PDA

View Full Version : Yellow

dreamz
02-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Ok this is just the working title so I have a name for the picture file:lol: I am going to attempt to redo a painting I did on canvas board on a stretched canvas, it's also larger @ 16x20 than the original 16x14.

To start with though, I picked up this set of paints at ACMoore the other day for $5.us, more to fill up the gift card credit than anything else.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_003.jpg
Oddly enough they STINK! I mean odor wise.. peeeeeeee u! They smell kind of like garlic and onions with cooked cabbage but the paint itself is rather creamy.

Any way, i started out with gesso and for the final coat added in some winsor&newton cad yellow light, then dabbed on a bit of cad yellow medium and some t.white, then a bit of the lemon yellow and yellow ochre from the new set, with a lot of dry brushing in between. The orange is a bit to dark but its just at the beginning so...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_008.jpg

Not the best photo but it gives the idea I believe

rmc
02-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Interesting - is this the start of a wip?????
Good luck with the smell - you made me laugh!

Leslie Pz
02-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Maybe it's because I've had a bit of wine but..... I am confused. Are you painting the acrylic box (I understand you just bought it) or are you painting something else?

I am sorry for being so dense!

idcrisis55
02-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I see the beginning of a yellow landscape. Aren't those clouds?

dreamz
02-04-2007, 07:55 PM
LMAO... no Im not painting the box, altough that might be a good idea for a later work. Ann hit it on the head, Im attempting to recreate another landscape I did with yellow sky and water, if you go to the link below "sun drenched" is on the 1st page

Tazart
02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Oddly enough they STINK! I mean odor wise.. peeeeeeee u! They smell kind of like garlic and onions with cooked cabbage but the paint itself is rather creamy

:lol: LOL !!! Mind you for $5.00 you can't really go wrong, maybe they would be good for plein air as they look quite compact & you wouldn't notice the smell so much ??!!

Looking forward to watching this new landscape develop :)

dreamz
02-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks Taz, juries still out on how well the paints work..

anyway... worked on the clouds a bit and laid in some land mass, its kind of light but may work

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_010.jpg

Next comes some trees, there's actually more variation in the greens than shows up in the photo... maybe I need different lighting..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_014.jpg

Need to add in some grasses and maybe a bit of color in the over growth

dreamz
02-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Ok, I'm not sure if this finished but I think I am for the evening, I changed the position where the photo is taken but I don't think it helped much..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_d_008.jpg
and a couple of close ups
this one gives a fairly good view of the clouds

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_d_001.jpg

and this one shows the foreground foliage a bit better
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_d_005.jpg
still a little dark, I'll try for a better photo tomorrow weather permitting

objectivistartist
02-05-2007, 12:07 AM
[and Bob Ross is reborn.................:lol::lol::lol:]

dreamz
02-05-2007, 12:11 AM
thank you! I only wish I was half that good (or even a 1/4)

Lulu
02-05-2007, 03:20 AM
looking good Doc! love the light in it .............and as always, your humour!

idcrisis55
02-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Looking good, Doc. I really like where you are going with "Yellow" Can I offer a suggestion (or two?) I noticed the separation between the background trees are almost equidistant and the same height. Do you think varying the spaces between and the height would make the background a more interesting place to explore?

dreamz
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Ann, when I walked into the studio this morning, I thought almost the same thing. That and the foreground grasses form an arrow out of the view. I'll tinker with both ..

Thank you both for commenting

Tazart
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Oooh lovely & bright, love the pink clouds & purple flowers - look forward to seeing the finale later on ......

Lady Carol
02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
hey, this is good. Sky colour is awesome and I like how you worked it all round. Very nice Doc.

dreamz
02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank You Carol! But do you have to sound so surprised?:lol: :lol:
Taz, I do believe I'm calling this finished, at least for now, I may rework some of the darks in the background foliage but for now Im going to just let it stare at me for a few days and see what it says..

