've got a big greyhound event this weekend. If, after that, I sit still long enough to do something fun I'd love to participate. :)

Linee
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
After visiting the Information Kiosk, I think I'm chickening out. I really don't know what I'm doing! I only did two portraits before trying my own. I'm on my 3rd self-portrait, and they just aren't right! 3 strikes and I'm out! :o :rolleyes:

Kimizzy
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
hahahahaha.... I like Robert's approach... interesting twist.

Count me in... haven't done a self-portrait in a while...

idylbrush
02-28-2007, 11:36 PM
After visiting the Information Kiosk, I think I'm chickening out. I really don't know what I'm doing! I only did two portraits before trying my own. I'm on my 3rd self-portrait, and they just aren't right! 3 strikes and I'm out! :o :rolleyes:

This is just supposed to be fun. Try to not take it to seriously and enjoy the process. The rest doesn't matter.

:D

Linee
03-01-2007, 01:08 AM
This is just supposed to be fun. Try to not take it to seriously and enjoy the process. The rest doesn't matter.

Thanks for the reminder. Self-portrait = fun? I did experience a little of that :thumbsup: , so I will be thankful regardess of my frustrations. :)

droll
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Im new as of today......I want to play! Not sure if I can find my way back here lol But am starting a self portrait,havent done one in two years hope to talk again soon d

idylbrush
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Come on, play along, its fun.

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Of course it's fun! It's just the 'looking in the mirror and seeming cross' bit that's not! :lol:
Droll - the email notification you get from this thread will always have a link back to the thread, so you can find us like that ..... and the Forum Jump at the bottom of each page gets you to the forum too :D

Howard - my counting let me down huh? .. sorry ... 14 days left :eek:

michellej
03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
An sp in acrylic? hmm...........do I dare? hmmm..............okay lets give it a whirl. Look out Maureen, i'm coming in at the deep end with you:lol:

TheEclecticArtiste
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Wonderful. Just the thing to get back in the swing. But, will it look like me?

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Haha Michelle - I've already created waves, so you jumping in won't matter - the more the merrier ... longing to see what others do!

Eclectic - if you've been here since 2000, it's about time you joined us!
Now, I'll look at your profile to see if there's a photo there - then we'll know whether or not the painting is accurate! :lol:

Thinks - better edit my profile now! :eek:

razamakaz
03-01-2007, 05:31 PM
oooooo, think I might participate if I can get myself organised - what with this and the different strokes project!

Now... do they sell canvases big enough....???

connievanwinssen
03-02-2007, 03:21 AM
Okay, I'm gonna do a double selfportrait today.:) :eek:

objectivistartist
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
hmmmmm - let's see - that would be a mirror within a mirror? :eek:

connievanwinssen
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I finished it. Just wait and see:evil: :D

Linee
03-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm done......again. :rolleyes: :cool: That makes 1 portrait done before the challenge. I wasn't happy with it AT ALL. I did a second after seeing the challenge, but it just wasn't me. So, now I've done my 3rd and final, and I'm happy to say that I'm content with it. :)

Charlie's Mum
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
A double portrait Connie? Crikey ... one's enough for me!

Linee - contentment is good :D

matt__ring
03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm in!

idylbrush
03-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Welcome, have some fun and we will see you on the 15th.

eyepaint
03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I hope Howard's still serious about the "just have fun with it" theory because, well, hopefully more folks will chuckle at my result (and few will gasp in horror). Was considering tweaking it further but I've decided to move on and improve my skills on other paintings and try a SP again in a few months' time.

Can you remind us closer to the 15th to post our horrors, I mean our SPs?

Cheers,

Lady Carol
03-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Folk...most of you don't know me...some of you do...and know that I'm a rookie when it come to acrylics...
Hey D, watcha doin' over here.....?

This is my home town, so I get to do the comparisons. Make sure you post a ref :evil: :lol: :lol:

stevenbg
03-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, I started mine today.
I'm painting from life in the bathroom mirror, which feels kind of silly.
I've only worked on it for about an hour, so it's still pretty rough, but I think it just might turn out OK.
We'll see on the 15th.....:D

Charlie's Mum
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Hi Steve - I've done mine from a mirror too - quite frightening the expressions I've gone through! maybe it should have been in the Fantasy forum where the Fantasy Self Portrait is in progress!!!!!

Carol - don't get the whip out to Dee please - she's a friend! :lol:

Hey Matt :wave: - welcome to the Mad House :lol: :lol:

EP - I'm sure there'll be plenty of reminders - if not the Police Force at your door to tell you the date!!!!!!!!

idylbrush
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Just follow the sounds of laughter and shrieks of horror, that be it.

ms.jennamarie
03-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Howard have you been reading my mind again?...I swear I have had a self portrait on my mind for a few weeks now.
I'm in! :D

Maureen....Carol.....Can we have some glue on this thread?...Pretty please??? :angel:

what does this mean? i have a feeling this is some WC lingo i should become familiar with.

idylbrush
03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
In this case the glue is in reference to making a thread a sticky, Stickies are the notes that are always at the top of the current up to date page. Generally reserved to special threads which are things like Quick Dry Cafe, What's on your easel, monthly projects, things like that.. Hope that poor definition helps clear things a bit.

Nitsa
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Howard I have a feeling I will not be finished by the 15th as I'm away next weekend...Do I just post where I'm at on the 15th and then add the completed portrait at a later date?

