PDA

View Full Version : Basic 102 - Class 11 - Water

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:03 PM
WATER

Water. It is the most majestic element in nature. There is nothing more meditative or soothing than the rhythmic sound of waves crashing on a beach, or the soft rippling of a small stream. There are oceanscapes, harbors, piers, reflections, seashores, rivers, streams, waterfalls, lakes and even just puddles.

Our water landscape possibilities are endless. But without the tools to understand how to draw water, we become overwhelmed as to the task of how we're suppose to draw it!! All those ripples, waves, reflections....oh my!! So we put our favorite scenes away, hoping to be braver another day. Does that sound familiar?

Lesson Goal:

The goal of this lesson is two fold - we are going to explore how to draw water, but more importantly we are going to review the process of observation, analysis and interpretation, the "tools" that will allow us to draw any subject matter, no matter how complex.

That's a pretty tall order, but I think we can accomplish it.

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Homework (optional)

If you are lucky enough to own Mike Sibley’s “Drawing Line to Life” book, I would recommend that you read Chapter 20 – Drawing Reflections. Mike does an absolute phenomenal job explaining reflections.

In the previous lesson I mentioned Mike’s book. There is a reason this book has been mentioned again. If you are serious about drawing, then you seriously need to purchase his book. It is that important!

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:05 PM
The Power of Observation.

Before I got brave enough to pick up my pencil in 2002, I spent a couple years just looking. I got my first digital camera and started to take photos of everything. I began to open my eyes and look around me. It is amazing what you see when you really start "looking".

"The more you look, the more you see. The more you see, the more you understand."

To experience a landscape you must visually, mentally, emotionally and physically observe it.

Not all of us have the opportunity to draw plein air (on location). So we use photographs. We need to be aware of the limitations of using photographs. One of these short-comings is It flattens the view to 2-dimensions. You can't see what is tucked behind an object. If you didn't take the photograph - you have to take additional steps to 'become connected" to a scene. You need to mentally envision walking through your scene. Do research...look at various reference photos at different angles to help you "understand" what you are looking at. Feel the textures, feel the wind on your face, or the spray of water at your feet. This "understanding" what you are seeing, is the power of observation.

So let's look at our first image. Courtesy of Aleksandra Freeman aka stalksthedawn from the Images Library. Aleksandra captured a beautiful swan swimming. The swan is so simple and I'm itching to draw it, but oh that water and reflections! How do we begin?

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
The Analysis

We know it is water, we know it is fluid, transparent and reflective. We know the swan is swimming in the water and we know we are seeing the swan's reflections in the water. We KNOW all of this from the first step - observation.

This step is to analyze what we are seeing in the image. By breaking this image down into smaller sections. We can identify 'clues' that will help us draw the characteristics of water that makes it...water.

By changing our focus to just the water and looking at it in an "abstract" format, it will allow us to analyze just what we are "SEEING".

I cropped the image so we can concentrate on the water reflections. I posterized the image (a Photoshop feature) to reduce the number of values seen and turned the photo into grayscale. I am abstracting and simplifying the image.

Now it doesn't look overwhelming - I can now study the movement of the waves, the shapes, and the values. I have broken this complex image into simple shapes and values. I have reduced this into something I can grasp.

I can do sketches at this point to identify the most prominent waves, I can map out my values for my composition. This is the analysis stage that helps me grasp what I am looking at.

CAUTION: Do not create your final drawing from this stage. Your drawing will take on these qualities of abstractness, lifelessness and looking flat.

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:07 PM
The Interpretation

Here is the step that is the most exciting and where each artist's interpretation immerges. Let's return to B&W image of the swan. Does it look less overwhelming now? To me, the water is now nothing more than values and shapes.

But since we don't want to just draw "values and shapes", we need to interpret and decide what clues to include. It is just as important to decide what not to include as well. Things to consider is what is the focus of the drawing? Is it the swan or the reflection of the swan? We don't want to over-emphasize the reflections if the swan is the focal point.

We've done our preliminary observation and analysis of our subject matter. The interpretation is the where the creative license of the artist begins!

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Assignment 1:

Try your hand at drawing the swan and the water reflections. Study the image, see what you can find as 'clues' that will help provide the viewer to recognize that this swan is swimming in water.

OR Choose your own photo reference with reflections in the water. Boats and harbors are wonderful subject matters.

Post your results and your ideas of this process. Did it help? What clues did you discover?

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Oceans & waves

Not all landscapes involve up-close images such as the swan swimming. Ocean or seascapes require a completely different type of interpretation and representation.

This might seem a bit simplistic, but no matter how I try to illustrate how to draw water, I seem to end up with this approach. Do you remember your first drawing of a boat in water? Remember that one line of waves under that boat? Well, that’s basically the pencil stroke I use!!

Here is an example of the horizontal rocking back and forth, overlapping my strokes. The strokes are much smaller and shorter for the distant waves. By concentrating on the under shadows of the waves, my water seems to just appear.

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Assignment #2:

Try your hand at waves. This image keeps these to a minimum and just a splash on the rocks. It’s a simple composition but looks can be deceiving!!

This reference photo is courtesy of scratchboard artist, Karen Hendrickson of Waldport Oregon. Iowa doesn’t have any oceans, so Karen keeps me stocked with beautiful photos from her own “backyard”.

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I have posted my version of this scene as a guide. You can see I've cropped the photo to tighten up the composition of the scene. The rocks have been given a rough texture and a hint of shapes that 'read' seagulls.....

DianeWright
02-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Assignment #3:

Pull out your favorite water reference photo that you’ve been wanting to draw. Try your hand at drawing reflections, boats, seascapes, beaches, etc….

Post your results. And be sure to ask questions!!!!!

Diane

Judi1957
02-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Diane! Your classes have been invaluable!:clap: :clap:
Chapter 20.... on my way.:thumbsup:

scrappie
02-04-2007, 11:20 PM
This will be fun. :)

jmfletch
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Diane!!! Another great lesson!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well off to review Chapter 20 before giving this lesson a go.

Again Diane thank you for sharing your time and your talent! :thumbsup:
Joe

tyree
02-05-2007, 12:15 PM
THANK YOU Diane...another great tutorial...the one thing you mentioned about not keeping the abstract shapes in your drawing seems to be one of my faults in my drawings...tyree:wave:

DianeWright
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
the one thing you mentioned about not keeping the abstract shapes in your drawing seems to be one of my faults in my drawings...

Tyree - If you are after realism in your drawings, then you will want to keep the abstract shapes to a minimum. But if your work leans towards abstract or impressionistic, then abstracting the shapes become important. There is nothing wrong with any of these forms of expression. We, as artists, just have to be aware of the differences and apply the appropriate methods to our desired results.

Diane

frieda L
02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
sweet, the water class is on!
thanks Diane, I will keep reading your words over and over again, until the water won't be scary any more!
Lots of seascapes here, from the very peaceful, quiet waters of the Sea of Cortez to the wild waves of the Pacific!
off to play with water...
frieda

frieda L
02-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I am having trouble finding the Strathmore 300 series bristol paper...
so far, the best I found is "The Lyndhurst, made by Daler Rowney, smooth cartridge sketch book, 135gram per square meter. I do not know much about paper, and haven't found many to compare it to. Maybe someone in the class can give me some idea...
Is my paper any good, I have a feeling it is too "lightweight" for the purpose...
thanks,
frieda

tvandeb
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Great tutorial!!! Water is always intimidating when I draw, the reflections I've never tried, it'll be interesting to see what I come up with.:eek:
Thanks Diane!!:wave:

ElleZee
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, here is my attempt at assignment #1. The swan looks alright, don't know about that water :lol:. I was going to leave the lighter reflections at the top (created in the photo from something on the shore) but now I think I'll fill them in darker. Off to try assignment #2 :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/67205-assign1-swan.jpg

Judi1957
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey Lori! I would call that water!:clap: :thumbsup:

scrappie
02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Not much to look at but it's a start.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/88717-swan_1.jpg

DianeWright
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Lori - that is fantastic! The swan and the water are done beautifully. Now the question I have for you is....did you follow the analysis process of the assignment? And if you did, did it help??

