PDA

View Full Version : GED'ed out.

ryot
02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Heya. We'll I dropped out of high school do to some personal reasons, then I took my GED. For those of you who don't know or are outside of the US GED stands for General Edjucation Diploma and invovles taking a test to show you know the material one would need to get a normal High school dipolma. Its "Suposed" to be the equavilent to a normal Diploma but every one knows its sort of looked down on. Im looking to apply to art schools over the summer/spring and hopefully mabye get into one for the upcomming fall or even spring semister.

So now onto the acctual question. Has any one gotten into na art school with a GED that you know, or mabye it was you and if so any tips for a slacker?

Koi
02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
If you don't mind waiting, you could always try and get into a junior college to give you time to work on your portfolio, and also to save up money. It's what I'm doing right now. And yes, I have a GED as well. :wave:

However, I would also like to say that having a GED might not hold you back. Having a GED with low scores will though. I personally still have to slog my way through several remedial math classes. :o

Good luck!

ryot
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the response and yes I was thinking about that. Going to a community college then transfering.

onefinepint
02-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Colleges often take into account adversities students have had to overcome. There is usually an essay question that may give you an opportunitiy to explain adversities. Students who have achieved in spite of adversities gain some credibility at many colleges. Look at the application to see if there is a portion that gives you that opportunity. If you can provide strong references and evidence that you have overcome whatever caused you difficulties in high school, a GED doesn't necessarily have to be an obstacle. Good luck with your efforts.

mad mike
02-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I have a Military GED and a Florida State GED. It has never been an issue for me, while seeking employment, or higher education.

I also have a rather low opinion of anyone who "looks down" on a GED.

Mike S.

Enchanted
02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
The question of whether or not a particular school will admit you is one that the school alone can answer. Different schools have different admission policies, usually depending on the number of students they can accommodate and whether or not they are trying to pack the numbers in order to maintain their tax-supported funding. Private schools differ too.

And as has already been mentioned, community colleges are often easier to get into, and are more lenient once you're in. Once you have earned credits in the community college, it's often easier to get into a 4-yr university program. Just be sure the courses you take in community college will transfer to whatever degree program you plan to follow in the 4-yr school.

:)

ryot
02-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yea my plan was close to the community college for 2 years or so and transferring to a 4 year university or dedicated arts college.