PDA

View Full Version : My first floral attempt

Andun
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi again:wave:
As a special request from my wife I have painted a floral arrangement for her to say thanks for letting me fill the walls with my attempts at painting.She has been a good sport about it.Usually Japanese houses try to keep the walls free of "clutter"!:lol: Comments and criticism always welcome.This is a new direction for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2007/84252-VFSH0144.JPG

Lady Carol
02-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Beautiful flowers Tone. Well done.

Tazart
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM
the flowers are stunning, a worthy painting for your long suffering wife :) (be warned though - you do too good a job & she might have you painting flowers for the rest of your career :lol: !!!)

only thing I'm wondering is if a darker background might make them stand out even more, although the light green is nice & bright/summery ... either way they are lovely :clap:

Tadema
02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
The flowers are lovely your wife will love them. I concur with Taz, perhaps a backgroung in a nuturalized compliment color.

MaryM.
02-02-2007, 11:01 PM
I love the colors here. A little different but that's what makes it so interesting-- I think it works. What size is this?

Andun
02-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi Carol,Taz,Tadema and Mary,
Sooooo glad you like the flowers.I never did any before.I know exactly what you mean about the background but I am in a bit of a pickle there.The wife wanted to match the opposite wall from where it will hang.Sea foam green wall and yellow cupboards.

Tazart
02-03-2007, 03:12 AM
I know exactly what you mean about the background but I am in a bit of a pickle there.The wife wanted to match the opposite wall from where it will hang.Sea foam green wall and yellow cupboards.

Ah ha, well that is a perfectly good reason for the colour scheme, it really does look good as it is & much more important that your good lady wife is happy :lol: !!!!

Andun
02-03-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks Taz! It doesn't pop but maybe by putting this one in the kitchen I'll get more living room wall space for future works!! (I hope) Hey...maybe I'll do some veggies for the kitchen!

plec
02-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Hello and congratulations on a really good piece of work. I see what others mean about the background colour but I actually like it.
Best wishes, Ken..

Andun
02-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Hey Ken!
Thanks for saying such a nice thing.Are you spending company time in the office checking out the WC posts today?

idcrisis55
02-03-2007, 07:15 AM
The flowers are beautiful Tony. I hope you do more as you painted them so well.

dreamz
02-03-2007, 10:46 AM
They really are rather pretty and once again a far reach from your usual style. I hope your enjoying this looser type of painting seeing as how you do it so well

idylbrush
02-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Lovely piece, have tried to grow these in my yard but they don't seem to last more than a year. In a garden where I am trying to create less work, I have given up on these little guys. I believe these are alstromeria lilies which are lovely. Nicely done and well executed.

chammi kaiser
02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
I like this too. Excellent, especially for a first floral. It's like receiving a commission (not always what what would have chosen i.e. background) but it works and is delightully summery. Your wife must be very happy.

Nitsa
02-03-2007, 03:25 PM
I think you did wondertfully well with your first floral, I sure hope it's not your last! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Very impressive Tony :clap:
I like the comp and the background - and the way you've painted the flowers, so no more to say really ...... except, do more!

And hanging paintings is NOT cluttering up the walls :wink2: :wink2: :lol:

Andun
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Thank you Ann for saying so! I respect your opinion.Maybe...just maybe I'll do another.

Andun
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Doc,
Yup! I'm stretching my legs with this one huh. I liked the freedom of the long strokes but I know I'll go back to the usual soon.

Andun
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Good morning Howard and thank you for dropping by! I don't have a garden here in Japan.Too expensive.Fortunately I live next door to a florist.

Andun
02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi Chammi or should I say Guten Tag!
Actually she was very surprised to see it hung and finished when she came home last night.She didn't think I could do anything so "loose".

Andun
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Nitsa...coming from a lady who makes flowers so beautiful I swear I can smell them that is a real compliment.Thank you!!

Andun
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Good morning Maureen!
Ok....I will (When?...I don't know) I do feel springy when I paint one though!

Nitsa
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
ThankYOU Anthony! :)

Andun
02-04-2007, 02:14 AM
It is a real pleasure ma'am!

plec
02-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Anthoney yes I was, it was a quiet day.
ken.

amaze_1101
02-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Hats off to you for trying something outside your comfort zone. It takes courage especially if you are really comfortable in a different 'chair'.
The way you have rendered the blooms is really quite lovely, a great style, and there is something quite thoughtful about the choice of background colour. Even before I knew it had to match the opposite wall I thought it worked well enough. We all tend to go with what we know works and often miss a golden opportunity to explore new ideas. This is traditional yet contemporary. Well done.

Alison2
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Looks great, so vibrant!

Thanks for sharing.