Scrappie - good start!

Diane

frieda L
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Lori, (blu_ize)that is just amazing! Look at those ripples, you can see the swan glide, ...:clap: :clap: :clap: (sign it, girl:thumbsup: )

Every pack has an ugly duckling,...here it is:lol:
Here is my first water attempt.
How did I do it?
1: looked at the photo
2: stared at the posterized one for an hour
3: bought a yummy handlotion,...oh now I cannot draw, greasy hands...
4: stared at the photo for another hour
5: bought an icecream... sticky hands...
After chickening out all morning and part of the afternoon, looking at the posterized version, I looked at the photo again, and suddenly it seemed approachable:lol: :lol:
I divided it into 5 parts that I thought were different, the circle ripples, and the left bottom corner, bottom right, upper right, upper left...
tried to get a feel for each part, at first worked very slowly, and then I forgot to pay attention, clicked off my brain, and just had fun. I am not sure that was the right thing to do, I suppose if you want a realistic looking drawing, maybe you need to be mindful till the end? I do not know.
the posterized version did help me decide which pencils to use,
maybe I will do it again by the end of the week
Yesterday morning I was considering taking up knitting again, but actually, this was fun.
frieda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/22676-swan_001.jpg

DianeWright
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Frieda - you are a hoot!!! You did a fantastic job too!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for writing down your process - this will help others out immensely as they attempt these ripples!!!

Diane

Judi1957
02-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Scrappie-Great start!

Frieda-That is gorgeous!:clap: :clap: What kind of ice cream do you recommend?

Vincent 22
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Dove triple chocolate!!!
frieda

JayD
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Diane, sorry I missed doing an intro for you--I just got out of the hospital with nasty bug so I am trying to catch up--my apologies.

DianeWright
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Frieda - that sounds yummy! Maybe that's what I need a big bowl of ice cream while I'm drawing....

JayD - OH NO! I hope you are on the mend!! These folks don't need much of an intro as they are just diving into this water business!!! (sorry for the pun :lol: )...seriously though, I hope you are feeling better...

Diane

ElleZee
02-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Scrappie - Great start!!

Frieda - WOW!!!!!! Your water (and the swan, too of course :) ) looks awesome! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: Aren't you the comedian hand lotion, ice cream :lol: :lol:...hmm...all I have in the house is vanilla....kinda boring:( But is has been -40C all week so I can probably go for a mug of hot chocolate.....but all kidding aside, thanks for the break down on your process. Your simplified break down actually helped me realize how I approached it as well. I kind of did the same thing.

Jay - Hope you are OK? Must have been quite the bug???
:music: Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well :music:
Just be happy you can't hear me sing :lol:

Diane - Yes, I believe I followed the analysis process. I started in the upper left and focused on small areas. So I believe the posterized version was very helpful in a couple ways. I was able to observe the shapes and tones that made up that area and apply those principles throughout the piece and it also really made me observe small areas instead of being overwhelmed by the entire picture. I need to still work on my artistic "reflection" license. I've been reading Mike's book and hopefully picking some things up.:)

My method: I went at the calm water kind of like the clouds.....I shaded everything in, then took my chisel tip eraser and took out the lighter areas and then went over the deeper tones with my 4B and 2H pencils a number of times and then shaded in the highlights a wee bit if I felt they needed it. I don't know if that's how I was supposed to do it....but it sort of worked for me. :confused:

tyree
02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
great start everyone!!! lori...that is exceptionally done..great movement..focus is on the water..but the head of the swan in some detail...scrappie...looks like its coming along wonderfully..thanks for showing the beginning...frieda...most enjoyable reading your outline...you made the project even more interesting...your work shows the focus on the water but enough attention still with the swan..i like the swirliness (is that a word:lol: )of your water also...jay...you must have had a very bad virus to have to go into the hospital...i hope your doing better and taking care of yourself!!! thanks diane...i think i probably will always have some abstract to my work no matter if im trying or not trying!!! but i guess thats some of my own style...tyree:wave:

ElleZee
02-06-2007, 10:32 PM
lori...that is exceptionally done..great movement..focus is on the water..but the head of the swan in some detail.....

Hi Tyree:wave: Thanks for the input...just wondering if you think I have too much focus on the water and not enough on the swan? Or is there something wrong with the swan's head, you think? Always looking for ways to improve :D C & C welcome

Here is my start on assignment #2.......more rocks....hrumph...guess I can't avoid them....must face the challenge :evil: Lori vs. The Rocks - The Main Event.....ding, ding and they're coming out of their corners gloves raised...:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/67205-assign2-nbshore.jpg

scrappie
02-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Frieda - I Like it.:)
Lori - Great :clap:

scrappie
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
update

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/88717-swan2.jpg

dotsart
02-07-2007, 04:31 AM
:eek: I haven't finished my rocks yet, and here you all are rushing down the river already! I can't keep up. Too many horse commissions going on at the moment and all on a tight time schedule!

You are all so good, but will try to catch up.

Anyway, love these tutorials Diane, they are just fantastic, and I will give them my all when I get the chance. I have found 1 or 2 photos for my reference that I think will do the trick. I think this one below might be the choice

Dot

tyree
02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
lori...in my opinion..i think the emphasis should be on the water and reflections as you have it...good bold rocks coming along in your next one...scrappie...it looks wonderful..i like the darker water behind the swan..and the same stoke movement in the front...dot..looks like a great pic to start..!! tyree:wave:

tyree
02-07-2007, 06:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/65063-assign_1_swan.jpg this is my assignment 1...I had the fused photo and the original in front of me..i laid down on smooth bristol the first layer with pitts 4b graphite..then Staedtler F, leaving swan area white...then i turned my drawing and the fused drawing upside down and started doing reflections..and lighter areas in water...back and forth with the soft and hard lead..then darkening in areas..tried to keep focus on the reflection of swan and water movement...i go back and forth also with drawing it upside down...i kept the area dark behind the swan and in the very front of swan for keeping it interesting..yours c and c's are always valued...tyree:wave:

tvandeb
02-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, some really nice ones, so far... I'll load mine, but I put it down to look at it some more , and see what else I need to do to it. Any suggestions????? Like I said doing water intimidates me, so this is my first attempt. Pointers always welcome. Thanks. Take care...:o http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/71359-watertutorialassignment1.jpg

RuthT
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
My, oh my, things are moving quickly. I was away for the weekend at my great nephew's 2nd birthday party, enjoying seeing several relatives I haven't seen for a while. Also have been for various tests at a couple of hospitals, I have just started on assignment 2 rocks, and still have a cloud assignment to put the finishing touches to, but I am going to start on water assignment 1.

