PDA

View Full Version : The Ginormous Squid

Loki
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2007/9734-ginormous_squid_wetc.jpg

Of all the english neologisms, I find "ginormous" to be the most entertaining... plus, how else could you call a squid so big that dwarfs both the Giant and Colossal species?

I like to work with vectors, they are like modelling with clay, or at least that's how I perceive them... I think I'll make a couple more squid-vector illustrations before moving on to something else, preferably that makes use of the Intuos.

I narrowed the palette quite a bit, previosuly there were jellyfish of five different colors... they looked VERY nice, like a bowl of Froot Loops, but weren't exactly blending with the scene... But now that they are all blue I 'm pleased at how they came out; they look more transparent.

I also like my subs! They reminded of the vehicles in the old 60's Thunderbirds TV series, accordingly, they are all called "Seabee" 1 through 3.

Thanks for looking and I hope you like it; I had tons of fun with this one!
:)

madster
02-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I love the colors and the jellyfish in particular.
This is a delightful image, and well illustrates the term "ginormous" to my eye!

Very well done!
~M

justjean
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Love the bright cheerful colours and the BIG squid :)

meglyman
02-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Excellent work... I love squids! :D

omniartz
02-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow! I really like this! Well done! :)

Yako
02-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Beautiful colors! I would like to see too the version with jellyfish of five different colors...:)

frayling
02-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I agree with everybody lovely cols and design

Loki
02-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks madster, justjean, meglyman, omniartz, yako and frayling for your very kind comments... I tried to make the squid look massive so it would live up to its name.

Here is how the jellyfish look like when rendered in five colors:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/9734-jellyfish_colors_wetc.jpg

I think they look nice, but they were stealing too much focus away from the squid... However, I think they could work in another context that takes into consideration their colorful nature.

The next squid illustration will take the triple of work, but is in essence much simpler than this one... Sorry if I'm boring you with so many cephalopods... I'll switch to bunnies when I get around to using the Wacom.

madster
02-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Anyone can make a bunny.
I like the cephalopods, because they are among the more intelligent creatures on this planet, second only to mammals.

These are wonderful and different. More squid, less bunnies!
I'd love to see what you can do with a chambered Nautilus...

~M

Selahs art
02-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Stunning.
I love the squid.
and the colours.

Retha

green tea
02-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Your vector work is very lively. This piece is killer.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

edart
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
excelent image with stunning colours, makes me want to dig out that Beatles album:clap: