PDA

View Full Version : Gathering

Poess
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
This is the first time I've painted in close to 3 weeks. I went to a gallery around here, the first time I've done that, in the hopes maybe they would hang my art there. They basicly looked at me like I was crazy and said condescending things like "keep at it, you'll get better" and stuff like that. I know I just started painting, but I was really upset...I kinda get hurt easily..
anyway, I had a dry spell on painting for a while because of questioning my ability.....
but I'm back
I love painting and won't let what someone says stop me from doing what I love...I don't do it for them anyway, I do it for me.
blah, blah, blah...sorry about that
Here's the painting I did last night. It is 16 x 20. I'll attatch a few closeups too.
:)

Selahs art
02-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I like your paintings, maube you should just put more contrasts and shading in your figures.
Dont let them put you off.

Retha

Poess
02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not very good with contrast and shading people. I did work on it on this one tho...but the pic I took doesn't show it very well...
I think I will probably go back and darken some of my brush strokes.
Thanks for commenting!

dreamz
02-05-2007, 04:48 PM
we all have heard the same basic comments but don't let one gallery get you down, use the comments to grow. Try other galleries or look for juried shows/shops. The only way you'll improve is to paint, paint, paint. For shadows and skin tones try using a thinner paint (glaze) in layers.

One reason I don't like thumbnails is its so difficult top refer back to the picture!

You have a very good grasp of figures now just let the paint talk to you

chammi kaiser
02-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Hollie, I can really understand all the feelings you are going through. It is not an easy road getting one's work accepted. I am so glad that you are carrying on carrying on,despite any negative(although it is not really negative) feedback from galleries. Just really enjoy the process and suddenly it happens!! Paint for the sheer enjoyment of it. The joy shines through and someone loves your work and Eureka, you are there. I like your work. There are strong contrasts and there is a lot of strength happening . Just keep going and playing with those strong and vibrant colours.

Poess
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you! I love painting now and I am too sensitive. I need to get over that.
I will definately keep painting and trying new things...I can see each one I do gets better in small ways. And it used to take me 10 + hours a painting, whereas now this one took about 8 and I like it better than the other...more efficient strokes.
:)

idylbrush
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate to tell you this, but those feelings never change you just learn to deal with them better. You also learn to be selective in the galleries you approach. I think for the most part they were rather gentle. I have had galleries all but chase me out and tell me to never come back again.

Another approach might be to set up a gallery review. This is a chance for someone (outside of family and friends) to review your work and hopefully give you some positive feedback. It can also be a bit less pressure since you are searching for advice.

I had to adopt the attitude that I would stick around long enough to wear them down. It has helped me.

Poess
02-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks hcowdrick,
I need to deal with it better. And I should have know this gallery wasn't for me when I saw all the paintings had no more than 10 brushstrokes of 3 random colors....seriously, like 10 vertical lines of 3 colors...like wall paper...pretty...kinda...but nothing like mine
anyway, how would I go about setting up a gallery review? I just began trying to get my art seen about a year ago, and started painting in early november..
I don't know really anything about how to go about getting honest opinions on my style or getting my stuff in any gallery...
the internet has been a great tool, but I need more guidance and I'm not sure where to find it.
My family isn't really into art....
my twin doesn't have ANY interest and pretty much the same for the rest of my family aside from my husband and my little sister.

Lady Carol
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
You only went to one gallery. What do they know. Keep on pounding the pavement going to gallery after gallery, eventually you will find one that likes your work. Did you target a gallery that had similar work to yours, or was it abstract, realism, etc? Oh, I see that you answered that above. You also need to demonstrate that people buy your work, so keep a list of pieces you've sold and this will prove to the gallery that your art will sell.

I have been painting for 5 years and I am yet to show my work to a gallery. I do not think I am good enough. But having said that, I have submitted to shows and got accepted and I have sold a ton of work. Maybe I should go to galleries.

idcrisis55
02-06-2007, 11:42 AM
You have received some good suggestions and encouragement which is good for all of us that are thinking of presenting our work to galleries. Are you a member of some local art groups? They will sometimes have well known artists come to a monthly meeting and critique works presented for critique by members. It is also a good way to meet other artists and become more aware of what is going on in the art market in your area. I would suggest entering their art shows which will help with both acceptance of your work and sometimes, rejection. Understanding why a painting is rejected is almost more valuable than having a piece accepted because of what we learn, even though rejection can hurt and make us feel less an artist. I try to look at rejection as a challenge to improve. The other thing is, as others have said, what works for one gallery will not work for another gallery. Good luck and much success with your painting.