Lots of great water drawings posted whilst I have been away.
Lori - nice reflections and ripples, your swan looks right at home in the water. (also like your assignment 2 of the rocks. I've started on mine but it needs more work to get it as polished as yours)
Scrappie - Great work on your update. The rocks in the background are a nice touch :)
frieda - a feeling of lots of action with the water, looks very real.
tyree - a nice soft effect, I like the gentle ripples in the water.
tvanddeb - the post is a bit faint on my screen, but the movement of the water shows up well.

tyree
02-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Hey All.. Took a break from the pencil today!!! everyone once in awhile you have to clean:p tammy jo...I think you did a lovely job...very soft..and a good job showing the ripples!! ruth...hope your tests are going well, and glad you finally got over here..the waters great:lol: back to assignment 2 tomorrow! tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Worked for about 45 minutes on this last night. Had originally thought of putting a grey base down as we did for the clouds, and revealing the lighter parts, but decided to go with pencil lines only. When I came to look at it this morning the white paper was too white so I started to put a layer of grey over it with an F pencil sandpapered down to a wedge shape. I've done the right side and think it is going to be much better. I hope the difference shows - it is most obvious on the opposite sides of the lower part of the swans neck. I have a lot of work to do yet, and may change my technique yet again, but I have to start somewhere :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/3715-water2.jpg

DianeWright
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Dot - I LOVE this photo reference. If fact, I almost used it for this tutorial!! :) I thought it might be too much for a starter project, so decided against it. BUT I would LOVE to see you do this one. And it's on my "MUST DO" drawings as well.

Boat reflections are awesome to study water reflections.

I am just so impressed by everyone's work so far!

Ruth - I most definitely can see the difference in technique. Don't be afraid of using darker tones.

TvanDeb - You have captured the ripples in the water very well. Now start pushing those tones darker and you will see the difference in your drawings!

Tyree - thank you for explaining your techniques. It really helps others understand your process and to understand that there is more than one way to get excellent results! Everyone's interpretation and processes differ and that's okay! You really pushed those darks very well!

Scrappie - beautiful job! That swan is swimming in that water and there is no mistake of the movements. EXCELLENT job! :clap:

Lori - Assignment 2 already??? Gosh you folks are fast!!! Great start. Don't be afraid to push the darks on those rocks.

Diane

tvandeb
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Tyree, thanks for the kind words.
Diane: I redid the swan, added some more darks , I'm not sure it looks okay, looks like I kinda messed it up. I am working on the wave-assignment 2, if I have some time I will redo the swan. :o
Wow, everybody's looks great: Tyree: very nice alot of darks, scrappie wow, pretty good darks and reflections!!! Wish I coud imitate those.:clap:

tvandeb
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
whoops, forgot to loadhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/71359-watertutorialedited2.jpg my picture, sorry.:o

frieda L
02-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Diane, just wondering whether the picture you used for assignment 2 can be found in the image library? The screen on my laptop is not very helpful...
thank you,
frieda

DianeWright
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Frieda - try going to my website

http://www.dianewrightfineart.com/drawing-water-1.htm

At the bottom of the page is a downloadable .pdf file. Hopefully it is more clear. (Or right click on the image on my tutorial and save it to your pc).

If not I can email the larger file to you directly.

Diane

frieda L
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
ty everyone for the comments... and for telling how you did it, ...

scrappie, :clap: your scene is delightful, beautiful reflections, and the darkness of the water behind the swan...
tyree, excellent, such courage to layer the 4b to begin with.. it worked, you got great contrast, your darks are yummy and the swan sparkles!:thumbsup:
Ruth, your swan is attractive :thumbsup: and the water is getting there! Go for it! looking at it from my screen I would say go darker, but my screen is not the best judge, take it with a grain of salt.
Tammy Jo, it's getting there! nice reflections. Did you use the eraser? Are you planning a different background? Maybe rocks?:evil: Good job:clap:

the water is too cold for me right now... cannot decide which one to do.
frieda

Diane, we posted together, thank you for the link, I will jump in now.

tyree
02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
thanks all for lotsa kind comments..ruth...its coming along very nicely..especially the ripples around the back of the swan...tammyjo..the dark you added put an extra pizzazz to your elegant bird...starting on assignment two tonight....:wave: tyree

tyree
02-09-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/65063-assign_2_water_2.jpg well here is assign. 2...i used hb graphite h staedtler and 07 mech pencils on smooth bristol..i laid the whole area with graphite then with h pencil first..the caps and splash were done with electric eraser...i used the first pic in Dianes tutorial..and i dont think i got the correct tonals on my rocks...and the caps in the water are a bit wide...i then kept using the h pencil to darken areas...birds are a bit wonky...:p tyree:wave:

frieda L
02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
tyree! Did you spend the night drawing? @ 5.40 last night you still had to start, at 9:40 this morning it was posted! WOW. You really managed to get the white water splashing!
frieda

RuthT
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Thank you Diane for these terrific lessons :) I have tried to get some darker tones in today's work on the water and swan. I hope to get even darker as I develop the water surrounding the swan. I haven't finished the reflection of its head yet but the daylight is going here. Will wait for better light tomorrow to finish it. Thank you frieda and Tyree, as mentioned above I am trying for darker, I agree it looks better.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/3715-waterswan2.jpg

frieda L
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Ruth, YES! you've got the swan gliding now! Too bad it's getting dark (outside) already, I think you are going in the right direction.
frieda

RuthT
02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I like your waves Tyree , they seem to be moving. Also the splash. The birds look fine to me - maybe they are just looking for food! You must have really fast fingers :D , I've only just started on assignment 2. for the rocks, and still have to put the finishing touches on 2. for the skies. But I think I may have a solution for a catch up in my assignments. I've found a picture that has waves and rocks in it, so if I manage to draw it, it will do for assignments 2. on both the rocks and the water. (If only it had trees I'd be ahead of the game for the Trees lesson:evil: :D ).

Thank you for your encouraging comment frieda :)

RuthT
02-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately I do not face north, so again the daylight is fading at 4.30 p.m.
Decided to post this afternoon's work in case I mess it up putting the final darks in :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/3715-waterswan3.jpg

frieda L
02-10-2007, 05:15 PM
finally got ahead on assignment 2... the hardest part was getting started. I suppose experience will build confidence
Trying to figure out how to do the splash. I suppose negative drawing is the only way, but I do not have the "finger control" or "pencil control" (yet) to draw around all these fine splashes.
Haven't found an electric eraser here, but is that the tool I need to erase small droplets? Is it precise enough?
I cannot post my drawing today, but I wanted to let you know I am still in class... after two days of standing on shore.
frieda

tyree
02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
thanks ruth and frieda for kind words...ruth..its shaping up very nicely..great reflections..frieda..perhaps you could order a catalog from one of the art houses to get your electric eraser...they are quite handy for the droplets and other areas...tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Thank you Tyree :)

This is as finished as it gets. I'm off to tackle assignment 2.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/3715-waterswan8.jpg

cmwynn
02-11-2007, 04:11 PM
After I finished part 1, I looked through this thread and at each image I thought - I should have done that, or this. It does help to see lots of other images to see your own better. I tend to start just lightly drawing in main objects then going from top left to bottom right. I do try to look closely at the reference first, but not sure I really analyze yet. Maybe that will come with practice. As usual, my main object here was to get the darks dark enough for contrast with the swan. That takes several layers and different pencils. Really looking forward to learning about waves and moving water.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/29839-Swan-and-reflectionxm.jpg

scrappie
02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Had a hard getting started on this one. There are some waves but scan
did not pick them up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/88717-ore_coast_2.jpg

tyree
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
ruth...it turned out wonderful..great finish to it...connie...hmmmm darks..they make that water sparkle....scrappie..wow those rocks sure do look great...and yes you can tell its a splash:p tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Thank you for your encouraging comment tyree :) I am now working on assignment 2. The assignments get harder as we go along, so I am not sure when I will have anything to post. I am going for a CATscan of my lungs tomorrow as part of a study I volunteered for. The Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto were looking for ex-smokers (I quit three years ago) for a study on CATscans versus x-rays for detecting lung cancer. Tomorrow is an annual follow-up.

Lovely, delicate work on your rocks scrappie. I can see the splash too, but cannot see any waves on my screen. I'm very much a beginner so not sure my I'm suggesting the right thing to do, but you may have to darken some of the waves in places.

bayside girl
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Great drawings everyone! Looking forward to seeing everyone's assignment 2

Here's my little swan swimming to catch up to the others in the pond.

