PDA

View Full Version : Breathe - WIP

TessDB
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
So after holding off a Harry-Potter-Mania panic attack yesterday (pub date was announced yesterday... yay? mmmm, not so much. :cool: ) by repeating to myself over and over "breathe... in with the good, out with the bad" it hit me (like a 2x4 to the head) that the word "breathe" might be a good one to work with. And wouldn't ya know it, it didn't fit well with any of the layouts I already had pretty well figured out. So...

Seeing as how today is St. Brighid's feast day, I'm thinking I'll do *my* version of a Brighid's Cross in the center & the word "Breathe" in the lower area...

So here's where I am. Still pretty rough, but you can get an idea of how I start my carpet pages. Lots of work with the ruler, figuring out how spaces should be divided, and getting an idea of where I want to do knotwork & where breathing room (:lol:) should be...

Size is 9x12 and I hate my scanner. :mad: Next major purchase (like after I win the lottery... :rolleyes: ) is gonna be a larger one. So I'm not stuck scanning larger pieces in ... uh ... pieces.

So pull up a seat, bring some snacks. Maybe even brew a 2nd pot of coffee... This is probably going to take me a bit, but posting helps me stay focused & motivated.

C&c, questions, etc. always encouraged!
Tess

DSPIT
02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I am with ya on the scanner thing. same deally here. cant even do an 8 x 10 for cryin out loud.

ok, pulling up a chair to see how a real master does it. (and I will be taking per snickety notes :p )

Bob

mudslinger
02-02-2007, 04:31 PM
is "persnickety" a euphemism for big pain in the you know what? :p:lol:

TessDB
02-03-2007, 07:30 AM
is "persnickety" a euphemism for big pain in the you know what? :p:lol:

Yup. :D

Glad you're along for the ride, Bob! :wave: Hope to have an update later today or tomorrow... May have goofed it already. :rolleyes: discovering that the space I've alloted for the Brighid's Cross is too small for what I have it mind...

darn it.

So option 1 is seeing if I can scale my idea back enough to have it fit. Option 2 is scrapping this layout completely & going with a different one. Option 3 is sticking with this layout & coming up with something else to go in the middle circle...

Tess

DSPIT
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I understand this problem all to well, lol. as you see, I have not updated my own. i have tried no less then 10 times to design my outer ring, without the success. so now its,
1. continue to try
2. use one thats not exactly what I want but conform to it anyway
3. give up completely, lol (not really an option)
sound familiar?

whatever you decide will be good I am sure.
Bob

CPM
02-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Tess, pulling up the chair. Glad to hear it is not just me keeping the eraser companies in business!
- Chris

TessDB
02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
i have tried no less then 10 times to design my outer ring, without the success.

Argh. I feel your pain, Bob! Pm if you think I can be any help...

Glad to hear it is not just me keeping the eraser companies in business!

And not just the eraser companies, either! I've botched the center so many times now I'm trying it on separate pieces of paper... Scrapping the Brighid's Cross for this one. Idea was *way* too ambitious for the size, and scaling it back just didn't do it. sigh.

I'll update here in a bit... did get the border worked out. Sorta. :rolleyes:
Tess

TessDB
02-05-2007, 08:56 AM
So here's where I am... Fairly sure this is the border design I'm going with, although I may tweak it a bit...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/46497-02.05.07rough.jpg

As you can see, I didn't like my original idea... And I'm not terribly sold on doing a knot in the square 2nd from the bottom. But repeating the bottom square exactly in that one kinda throws the balance of the piece off... So that may get fiddled some in the very near future.

As to what will go in the circles on either side of the big one? still not sure. Those will echo/relate to whatever goes in the middle and that is *still* very much up in the air.

Anyway, through the miracles of photoshop, you can see how what I *do* feel pretty sure about will repeat. Once I've got everything figured out, I'll do all the repeating by hand (with the aid of my trusty lightbox) on my final draft sheet. This is just a middle-stage where I can see if what works as 2 or 3 things together really does what I want it to in the full version...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2007/46497-02.05.07rpt.jpg

hmmm... I may need to fatten those oval/twist things. Stay tuned. This border may *not* be as done as I thought it was... :rolleyes:

Tess

Amira
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi Tess - just wanted to see what you're up to!

I love the 'Breath' idea, I'm sure it'll turn out stunning again!

take care,
Amira

btw: did you see the photos Daniel Radcliffe did to promote the play "Equus"? - Breath!!! :evil:

DSPIT
02-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Tess. this is just mind blowing. I think I am getting a headache just trying to see it all, let alone figure it out. wonderful piece of work.

TessDB
02-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Amira! Thanks for popping in! :wave: And yes, I did see the pics of Daniel Radcliffe... yowza! All I can say? he looked, um, naked with out the glasses & scar... :lol:

Thanks, Bob! Not mind blowing. Just repetitive and eensy details. :evil:

Ok, so I think I've got that central circle figured out... Doesn't resemble a cross of any sort anymore, but I'm pretty happy with it. One of St. Brighid's many names is "Fiery Arrow", & she's the patroness of blacksmiths, poets, midwives, and just about anyone else who brings something into the world through sweat, heat, & strength. Interestingly enough, there was a much older goddess by the same name, with the same attributes... but I digress...

Anyway, I'm hoping that central circle has a "flame" feel...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/46497-02.06.07center.jpg

And here's the photoshopped version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/46497-02.06.07.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm really disliking the border design... It's feeling *way* too dense & congested for what I'm wanting. So I'll save this one to use for something else later. And it's back to the drawing board I go... :rolleyes:

Tess

TessDB
02-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Updating!