This first shot is outside by my outdoor "studio" a bit to chilly to do much out there though at only 50 degrees f (the pole structure w/tarp is the "studio" and picnic area/hottub/storage/dance floor)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_e_001.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/78160-yellow_e_002.jpg
DANG! I just realized there's a fly in the middle of my "river"!!!

The pink and purple flowers still don;t show up as well as they do IRL

velvet
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
This is looking good!! I checked out your other yellow sunset its awesome. Looking forward to the finished product.

Tazart
02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
really nice, I def like the background trees better with a bit of variation - so was it the smell of the paints that attracted the fly :lol: ??? Hope it was dry & he didn't get stuck !!!

What's your verdict on el cheapo paints as you certainly made them look great !?

cedarartworld
02-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Nice work.
Will like to see when it is fully completed.

Interestingly, the fly made it into the picture.

dreamz
02-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Velvet, cedar, Im fairly certain this is done, at least it's not talking to me at the moment.

Taz, I didn't just use the new paints, mainly the lemon yellow and yellow ochre with a bit of emerald green and what they called burnt seianna, which was rather light (it's what I used for the beginning of the land mas'. My primary paints are Winsor&Newton galeria at the moment. The canvas itself doesn;t have an oder but the remains on the pallate still have a lingering smell, the paints themselves although they felt creamy didn't cover well but did work as a glaze. For $5 I got about what I expected:lol:

Nitsa
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
LOL @ pongy paints!
Might I suggest you varnish over the fly and call the piece "FlyFishing"? :evil:
Are you finished?....A couple of highlights in the water maybe?
Love the purple flowers against the yellow. :thumbsup:

tamiboo
02-05-2007, 09:44 PM
To
Oddly enough they STINK! I mean odor wise.. peeeeeeee u! They smell kind of like garlic and onions with cooked cabbage but the paint itself is rather creamy.

I know what you mean about the smell!:rolleyes: I bought a set of those a few months ago and I noticed a different odor from them.......

dreamz
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Gee whiz Tami! thanks for the warning!:lol:

Nits, your right, I didn't add any ripples or water lines! I'll have to correct that, thank you

Paulafv
02-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I thought the fly was on my screen and was trying to kill it with a tissue. Then, I wondered why you painted a fly in the river until I saw your comment it was in the photo. Like your sunny colors.

Tazart
02-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dreamz,

the paints themselves although they felt creamy didn't cover well but did work as a glaze. For $5 I got about what I expected:lol: - Good to know, think I will stick to my odd selection of Liquitex paints for now (odd 'cos I buy colours I like, normally with a 5 year old childs delight at bright, pretty colours :o rather than any serious artistic regard for warm/cool, limited pallette confusing stuff :lol: )

Cool sneak peek of your outdoor area, even at 50 degrees F I think you are showing off - it was 6 degrees F when I took hubby to the station this morning !!! 6 degrees C used to be chilly for me as a Brit !!!

debsn2paintn
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Fly fishing lol! :D

Looks great Doc, looks like a warm summer day!

pakc
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
anyone say anything about the glow....
Yes it glows...nice effect.

dreamz
02-07-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi DEb, thanks for popping in!

Pak, the photo doesn't do it justice, in sunlight its REAL bright

Leslie Pz
02-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow! This is something!!! Can't wait to see more. The doggie paddling fly is quite unusual!!! LOL!

(Fly fishing -- LOL Deb!!!)

dolittle
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, this is great! - I love watching your wip's unfold & I learn from them too. Thanks so much for sharing, Chris

dreamz
02-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Dratted flies! How long does it take to change the zoom setting? 2 seconds maybe? dang fly landed in that time!

Chris, Im glad you enjoy the wips. I enjoy the creative process more than the finished piece.

Andun
02-08-2007, 02:13 AM
I like you painting Doc.Fortunately I've never bought smelly paint but a few folks have said my painting stink! :)

Marge Wms
02-08-2007, 06:55 AM
I like this, dreamz. I'll be watching to see how it comes along. I'm having fun over in the oil forum, but they don't seem as friendly as this bunch! Probably just takes a little longer to get to know them.. Gigi