Connie M

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/97897-swan_5_bw.jpg

Judi1957
02-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey All!:wave: Super wet work!:clap: :clap: I am going to have to catch up again.

Lori! I think this is looking great! I love the rocks too!
Scrappie! Wonderful reflections!
Tyree-Such a beautiful and mystical swan! I love your crashing waves!
Ruth! Absolutly illuminating!
Tammy Jo! Nice start-I thing some more darks in there.
Connie! Lovely piece!

I was away from this trying my hand at oils-:rolleyes: again.:o But had started this on the bristol last week. (Diane-could't resist the duckies) I am not really happy with the value transitions I have here so I am going to go in the assignment #2 and come back to it with anything I learn there that will help out on this one. C & C please if there is something you all think I missed or just messed up on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/37258-duckies1.jpg

tvandeb
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Everybody::wave:
Wow, pretty impressive water... Thanks for the comments Tyree, Frieda, etc.
Here is my assignment 2; I ran out of strathmore bristol, and the store only had this other kind, what a mistake, the paper stratches easily; ugh!!
Hopefully it doesn't show up on my scan, I don't see them. I got Bienfang
smooth bristol, bad stuff.
I used graphite pencils: f, 2h, 4h, and 2b. Used a mars plasitc eraser, kneadleable eraser, blu-tak, and the new electric eraser I got. I had to give my husband his back.:( Its just an inexspensive one, but it worked well.
Please, pointers are helpful, as I am learning. Thanks.
Take care all....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2007/71359-watertutorialassignment2.jpg

frieda L
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
morning all,
Ruth, getting darker contrasts really worked! :clap: You know there is no need to be afraid of going too dark... if you do, rolling a blu-tack sausage over it will gently remove it! You probably all know that, but to me, it was a wonderful discovery I am just starting to explore!:lol:
Connie, very nice, nice darks, also, I think you should get extra points for the reflection of the rocks!:thumbsup:
Scrappie, very nice start... another winner in the works.
bayside girl, your swan is lovely,... in a tranquil pond, nicely done
Judy, WOW! [QUOTE][or just messed up on/QUOTE]... are you kidding? This is gorgeous. The ducklings are adorable, and the water perfect.
Tammy Jo, nice splash! Maybe a little more contrast in the shadows of the rocks?
frieda

frieda L
02-13-2007, 02:21 PM
here is my assignment #2, was not quite as scary as it seemed at first, I am not really satisfied with the splash,... approached it like the clouds, maybe I should put darks in it? (hmmm, now that I see this on paper, that's a dumb question)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/22676-resized.jpg
this bit of Oregon coast looks exactly like a spot here, so I put a pelican in the picture. I had to test my skills at that, the last one I tried (live) looked like a chicken. this one, well,...
frieda

frieda L
02-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I also finished (?) this bit of Baja coast, darkened the rocks and then tried the waves... I just don't know. Is this too busy, confusing?
it was fun, that I know.
thank you Diane, again, for this great class. I am sure we will continue to learn from these few workshops for months and even years to come.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/22676-assignment_2,3_005.jpg
frieda

RuthT
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
:rolleyes: :p :evil: :crying: :D :confused: :envy: :o :eek: :( :mad: I just typed in a longish reply, looked at the preview, AND FORGOT TO PRESS THE POST BUTTON!!!! A-R-G-HHH!!! will start again

Nice work Connie M. From the look of the waves and ripples your swan is making good time and will soon catch up :) . The ducklings are lovely Judi, they look so soft and downy. The swell of your waves is making me feel seasick :D - very realistic. Great work on the splash Tammy Jo. I love your rocks frieda and the pelican is sweet. Perhaps the top of the spray is too even for the way water splashes out. Your Baja coast is fabulous, one of the nice touches being the way you have drawn the water dividing to go round the sides of the rock in the upper right.

If the promised snow storm does not happen tonight I will go shopping tomorrow for an electric eraser - my assignment 2. has a lot of spray in it!

tyree
02-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I think everyones doing a wonderful job with Dianes tutorial..thanks again Diane..!!! connie m. ...a nice flow to the water..and great darks behind the swan..it accents the swan beautifully...judi...wow..soooo realistic!!! great ripples..good darks and lights..and aint those duckies cute:p !!!! tammy jo...glad you got your electric eraser!!! looks like it worked because you have a terrific back splash !!! some good dark to your rocks also....frieda...the water has great movement..nice values in those rocks..and i love your pelican for an extra bonus to the drawing...the baja coast drawing shows wonderful:clap: show of depth...not confusing at all..really great work on it..impressive....ruth...whats snow ???:lol: :lol: :p :evil: tyree in the sunshine state....:D

scrappie
02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Assignment #2 update.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2007/88717-ore_coast_3.jpg

scrappie
02-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Judi Love the ducks nice job
Frieda like the rugged look of your rocks.
Tvandeb Nice looking splash on the rocks.

tyree
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
scrappie...now that water shimmers!!!! nice darks too...great work!!!!! tyree:clap: :thumbsup:

frieda L
02-14-2007, 12:05 AM
scrappie, you've got foam!!! :clap: :thumbsup: Great job! Not only do you have foam, you have lots of it, all fluffy and white. Also, the reflection of the light on the water..., and besides the foam and the reflection, you have water showing too!!!
How did you do it? did it take you forever to get the details in the water?
Excellent. I admire! I tried creating foam for the last two days... haven't figured it out yet.

thank you Tyree, Ruth and Scrappie, for the nice comments and tips.
frieda

Striver
02-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi all, my your all going strong and now it's water. Have missed contributing but hopefully can make a hiss and a roar next week on.
Diane, apologies for not continuing, been ill for a few months and had to miss out on art. Still tinks I can make an effort shortly.
Well done all, but prepare to move over, Les is coming, now if i do one with Clouds, Rocks and water will that count. Hmm.
See you later
Enjoy
Les

tvandeb
02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh my gosh, you all have some neat variations to water. Connie: I really like how your swan and water came out, alot of dark, I need to work on that. Frieda, i like your rocks, now I see what you mean about the light and dark exchange, taught me something. Tyree, wow, nice progress; I like your results on the splash; cool! Take care...:clap: :clap: :clap:

tvandeb
02-14-2007, 11:53 AM
CON'tD.

Scrappie: I like your splash, and the tones, nice!

Judy: Awww, I like the baby ducklings, are so cute.. I like how you did the tones, I still need to work on that...

Bayside girl: Nice reflections smooth flow of water, Nice!

Lori: Soft look to your water mixed with rough, like your rock, Nice!

Ruth: Nice reflections and movement with the water, Nice!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RuthT
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL tyree - no teasing from down south please! :D We did get high winds and a lot of snow (in fact, it is still snowing as I look out of my window). I will not be getting an electric eraser today :( Beautiful update scrappie. Your foam and waves are looking good. Welcome back Les, pleased to hear you are feeling better.
if i do one with Clouds, Rocks and water will that count.
I never did finish assignment 2 for the rocks. Assignment 2 for water has a lot of rocks in it, so I plan to count it for both. I say go for the three in one :D

frieda L
02-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Les, we are saving you a spot in the first row...just come and play.

I reworked the splash, to get some of that elusive foam, ...
aren't clouds and rocks easy, compared to this?
frieda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/22676-assignment_2,3.jpg

scrappie
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Frieda great job :thumbsup:

Judi1957
02-14-2007, 07:45 PM
I think everyone is doning such a fantastic job with assignment No 2!

