PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Monster

Morphology
02-05-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm very new to digital photography so I'd love to get feedback from everyone. I figured this would be better recieved here than in photography as I've done a bit of work to it in PS.

Please let me know what you think!

green tea
02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Interesting composition here. It's kind of hard to make out what is in his hand, but that is what makes me keep looking at it. You should learn all that you can about curves and levels in PS. You can do some amazing stuff in PS when you take the time to learn the program. There are a ton of great tutorials on the internet to help you out. Check this one out for example, and inspiration http://www.radiantvista.com/
Kevin

barryt
02-05-2007, 06:41 AM
A striking composition and leaves a little bit of mystery.

madster
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I love the image, but hate the photoshopping...
The cool looking pocket monster is lost amidst a mile of wrist and forearm, and too much shadow emphasis.

I thought the point of this piece was the Pocket Monster, not the giant white forearm...lol!

Rule number 1 when using photographs for art references: You are not obligated to paint everything in the photo. In fact, you usually shouldn't, and should selectively choose a specific focal point, and then crop away everything that does not help direct the eye to that focal point...

Here is a quick crop and emphasis on the Pocket Monster:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/11834-Monster.jpg

Before you use a photo editor on a picture, it's best to first crop your image to best fill up your canvas (or monitor, or paper, or whatever) with your focal point. Then adjust basic contrasts to best emphasize your focal point, and THEN play with the filters and color adjustments.

He's a cute little fella, but would be much nicer and easier to appreciate without all the other distractions...

~M

omniartz
02-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I tend to agree with Madster. The forearm takes away from the focus. And just a little light on your real subject wouldn't hurt! Very cool idea and nice execution, as a place to start. :)