Alison2:wave:

rmc
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm really impressed with these gorgeous flowers - do more I say -- they are thoughtfully done

C_Line
02-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I agree with all above Tony. I love the background color and you've done SO well for your first floral. I think it needs a more defined focal point. I'd suggest the lower front right flower being it, using the rule of thirds. The petal that's projecting to the right, I'd paint that lightest area that's shaped kinda like a "7" with Titanium White. See how that looks (or you could try this on a separate piece of paper first laying your yellow in and then the white). Then I'd let that dry and lay a very thin wash of transparent yellow over it to get your clear, bright highlight. I'd also try painting the heads of the stamens a bit darker on that one flower - I think it will benefit from more contrasts around the focal point flower.

C_Line
02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
P.S. Tony--please don't take my specifics as being too critical...I just am very impressed with your skill at handling a brand new subject so well...keep up the wonderful work.

Amira
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Anthony - what a gorgeous painting this is. I love all about it, the background works very well for me and gives it a graphic, almost modern feeling.
I sure hope this won't be your only flower painting!

take care,
Amira

Andun
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
So sorry ladies for taking so long to answer all your very kind comments and suggestions:angel: Thank you so much for the ego boost!:D
Elaine:wave: I like the background as well.It does draw away the limelight(pardon the pun) from the lilies though.
Hi Alison2:wave: It is always a pleasure for me to share hereb with such supportive and knowledgeable people.
Ruth and Amira:wave: You really think I should do another floral:confused: Since Cherry blossom time is coming to Japan very soon...how about something using them?
Hi Celeste:wave: What wonderful and precise suggestions:lol: I like those ideas of yours.Let me ponder on them for a while then give them a try.Nothing will look as good as your cobalt vase though!
Thanks again everyone for saying such nice things about my lilies!
Tony:heart: :music:

Andun
02-06-2007, 12:19 AM
Oh yea... Congratulations on your thirs star Celeste! One question though...Why is the ball next to my name glowing green? Some folks with four stars still have a silver ball.

Amira
02-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Since Cherry blossom time is coming to Japan very soon...how about something using them?

Ohhh yes please - I'm sure you'd do great!

C_Line
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Tony! I didn't even notice the third star! Do you get that after making so many posts? I think the ball is green when you're logged in and unlit when not (I think). You're too kind about the vase! I was thinking too - I sure wouldn't try any of my suggestions directly on your lovely painting...that's something to test out separately!

Andun
02-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Amira and hi to you as well Celeste!
End of scholastic year here is such a busy time.I can't wait to be on vacation in Guam on the 24th!!!Sun,sand and surf(not to mention ice cold beer) Ahhhhhh
Ok...I have decided to do a cherry blossom piece as soon as I can get a few good shots of the blossoms.It may take a few weeks.
Celeste,I'll make a color copy of the painting and experiment there first.Good idea?
Tony

C_Line
02-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Amira and hi to you as well Celeste!
End of scholastic year here is such a busy time.I can't wait to be on vacation in Guam on the 24th!!!Sun,sand and surf(not to mention ice cold beer) Ahhhhhh
Ok...I have decided to do a cherry blossom piece as soon as I can get a few good shots of the blossoms.It may take a few weeks.
Celeste,I'll make a color copy of the painting and experiment there first.Good idea?
Tony

Sounds like a good plan!

debsn2paintn
02-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi again:wave:
Usually Japanese houses try to keep the walls free of "clutter"!:lol:

Well that is special then! She must like your work! Very nice flowers, I'm sure she was very happy with them :)

Andun
02-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks Celeste for all the good advice you have been giving me.I appreciate the kindness of folks like you who take their time to help others who need it like me.Domo arigato gozaima****a!

Andun
02-08-2007, 02:11 AM
Hi Deb,
Some she likes but some are not her style.The flowers are passable but have a hospital painting quality she said.(Wonder what that means???)

dreamz
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Theres 2 kinds of hospital art that comes to mind, one is the mass produced decorations most hospitals display, the other is wht's done in rehab. I don't think either apply here. Living with a spouse or significant other who isn't artistic can be vecking, my other halfs usual comments are "oh it's nice" or "the water is yellow":lol: Sometimes the odd offhand comment works to my benefit though, if you check my bambooo thread, she had commented that she didn't like the silhouette style I used on the bamboo so I added some glazes and it really did make the piece that much better

Cherry blossoms are a very traditional oriental type of subject, I hope you decide to have a go at them. Have you considered painting them plein aire (outside from life) ? It's a great learning experince and I'd like to see how you would handle the spontinaity and looseness needed for this style

Andun
02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I know what you mean Doc.Sometimes she says something that does help and I sure can't complain about all the space she allows me to fill.I like looking at the stuff I made.Seeing the earlier stuff helps me improve and as soon as I can see how bad an earlier piece was I take it down and add a new one.
Plein aire huh??? How about a set/ One outside and one from inside and more carefully done?
As for your bamboo Doc...I like the way it turned out.The shading around the sides of the silouhettes look quite realistic.