Frieda, ty, I think your Baja coast is looking grand! And your spashes-are simply splashing!:clap: :clap:

Ruth, ty, I hate that when that happens-I always tell myself I will do it in a word document and copy and paste-but alas-I have still cursed a few times when I forgot to submit after all that typing and thinking-or WC has a hic-up.:crying:

Susan, ty!:)

Scrappie, ty. Wow-your rocks look like they have been smoothed for eons by the crashing of the waves. :clap: :clap:

Les!:wave: I am soooo sorry you were ill! Glad you are back!:clap: :clap:

Tammy Jo, ty.:)

Worked on the rocks last night. Still need to do some tweaking there and hope to have the water done tonight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2007/37258-assignment_2.jpg

tyree
02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
frieda...nice bold solid rocks and good slashing waves!!!! judi...how did you get your rocks to look like they are wet:p now thats very impressive...great froth too!!!! :)

jasminerose
02-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi jasmine from australia is it too late too start and join this group for water drawing ? thankyou .

Judi1957
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi Jasmine!:wave: Welcome and jump right in! :) The more the merrier!

jasminerose
02-15-2007, 10:53 PM
ok thankyou . I am very new and not good at all , how do you get the computer too stay still without going off into sleep mode while drawing ?

Judi1957
02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
If it does that Jasmine you just need to jiggle/move the mouse.
You don't need to be on-line when you draw though.:)

jasminerose
02-15-2007, 11:10 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2007/97398-swan_class_one.jpg :confused: Here goes,

jasminerose
02-15-2007, 11:17 PM
its really hot here we have a heat wave , all this talk about water is making me want too go too the beach for a swim . ill do the rocks tomorow , jasmine

scrappie
02-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Calling it done.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/88717-ore_coast_4.jpg

Judi1957
02-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Jasmine-Enjoy your swim! You deserve it.:clap: I think you did a great job on the water and the swan's reflection.! (It's 3 degree's above zero here:crying: Br-r-r-r-r).

Scrappie-Wow did that turn out fab! I love the waves and your splash!!:clap::thumbsup: :clap:

Striver
02-16-2007, 01:55 AM
frieda, I could take a shower with those splashes, Judy i can feel the surge of that swell.
Got some paper ready, the subject and pencils awaiting but still a bit armless so to speak.
Burning up for the go
Cheers
Les

tyree
02-16-2007, 09:09 AM
welcome jasmine...terrific darks..and nice lookin' start on the ripples of the water!!! scrappie...excellent!!! what a great finish..!!!! les...good luck get started..its a wee tricky:p ...!!! Well its not going to get out of the sixties here today...soooo..time to start assignment 3 or maybe touch up assignment 2...!!!! tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi all:) Your spray is looking nice and foamy frieda and your rocks are great. I find clouds easier than this, but rocks are still my biggest stumbling block. I like all the lovely different tones in your rocks Judi, makes them look very three dimensional. Welcome to our drawing class Jasmine Very nice reflections on your first post. Lovely work scrappie, I see so many advances in this work since you first posted it.

bayside girl
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone,
Frieda... you have really captured the splash on the rocks,
Judi...... I like your contrasts on the rocks and you have a good start on the waves
Jasminerose...... Welcome , a great start on the water and reflections.
Scrappie........Nicely done. I like your waves and splash.

and here's my assignment 2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/97897-oregon_coast_3.jpg

cmwynn
02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I really enjoyed this. I think I am finally getting enough darks, after how many years? Now the contrast shows features much better. I have looked through a lot of my own photos and have several choices for the next part of the lesson.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2007/29839-Coast-wavesxm.jpg

jasminerose
02-17-2007, 04:19 AM
Here is my second lesson . its not very good had real problems with the rocks and the splashes , mind you its over 40 degres in this room so I rushed it . heat wave thanks from jasmine:wave:

jasminerose
02-17-2007, 01:56 PM
hope this works this time had trouble getting it too attach. jasmine:wave:

jasminerose
02-17-2007, 02:00 PM
dont know why but its gone into a small picture now ? can you see it ok? thanks jasmine. this was a challenging one . now for the next one today .

jasminerose
02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2007/97398-seagulls_jasmine.jpg hope this is bigger . jasmine

jasminerose
02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
as you see I had a lot of problems with my water how do you do it so realistic ? please give me some tips guys thanks from jasmine .

DianeWright
02-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Everyone!!

I can't believe it's been a week since I've posted and look at all the fantastic work that is being done!! Sorry for my absence....long work week syndrome and I've been working on a drawing for another book! I will announce more on my website as it develops.

Well...let's see what everyone has been doing??

Back to post #48 - Tyree - nice waves. You have a solid understanding of tones and how to balance them nicely in a composition!! Remember my tutorial is only there to get you started....your style is shining through and I love it!

Ruth - great swan and the darks are really helping. Once you start using those darker tones, you will begin to see things really come to life on paper! And Frieda is right....this swan is 'gliding' beautifully!!

Connie - nice job on the waves and swan reflection.

Connie M - Nice start....might I suggest working those ripples a little bit more. Smoothing out the graphite on the left side of the ripple will help them flow a little more.

Judi - what can I say??? The ripples and ducklings are gorgeous! :clap: I love how you left sections blank as well. Nice strong composition. Nice strong drawing!!

Tammy Jo - nice splash. Working with different paper adds it's own issues doesn't it? Nice job though!!!

Frieda - Love the pelican!!! And you are doing awesome!!! Love the finish of your other drawing of rocks too!!! :clap:

Scrappie - Doing great with the darks and foammy water!!!

DianeWright
02-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Judi - love your water - you captured that difficult wave as it scoops under that rock in the water. Nice....

Jasmine - nice job on the swan - if I can make one suggestion, watch the direction of your pencil strokes. The vertical strokes around the swan's neck in the water should be softened and more horizontal strokes emphasized. This allows the water to sit behind the swan.

Scrappie - you got an awesome wave in that water with some white caps!!! :clap:

Bayside girl - you have achieved great tones in this drawing as well as beautiful textures. Between the nice sky, roughly textured rocks and waves in the water, very very nicely done!!! :clap:

Connie - you've gone to the dark side....wonderful contrasts between the rocks and the splash! :clap:

Jasmine - You have nice dark rocks too! Spendid job!!

Diane

10fingers
02-17-2007, 11:29 PM
great help. this is a hard subject to draw

tazzers2007
02-18-2007, 02:40 AM
Great work everyone,good effort put forth. I will be drawing soon.

jasminerose
02-18-2007, 08:06 PM
thankyou diane for your tips . I will remember that next time .Its great too have free lessons on the web , thanks jasmine

RuthT
02-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi All - The art store nearest to me did not have an electric eraser in stock when I went there this afternoon, so I have decided to work on my assignment 2 with the erasers I have and hope for the best. I figure I am about a third of the way through my work on this piece, but decided to post what I have done so far. It is from a lovely photograph in the RIL by ArtistGary - with the terrific title "Crescendo" There are so many rocks in it that I'm hoping this drawing will count as assignment 2 for the rocks lesson also (if I ever get them all drawn :D ) The original photograph was in color.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2007/3715-wavescrescendoArtistGary.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2007/3715-waterassgn2no1.jpg
(Something on the scanner glass has made a mark, but fortunately it is not on the drawing}

tyree
02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
ruth...what a terrific start...great values going on...i was also thinking about doing this piece...its so explosive looking!!! tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Thank you tyree :) Yes, it is very explosive and dramatic. Now that the two are posted next to one another I can see that I will have to go darker on ALL my darks, the sea in particular - I'll have to get extra long pencils to last through this one, lol.

DianeWright
02-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Ruth,

That is a beautiful reference photo! And it might just be one of them Judi selected for the review class! Brilliant minds think alike!!!

As far as the battery operated eraser, try Office Max, Staples, Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They seem to carry them.

You can definitely draw without one too. You just have to work a bit more carefully to 'save' those lighter areas.

BTW - Great start!

Diane

Striver
02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi all, just a quick browse. Have made a start but am restricted at the moment, still the rocks are on the way. Had hoped to post this week but hopefully will be next week now. Family problems also have arrived taking my time.
Great work going on and Ruth, that is a Fab start keep it going
Les

frieda L
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
thanks all, for your comments, very much appreciated!
Lots of work has been done in the last few days...

jasminerose, very nice contrasts!
scrappie, that is beautiful, has a nice, finished quality to it! A keeper!
bayside girl, good waves! rough water! Youcan hear the splash!
Connie, love your rocks, you got them down pat! contrast, shape...
Ruth, that is a wonderful start for a great picture! If a good start is half the work... you're almost done!
I tockled the water on the scene I started in the rock class... Should the water be a lot darker? Maybe should I do the "grass" first, or can we pretend it is snow?

Les, hope you can join us soon...
Diane, thank you for the valuable comments to everyone's work! We all learn from all the comments, incredible! This is not possible in a regular class environment!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/22676-exercise_001.jpg
frieda

frieda L
02-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Seeing it posted on wet canvas, I was,nt happy with this landscape at all, bland... so I grabbed for the dark pencils... can you tell? still unheard-of-snowy for the Baja...:lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/22676-exercise.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/22676-22676-new.jpg

Something is wrong... don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. Was this picture, with the brambly mess of desert brush worth starting? It's got no "zip" to it.
Anyway, I learned lots, so all is good. Thank you for looking.

frieda

frieda L
02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Just for fun - sorry, don't mean to be hogging the thread - a little posterized version, greyscale... this one does have something to it, makes me feel like drawing it.:rolleyes:
should have looked at this one every now and then.:(
friedahttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2007/22676-22676-posterized.jpg

RuthT
02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
Thank you Diane, Les, and frieda for your encouragement. Thank you also Diane for the info. on places that carry electric erasers :) I'm not sure what "the review class" is (did I miss reading something in the thread? :confused: ) but if it means drawing this photo twice I would like that, the more I look at it the more I like it.
I believe it takes quite a while for rocks to erode Les :D :D so don't feel pressured, they are not going anywhere. If you need any positive vibes going your way, consider them sent :)
Ah frieda! :) I had the greatest fun reading your posts one by one. For your first post I was going to say that I thought something should be dark but I did not think it was the water. On the next post I was going to say I could see the difference, but was going to suggest greyscale so that you could tell where the darks should be. The original has the most contrast between light and dark at the front and less contrast at the rear. I had to laugh when I saw that your next post was the greyscale. It really shows the greater contrast at the front, and the lightish water at the back harmonizing with the light parts in the front of the scene. I think your technique is lovely, it's just a matter of getting the balance between the different tones, and where they are putting the emphasis in the drawing.

RuthT
02-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Just been for a ramble round the site and saw the new post in the Classroom. I now know what the reviews are about Diane :) Going back to look at them all.

Striver
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Frieda, you are on the way, have you done a tonal greyscale card to check as you go along? Dark against light as they say, look for it.
Cheers Ruth, vibes gratefully received and needed. left arm etc all strapped up now to see if it makes any differrence. Very hoy today, sweaty and uncomfortable.
See you later and keep em coming.
Les

tyree
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
hey all...les..will be looking forward to seeing your work again..take care:heart: ..frieda..lol..your work is coming along very nicely:wink2: ..snow and all:pyour taking your time on this and thats great..i have a tendency to rush..not sure why... ruth and everyone ..have you all seen the review thread of dianes??? and which one is everyone doing??? tyree:wave:

jasminerose
02-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Hi all here is my 3rd assngment . thanks for your coments jasmine:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/97398-water_assngment_3.jpg

Striver
02-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Jasmin, well you made me smile, nicepeaceful one, pelican and old steamer, well done.
Time for bed, better day tomorrow of course.
Les

jasminerose
02-22-2007, 03:15 AM
well thankyou striver its taken on kangaroo island you know it ?

jasminerose
02-22-2007, 03:30 AM
here is one I did taken on kangaroo island also they are black swans not too happy with this one . jasmine:)

Striver
02-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Jasminerose
Aussie land if I recall, dont think I visited it when over there.
Can feel the Swans causing the ripples, altho piccy a bit small I couldnt enlarge.
Les

DianeWright
02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure what "the review class" is (did I miss reading something in the thread?

Ruth - we have a new thread in the Classroom called Basic 102: Class 9, 10 & 11 Review

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403343

Diane

frieda L
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM
jasminerose, nice work, boats and all... has a nice vacation-y feel to it.
tyree, ty, it will be hard to pick the next one, I love the one Ruth is doing

Ruth, thank you for helping me see my picture,
greater contrast at the front, and the lightish water at the back harmonizing with the light parts in the front of the scene
I hadn't quite realized that!

Les, thanks for reminding me about that greyscale card, I suppose that is what I made it for... It helped me right away!
Hope you're feeling better soon, If we all visualize your pain going away... I bet it will work!

if you guys can stand to see this once more, I promise to not bring it back until I figure out how to do the grassy part... maybe after the tree class...
I think I should maybe make a copy or two of it, and then experiment away...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/22676-exercise_007.jpg

One thing I realize (duh,) is that it is ( must be, I mean) really worth going dark enough in the first round, rather than adding them later bit by bit. You really have to redraw and rethink and put all the details in over and over again. Hah! This is a breakthrough!!!:lol:
frieda

DianeWright
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
One thing I realize (duh,) is that it is ( must be, I mean) really worth going dark enough in the first round, rather than adding them later bit by bit. You really have to redraw and rethink and put all the details in over and over again. Hah! This is a breakthrough!!!

Good comment Frieda! This is VERY TRUE!!! Always try and capture the value on the first pencil stroke. It's much harder than you think (at least for me!). But it allows your drawing to stay much more "fresh" and not overworked AND makes you question the pencil strokes "BEFORE" you put them down.

Diane

BTW - You are doing an excellent job on this!!

tyree
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
diane and frieda...those are such good points..i have a time overworking mine somedays..i think im going to review that tutorial mike sibley did basic 102 class 7 negative drawing...and btw frieda...post as often as you want..it helps seeing things you miss while at your drawing area:wink2: tyree:wave:

cmwynn
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
For part 3 of the assignment, I chose a photo I took a few years ago of a stream near where I lived. It was more challenging than I thought. I didn't finish so much as just stop before I went crazy. I am not good at negative drawing. I am starting with the photo, taken from the bridge, where the smooth part of the water is about 6 feet across. I cropped out the part where the water is rushing over some rocks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/29839-Stream2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/29839-Rocks-in-Creekxm.jpg

tyree
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/65063-waterfall_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2007/65063-waterfall_original.jpg im working on rock/water...having a time with the waterfall..and im going back and review dianes..class on rock again..i shortened the cave entrance ..maybe i shouldnt have?? .this was from a pic from the review class..should i have posted there?? any c and c's are wanted and needed:p tyree:wave:

tyree
02-22-2007, 04:36 PM
connie...wow..i wouldnt have even known where to start on that picture...could you have picked a harder one:p :lol: i think your work is getting darker and darker..am i right...??? terrific work:thumbsup: tyree

RuthT
02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the heads up Diane :) Glad I could be of help frieda, another point of view is often helpful to me too. I seem to be thinking along the same lines as you, with my latest assignment I started out much darker than I usually do. Tyree, you and I must like the same pictures, I had chosen the cave photograph for the assignment to work on next. (The one I am doing now that you like, is one of the review photographs) Your work looks very soft and pretty, almost like a watercolour or a pen and ink wash, but with plenty of darks in it too.

I think this pause before the Trees lesson is a good idea. It gives us time to go over what we have learned so far, and do a little experimenting, and maybe catch up on assignments we did not quite finish. - After the cave photo I have a couple more picked out that I would like to try :D

frieda L
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Connie!, you picked the hardest part of a hard picture!, and some of that brambly brush that I do not even want to start on! hats off for even starting this. Doing a good job, too. I also love the mystical water creatures you've got bathing in there!
Tyree, very nice. I spent most of the day trying to decide which one to do next, whereas you just went for it! Looking good. I think you are putting in good values, you have the darkness of the tunnel, the swiftness of the water, roughness of the stones, I love the leaves you have so far... you are on the right track, as far as I can see.

jasminerose
02-23-2007, 02:35 AM
yes I dont know what happened there . it wouldnt go bigger. hope your feeling better mate jasmine:)for les

tyree
02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/65063-waterfall_3.jpg i worked on this some more..any suggestions for the waterfall Diane will be greatly appreciated...!! im going to darken more the rock areas..clean it up..and put more value definition of the foilage...any c and c's will be most appreciated...think ill go ahead and call this assign 3!:p thanks ...tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
A very beautiful interpretation of the original reference tyree. Well done :)

RuthT
02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
I think I'm about halfway through assignment 2. I darkened the water, the flat tops of some of the rocks, and the water at the bottom of the spray, and without touching the spray it seemed much whiter - which was what I was hoping for. Now I'm hoping for a miracle to finish all the detail work :D :evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/3715-waterassgn2no1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/3715-waterassgn2no4.jpg

scrappie
02-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Tyree, Incredible water flow.:clap: :thumbsup:

scrappie
02-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Ruth, great spray wonderful.:clap: :thumbsup:

tyree
02-24-2007, 01:51 PM
ruth...that splash is so strong!!! great treatment with the values on the rocks...you did wonderful on this:clap: :clap: :clap: tyree...still working on my darks on mine....thanks all for encouragment!!

bayside girl
02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Everyone, For assignment 3, I picked a photo from a vacation trip we made a few years ago. I loved the reflections in the water. Hope I captured it. And now on to the review lesson.... which one to choose......... you have good choices Judy, thanks for going through the references images for us.

Connie M

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2007/97897-peggys_cove_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2007/97897-peggys_cove.jpg

tyree
02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
what a beautiful job...those reflections are wonderful...great tonals ..and a good job on the sky!!! tyree:clap: :clap:

RuthT
02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank you scrappieand tyree for your nice comments :)
Connie M you have done a beautiful job on your vacation photograph. The clouds, the water, and the buildings are all great. It looks like a framer to me!

RuthT
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm still working on the details. Still not happy with the lower left corner. I've erased some of the graphite there, and will re-work it again tomorrow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2007/3715-waterassgn2no6.jpg

frieda L
02-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Connie M, very nice. You got the reflections beautifully! Very pleasant to look at!
Ruth, incredible splash! That one will need a frame as well!
frieda

tyree
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2007/65063-waterfall_4.jpg more darks...still not sure about bottom flow of falls and need to work on rock more...tyree:wave:

frieda L
02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
tyree, this is evolving very nicely! As you are working on the rocks ( very nice arch) and leaves, the water is turning out just fine! it is worth the many hours you are putting into this.
frieda

jasminerose
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
wow bayside girl thats fantastic work !how long did it take you ? how long have you been drawing ? Ruth your spashes are wonderful how do you do the water like that ? im having problems with my water splashes just cant get them right. it works ok with watercolur but doing it on drawing is diffrent because you need too use a rubber too get it wite. jasime

jasminerose
02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
great picture tiyer you have got it really good,jasmine

tyree
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks all for kind comments...i worked a little on it tonight..but im at the point of what am i suppose to do next:eek: :confused: :p i may just leave it ...ruth ...how is your re-work??? tyree:wave:

RuthT
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Don't know what went wrong, but I lost my post. Will start again.
Thank you for your kind comments everyone :)
I thought your falls were beautiful before tyree, but they are even more beautiful now. The darks really do help don't they ? It gives the feeling that you enjoyed working on it.
I spent most of yesterday at the hospital undergoing a four hour stress test - and the rest of the day recovering from it :D - so I didn't get much reworking done. I did an hour on it today and am happier with it, but I would still like it to look more polished. I've started work on assignment 3, as a break from all those rocks. It is chosen from the review photographs, but I haven't got enough done to post it yet.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2007/3715-waterassgn2n07.jpg

tyree
02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
ruth...it sure is a wonderful job youve done on this..i wouldnt know what else to polish:p get some rest..dont overdo!!! doctor tyree:evil: :wave:

RuthT
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Thank you Dr.tyree :)
I've tweaked it a bit more but I think this is as far as I can go. I'm also posting a crop of it that I think is rather nice - it gets rid of most of the weak bits :evil: :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn2no11.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn2no12.jpg

tyree
03-02-2007, 08:59 PM
ruth...i think its a beautiful job....and i really believe that i like it before the crop..something about that dark rock leading up to the splash...great work!!! tyree:wink2:

DianeWright
03-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Connie - what a challenge! But you did an excellent job. It really shows that you were concentrating on really exploring the textures of each element.

Tyree - I really love your drawing! Everything about it is just wonderful...the soft edging and the flow of the water with just a few hints of foliage. The shortening of the entrance is subtle but effective. Your waterfall looks just fine...I don't have any particular suggestions. Just remember to concentrate on the spaces and shadows between the water (negative drawing) streams. By doing so, the water 'draws' itself.

Diane

DianeWright
03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Ruth - You finished before I even got a chance to comment on your steps!!! (Sorry I'm late for class). I really like your cropping and that is all part of the creative process...

The splash is excellent and your rocks are solid. What a great finish!!!

DianeWright
03-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Connie M - What a beautiful, restive scene! You have captured the reflections wonderfully. They don't overpower the scene and provide enough clues to emphasize the stillness of the water. EXCELLENT JOB!!

RuthT
03-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you for your comments tyree and Diane. I noticed the dramatic line of dark rocks leading to the splash in ArtistGary's photograph right away, it is part of its great composition. My dilemma is whether to sacrifice this drama to make my drawing look better as a whole, or keep my less skillful parts of drawing in order to keep the drama. Not a decision I have to make in a hurry though :) so I will relax and go on to assignment 3.

Here is the start of it. I know the diagonal wave looks like a wall at the moment, but I don't want to soften it at this stage, I'm going to try put other darks in to match it and thus make it less prominent.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn3no3.jpg

frieda L
03-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Ruth, :clap: :clap: very nice finish on the splash!, the rocks are great, the background water and the splash so powerful!
The next one is off to a great start, very very nice!:thumbsup:
frieda.

tyree
03-03-2007, 03:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2007/65063-waterfall_5.jpg this is the crop ive decided on..worked on the darks between the streams...left top of drawing slightly vague for effect...think ill call it done:) thank you diane..for kind comments and critiques...tyree

RuthT
03-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Thank you frieda :) I think the water is more difficult than the skies, but I'm beginning to enjoy working on it as much as I liked the clouds. I'm also looking forward to working on trees, and hope to see you there!

Lovely work tyree. I think the vague effect really helps to show off the beautiful water and leaves. Hope I'll see you among the trees too!

DianeWright
03-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Ruth - what a wonderful start. I have to say that I am so impressed by these waves. I can just feel the flow and rush of water.

