PDA

View Full Version : I Have New Digital Gear !

wilderrose
02-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I am a relatively new member to this board and only posted a couple of times before I purchased Painter ix.5 and a Wacom Intuos tablet about two weeks ago. I have been up to my eyeballs since, trying to learn how to run the software.

I am so STOKED! It's just about the coolest thing I have ever done art-wise. I can't get over being able to direct airbrush spray and all the other many, many tools available.

I have only done a couple of very simple drawings so far because I get sidetracked with features and end up "down the rabbit hole" looking for more documentation on things the feature can do.

Needless to say, there is enough to keep me busy for a while just getting my bearings. I really like that I can keep projects going without stringing painting or drawing supplies all over the living room.

I don't envision getting rid of the traditional art supplies. But the software will certainly be a way for me to practice a lot.

Anyway, I have still been in here lurking and reading, still trying to catch up.

Now I have ANOTHER forum to explore! Digital!

Machelle

JCoop
02-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Machelle, Congrats on your new gear! Sounds to me like you're on the right track. Keep exploring and having fun... that's the best way to learn!

Glad you've come out of the shadows.;)

Elainepsq
02-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome, and I'm looking forward to see what you've done with Painter. It is so complex! You are bound to find certain brushes you are comfortable with and show us some great work! Keep at it!

Loki
02-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Welcome!

I'm awestruck by the endless possibilities of digital art, but you do well to keep your brushes around... nothing beats the feel and satisfaction of working traditionally.

Have fun here!

omniartz
02-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Welcome, Machelle! Enjoy your sojourn into digital it is a journey that is rewarding and just plain fun! Looking forward to your posts! :)

justjean
02-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi and welcome to WC, looking forward to your posts :wave:

Yako
02-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Keep going! keep going! :thumbsup: And show us your pieces!
Welcome to this forum!:wave: :)

I love painter ix specially the watercolors

wilderrose
02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
I have been just doodling around mostly, trying all the brushes and figuring out how to work opacity, bleed and such. I cannot seam to get the hang of layer masks yet. Their instructions don't quite get me there, so I am going about looking for a tutorial that will turn on the light.

I tried using the cloning/overpainting feature, just for the fun of it. It is a nice novelty to play with family pictures. But what that feature has also done is made me a bit critical when I look at digital art. It is awfully easy to just sketch or paint over a photo and claim it is yours. But you all know that and have batted it about, so no need to rehash. It just makes me determined to present only my own original art... something to be proud of and happy with the work I put in. If I use a tool, such as FX brushes, I will describe it that way.

I am working on my first "real" drawing with the software. Here is the start.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/98926-Airship.jpg
It's mostly chalk with water wash. I really agonized over the clouds, spent a whole evening on them. Silly huh? The right bottom sort of fell apart depth wise. The sun is, of course, the glow fx brush. It's too orange/yellow, but I am moving forward anyway, counting this as lessons learned and practice. You can see I am just beginning the sketchig of the plane. I toured some aviation sites and got some ideas that I will branch out from but plan to do my own craft without a reference photo, so it will likely end up weird. I don't care yet. I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to flying machines, so it will be easily picked apart for "flyability" when I am done. Just thought it would be fun to play with.

I can't quite land on the right sketching tool. The black lines are scratchboard tool and one of the pencils, forgot which one.

Sorry to blab so much. Will be back in a day or so with the next bit of progress. Anyway, I am having a ball! :D

p.s. Please holler right away if I posted this pic wrong. First time...

barryt
02-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Welcome Machelle. Nice one to start with. Love the plane(s)? Perhaps a touch of sun on the clouds?

wilderrose
02-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the comment, Barry. You said..

Perhaps a touch of sun on the clouds?

Do you mean bring the color to the clouds, as in a highlight or just highlighting in general?

The plane(s) will actually be one plane. The lines you see is me trying to get a both wings roughed in. Plan for the body to be at the center of those lines, almost but not quite horizontal to the frame I have only done animal and people portraits and some landscape drawings until now. This is my first dabbling with a mechanical something. I want the plane tilted so it is as if we are viewing it from above, to the front side of the plane. I may have to break down for a bit and go ahead with using a ref photo of some sort just to get the tilt and perspective. I don't know what possessed me to do this type of drawing. I just all of a sudden got an interest in planes. Maybe it will pass... I do like a challenge, though.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at it.

Back later...

wilderrose
02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Now that I am looking back at this, I think the lines will need to be brought closer vertical, maybe halfway between where they are and vertical. Perspective is too far out on the far end. Oh well, there is all evening tonight to play when I get home from work.

jhercilia
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with Barry and with such an intense sunshine, you would expect that light over the clouds too.
I'm glad you are having fun with this.

wilderrose
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will be working a bit on it this weekend. Will definitely go back and work on the clouds with your suggestions.

I will also be working my way through the video tutorials that came with photoshop. I REALLY don't want to take the time to read directions. Somehow photoshop is supposed to interface with Painter, but I don't know enough about it yet. I need to get hopping. I have ideas in my head that are wanting to be explored.