PDA

View Full Version : Matting photographs for shows

RedEquus
02-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm curious to know if there is a "standard" for matting and framing photographs or is it how ever you want to represent your work?

I've been showing paintings and pastels for years so I know the ins and outs of that, but I haven't shown photographs in a few years/decades :eek: , sorry to say. I have the opportunity to show photographs in a photography show in a few weeks at the art association I belong and I want to be correct in my presentation, if there is such a thing.

Thank you, one and all in advance for your wisdom and experience! :thumbsup:

kaleidoscope eyes
02-04-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd say that it's all in the way you wish to present your work. The standard 'rule' for matting is to have a deeper matt on the bottom than on the sides and top.
Good luck with your show and how about posting some images in the Darkroom for us to see? :)

Oldthumbs
02-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Another thing you might want to keep in mind is cost. Using standard photo sizes will allow you to buy ready-made mattes and frames in quantity. If you sell only matted photos, people will want to go to the store and get a stock frame for the matted photo, so standard sizes still make sense. If this cramps your creative style, then who cares? Just matte in whatever fashion complements the photo and don't worry about it. It's just something to think about.

Ray

Windy
02-04-2007, 09:31 PM
There are some standard size ready made mattes which are easier on the hip pocket for framing. Check out your framing shops for sizes.

RedEquus
02-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks one and all for the info. I have the photos on disc,shomewhere in this chaos. :confused: It'll take me a bit to figure out. I'd be interested in feedback, so I will post them, soon.
Janice