Trees....now that's my favorite subject... we'll be getting to them in just a couple of weeks. And then watch out folks...you guys are going to rule in creating landscapes!!! :thumbsup:

Diane

Judi1957
03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Connie M- That is lovely! You have done a great job and lthe perspective of the builings looks pretty good!:clap: :clap:

Ruth-I have to say that is looking quite impressive too! And so is your splash!!!!:clap: :clap:

Susan-I love it! That crop is divine! Loving the stonework and the fading you did there as well!:clap: :clap:

RuthT
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you Diane and Judi for your encouraging comments. I was a bit daunted by the idea of drawing water at first, but am beginning to enjoy it now :cool:

RuthT
03-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm still working on a review assignment. The tide is coming in rapidly :) I still want to put some more darks in it, but need time to think about where they should go. I'm tempted to use an 8B to achieve them and trust it will blend in with the rest.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn3no4.jpg

DianeWright
03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Ruth,

It's looking wonderful! If you find that the 8B creates too grainy of a texture, you can apply a harder lead (2H or 4H) on top. This will smooth out the graininess and create a rich even tone.

Diane

RuthT
03-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Thank you for your advice Diane :) I'm using Arches hot pressed for this one, so am going to practice with this information and a spare piece of paper to see whether the 2H or 4H [or possibly any other H :) :) ]works best.

tvandeb
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
sorry Diane, this is a little late..
This is my assignment 3, I loaded the reference also. Thanks, take care....
Oh,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2007/71359-referencephotoassinment3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2007/71359-classroomassinment3graphiterocksandwater.jpg done on canson recycled paper 140lb, graphite pencil; 2b, f, 2h, 4h, and hb. Blu-tak, and kneadable eraser, and electric eraser. Thanks...

tyree
03-08-2007, 02:26 PM
ruth...ive been using my 4h for blending..learned it from diane:thumbsup: and its really amazing..i really love that wave at the top of the drawing..has such strength!!! tammy ..i really like this one..especially the rocks under the splash..how youve made them lighter in tone..good job...tyree:wave:

RuthT
03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Thank you for your comments tyree and for telling me about using 4H for blending :) I followed Diane's advice in trying the 2H, but then tried the 3H and quite liked it. But since you liked the 4H, I will follow the other part of Diane's advice and try that too. Nice work tvanddeb, the waves are really splashing over the stones :)

jasminerose
03-12-2007, 12:15 AM
WHat is a 4h and do you think I should go out and bye one? thanks guys jasmine

tyree
03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
jasmine...its a very handy pencil to have around...i never used one until Diane said that it was good to smooth out your work...if your near an art store Jasmine...see if you can get one!!! tyree:wave:

DianeWright
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
And if you are looking for a really light smooth tone....try 6H over a softer lead. But make sure the tip is flat otherwise you might be incise your paper. :cat:

Diane

RuthT
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi All:) This is the final on my first review photo. I finally got out to get an electric eraser. It is not at all what I thought it would be, and although I've used it in this one, I think I'd be very selective where I used it in the future.
I've started this second review photo and will see how much I get done before "tree time". I think its dark, ominous atmosphere will be quite a challenge. Its name also called to me because it's my name too :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn3no6.jpg
Smith's Falls review photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn4smithorig
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2007/3715-waterassgn4no2.jpg

DianeWright
03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Ruth,

You have said it very nicely. Use of the battery operated eraser very selectively and sparingly. It is a tool that works well specific cases but overuse should be avoided. I like to use it just to dab in highlights. You can also use it on sandpaper to get a nice fine point on the end too.

I would recommend lightly going over some of those electric squiggles with some graphite to break up those lines. You could almost eliminate much of the it and leave just a few highlights!

Nice start on your waterfall!!!

Diane

RuthT
03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Thank you for your kind and helpful advice Diane :) I started to add more graphite, but unfortunately family and medical problems overtook me :D so I have not had time to complete the reworking. Rather than get behind on the trees, I think I will finish my "water" assignments later. Looking forward to our lesson on Monday,

DianeWright
03-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Ruth, you are most welcomed. That's what is so great about these classes, you can take them at your own pace or mix 'em....see you in the next class.

Diane

bigspender
04-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Diane Me again:wave: a new beginner in this class

I've just started the water exercises and here is the first smaller dimentioned sketch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2007/42957-Water_1a.jpg

it needs to be darker around the front of the swan, but decided to wait as my hubby mentioned the the front looks more like a great wave, instead of a flat surface how can I change that or can I at this point??? and will darkening it help at all???

Peggy

ps: haven't had a chance to view the rest of the pages did the exercises from my downloaded lessons. Will be viewing over the weekend

peg

newkidontheblock
07-22-2012, 01:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2012/500681-swan-in-water.gif
Well I think it is a hard act to follow, looking at all the previous work, but I have given it a go.
First I put in the darks with a 6B very sparingly, then did the rocks as per last session (I think these are an improvement too), then worked on the swan using 4H -H, then onto the water using 2H through to B. Used my blu tack to get highlights. Tried to work from Black and white and posterized version. Found this very hard. NO wonder I have balked at doing water and reflections before, but I did actually enjoy this. Tried to do Mike Sibley's suggestion of a white line between rocks and the water to show the water's edge. I know the swan's shape isnt correct, but tried to make the reflections the focal point.
Thanks, Lyn

arnoud3272
07-24-2012, 03:43 AM
Well done Lyn, very nice drawing :clap::clap:. The reflections are very convincing.
Keep up the good work :thumbsup:.

newkidontheblock
07-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Thanks Arnoud. Now to try assignment 2. Lyn

newkidontheblock
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2012/500681-surf.gif
Here's my first attempt at surf. Not convinced that it looks right though, but I still struggle with the rocks. Any suggestions to make the water more believable?
If I wanted to keep this drawing, rather than justas a practise, would you suggest adding clouds maybe whispy ones?
Thanks, Lyn

arnoud3272
07-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Lyn - Nice job, well done :clap::clap:.
There could be more contrast, but I guess that is a photo issue. As you can see, I've cranked it up a bit.
The big splash is very well rendered, but the solid water part leading up to it is not really convincing. It flows rather like in a mountain river, following the slope downwards. But when crashing on the shore it is because the bottom slopes up. So there is first a building up of energy. See:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2012/142886-lyn-surf.jpg

As you can see, Diane has given some more accent to this dynamic by exaggerating the surf on the far shore.

Clouds will certainly complete the picture :thumbsup:. The choice of type of clouds can change the mood of the picture: nice fine weather, overcast, or pending storm. It also depends on what you want to be the focus of interest. Large thunderclouds will pull the attention away from the water.

:wave:

newkidontheblock
08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks so much Arnoud. Once you pointed out the error of the slope of that water leading up to its crash, I could see it clearly. Thankyou.

newkidontheblock
08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Well here is my assignment 3 taken at Rainbow Beach Qld last year. Gosh I found this hard, especially the water up close. I found it difficult to work out what should be darker or even lighter, despite converting to posterise.

Tried to leave the white of the paper for the lightest whites in the sand on dunes as well as tips on waves. Please give suggestions on ways to make this look better as I have spent quite a number of hours on this but disappointed in its outcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/500681-beach_to_uploadjpeg.gif
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2012/500681-Rainbow-Beach_to_upload.gif

Thanks in anticipation, Lyn

arnoud3272
08-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Lyn - Good job :clap:.
First of all, the water is nicely rendered, what is the subject of this class :thumbsup:.
Posterizing is a good help in getting grips on a composition, but for accurate copying it is more useful to convert to grayscale, as I have done. Then you see that the beach and the calm water are better not left as light.
I think the main reason of the dissatisfaction is not the rendering, but the underlying structure. The foot of the dunes seem to lie on the horizon in the photo, but much closer in your drawing. Likewise the line of the calm water on the beach looks much closer. That does not correspond with the distance to the line between the surf and the calm water. Unconsciously we have the feeling to look from two points at the same time - disturbing :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2012/142886-lyn-beach.jpg

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

newkidontheblock
08-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks Arnoud for that feedback. I always seem to be a slave to photos so I thought I would do something slightly different for a change, but it has backfired on me. Anyway will have a go at adjusting a few things as you indicated and see how that goes.
Thanks, Lyn