BTW...Thankyou for explaining my cryptic post to Jennamarie. :thumbsup:

idylbrush
03-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Nitsa, if you feel compelled to show what you have done on the 15th, that is fine. Finish it up later and show again. Have a weekend getaway.

Charlie's Mum
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
LOL MsJen - you'll soon get to know the place- and us :D

Welcome to the forum :D

ecobb
03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks hcowdrick, I just read through your post and you and the group suckered me in. I have a few days so it should be fun. See you all on the 15th.

mrs willow
03-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Just follow the sounds of laughter and shrieks of horror, that be it.
I am shrieking Howard...I seem to have got out of control...one of my eyes is skewed and I have more chins than is normal...(I hope!!)
Sandy

Hoofmama
03-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Is it the 15th yet? Sigh.:o

idylbrush
03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Hang in there, it will arrive before you know it.

michellej
03-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Well..... I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who is dithering around. I never thought starting a painting could be so stressful:(

idylbrush
03-10-2007, 06:03 PM
It all starts with the first brushstroke.

mrs willow
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
michellej...you think starting is stressful?? I have just finished mine!! It is NOT how I would like to present myself! My husband assures me that this is how I DO look!....I am REALLY stressed now!:eek: :eek: :crying:
Sandy

Charlie's Mum
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
That was quick Howard - just looked at your last ost in QDC and here's the new avatar already!
Got your beady eye on us eh? ... :D

Finished mine today - kept touching and re-touching ... He-who-should-be-obeyed-but-seldom-is says it's not like me - but I don't know how to make it more like me ... it's very disconcerting staring at oneself without frowning :eek: ........ may do another ....... thinking ........ thinking .......

idylbrush
03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
The countdown begins. Just a few more days.

Clever
03-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm going to start mine today!!!!!

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm thoroughly depressed ... tried another couple of prep drawings today ...... rubbish, both. :(

*Deirdre*
03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Hey D, watcha doin' over here.....?

This is my home town, so I get to do the comparisons. Make sure you post a ref :evil: :lol: :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2007/33616-34523-roflbo_emoticon.gif
I was going to do one in the mirror...you gonna fly over to look over my shoulder then?:lol: :p :evil: :wink2:

idylbrush
03-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I refuse to look at mine until the 15th and then it is to late to do anything about. Must say, no rodents in the studio.

catrus
03-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Howard, love the new avatar. I can't wait to see your portrait. I haven't looked at mine since I finished it either.

rmc
03-11-2007, 11:59 PM
I finally got around to starting last night - a bit pushed for time + I think I had also forgotten how to paint!!!!
Anyhow whats done is done - must confess that there was a tad of cosmetic surgery / botox to the frown lines - but what's artistic liscence for if not to enhance my own self portrait!!!

idylbrush
03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
3 days and counting

NDee
03-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey Ruth, if you can't fudge a little bit with your own portrait then what's the point? Mine makes me look thinner, younger and on a good hair day! Why, I think I'll do another!

rmc
03-12-2007, 09:39 PM
hiya Nancy - to quote my husband 'you can't do that' -'Do what?' I ask innocently - 'Well, you're not that beautiful' 'No', I tell him - 'this is the true me, not that wrinkled oldie in the mirror' I love mine - absolutely good hair day and younger - crucial!!!!!

idylbrush
03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
In preparation for Thursday. We will be starting a new thread for everyone to show their efforts.

I will post it and ask a moderator to lock this thread. As soon as you see the new thread please be sure to post your image there.

Getting closer.

mrs willow
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
It's even closer here....today is the 13th!
I haven't looked at mine for days..too afraid I will fiddle with it. :eek: :(
Sandy

Selahs art
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Better finish mine too.

Retha

mrs willow
03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
It's the 14th here! One more sleep to go ...then all hell breaks loose..:D :D :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:
Sandy

Clever
03-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Well its still the 13th here and I've just gotten a ground down and a sketch...hopefully I can work on it some in the am and pm and then in the am on the 15th...whew...

Clever
03-14-2007, 12:05 AM
hiya Nancy - to quote my husband 'you can't do that' -'Do what?' I ask innocently - 'Well, you're not that beautiful' 'No', I tell him - 'this is the true me, not that wrinkled oldie in the mirror' I love mine - absolutely good hair day and younger - crucial!!!!!

Now Ruth...did you hit him? ;)

mrs willow
03-14-2007, 05:54 AM
OoooH! OoooH!!Tomorrow is the day!....!!???strange things happening...spooky things...scary things....:eek: :eek: :eek:
Sandy

*Deirdre*
03-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Has a time been decided? Is there one time when we're all awake?:confused:

rmc
03-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Well - I've just checked all the down under first to see the light of day folks entries - at least I think there is Sandy, Lulu, Eyepaint, Gill and I (or is it me) - So maybe you slow coaches up north will wake up to our rogues gallery???? Or shall we wait until the evening to post - I'm seeing so many things I want to alter on my portrait now - have to keep slapping that hand - down!!!!

Quote 'Now Ruth...did you hit him?'
Nah - it's enough that I am having the pleasure of telling the world! I've told him he's got to take it and post it in his office to keep all the young girls away - he's commuting home every second weekend or so - the family have stayed put while he's been transfered to another city for work.

idylbrush
03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Well, in order to accomodate the folks "down under" and their being the first in the world to experience the 15th. The time has come. Please look and post in the Self Portraits Thread. We shall see about locking this thread. Thank you all for participating.