Got the border worked out... Mostly. Those fatter bands of interlace are actually 3 bands. And the thinner bands... sigh. There's just no good way to join them & maintain the design. So this is one of those cases where composition rules. Even if my obsessive-compulsive-make-it-one-band-brain is not so quietly jabbering at me. :rolleyes:

Now all that's left to work out is the smaller circles & the corners of the large circle. Shouldn't take me too long. And then add in the lettering. I'm keeping it really simple. Or that's the plan, anyway.

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Tess this is an incredable piece of work and I can not wait to see the finished product. Like always you do some beautiful work. I wish that I could be as good as you are with this. My work is always pretty simple compared to your work. And I struggle so much just to get my simple pieces out. It seem that youjust whip them out like they are nothing to you.

Blessed Be

Brian

TessDB
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Aw jeezzzz.... Nothing like uploading the *wrong* one.

Here's the real thing. :rolleyes: Apparently, it's gonna be one of *those* days.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2007/46497-02.08.07rpt.jpg

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Woooooooooooow!!!!!!! This is really some piece of work are you going to color it Tess?

Blessed Be

brian

TessDB
02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Thank you, Brian!

It seem that you just whip them out like they are nothing to you.

It all comes down to practice. 15 years or so of doing these? And it's only been in the last 3 that it finally "clicked" and I figured out how to stay true to the historical/ancient elements and honor my own vision/modern sensibilities.

Of course, I don't even *attempt* zoomorphic stuff anymore. Mine always turn out too cartoony to be real, and too mild to be direct descendants of the originals... It's on my list of things to figure out...

Tess

TessDB
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
ok... cross-posting officially out of control!

Woooooooooooow!!!!!!! This is really some piece of work are you going to color it Tess?

Yep. I'll do it on drafting film in colored pencil. Getting some ideas of what color goes where, but until I throw the lettering into the mix, I won't know for sure.

Tess

TessDB
02-09-2007, 11:59 AM
:o Simple for the lettering seems to have flown out the window...

Before I do anything more, I need some extra eyes & opinions. Is this even remotely in the realm of readable? I mean, if you didn't know what it's supposed to say, could you still tell? And if not, does it matter?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/46497-Breathe02.09.07a.jpg

Need to decide if this is what I'm going with fairly soon. 'cause wouldn't ya know it, the border no longer works with it! :rolleyes: So the choices are: 1) modify the bottom portion of the border so it *will* work, 2) scrap this and go back to the "simple" plan, or 3) Scrap the layout completely & start over, more or less.

Option 3 isn't all that likely, but if I have to fiddle the border too much more, it'll become more probable...

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
:o Simple for the lettering seems to have flown out the window...

Before I do anything more, I need some extra eyes & opinions. Is this even remotely in the realm of readable? I mean, if you didn't know what it's supposed to say, could you still tell? And if not, does it matter?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2007/46497-Breathe02.09.07a.jpg

Need to decide if this is what I'm going with fairly soon. 'cause wouldn't ya know it, the border no longer works with it! :rolleyes: So the choices are: 1) modify the bottom portion of the border so it *will* work, 2) scrap this and go back to the "simple" plan, or 3) Scrap the layout completely & start over, more or less.

Option 3 isn't all that likely, but if I have to fiddle the border too much more, it'll become more probable...

Tess
Tess I can read it but my mind works in the abstract anyway so maybe I am tnot the right person to give you an answer.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:

Blessed Be

Brian

DSPIT
02-09-2007, 02:17 PM
well. I could tell what it said right away, but that may knot be a good sign either:D my thoughts are, maybe make a couple of copies and play with some ideas with fill. meaning fill some areas, leaving the lettters brighter so they can be seen easier, or the other way around. to me, the spacing between what is the letters, and what is not the letters, makes it difficult.

hope that makes some sense.

Bob

miek37
02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Tess! Maybe I missed it but how big is the actual piece? The design is to die for! I think just black and white would be a knock out, but then again your choice of colors has been wonderful. Happy Friday night!! Helen

miek37
02-09-2007, 09:53 PM
For some reason I also didn't see that you had posted the lettering! Yes I could read it right away. Coloring will probably make it pop even more! Some of the Kells words are pretty hard to make out but then again I really am not (at all) used to reading Latin!!!! At least I am fairly good at reading English!! LOL Helen

TessDB
02-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Brian, Bob, & Helen!

Helen-- overall size is 9x12. That central circle is 4" in diameter & each square of the border is 1 1/2" square...

Ok, as much as I *really* really really like the lettering (La Tene influence run wild :lol: ), I'm saving the idea for a later piece. I played with it some, and it's too abstract. Out of whack with the ... um ... Everything else? :rolleyes:

That & Hubby looked at it, couldn't read it, then once he "got" it, asked me "have you been studying graffiti again?" ouch! And reasonable, logic-man that he is also asked: wasn't this supposed to be a demo for the website? Ah. Um. Yes?

So back to square one on the lettering. Still think I just whip these things out, Brian? :lol: This happens with so many of my designs... Too many ideas in too small of a space. The trick is figuring out which ones won't clash with each other. :cool:

Hope to update later.
Tess

TessDB
02-10-2007, 08:50 AM
*yawn.* Simple, readable, fits well with the overall composition, good for demo purposes on the website. And ... boring. :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/46497-2Breathe.jpg

Yah. Color etc. will punch it up. wooo-hoo. :cool:

Anyway... here it is added into my photoshop rough draft.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2007/46497-02.10.07rpt.jpg

And I am feeling pretty good about the piece as a whole. might make a few slight changes to the border/background on the lower portion. Thinking of joining the fatter bands to the box around the words & in a few spots around the central stuff... haven't decided quite yet.

So just a few odds & ends to go & then the composition part is done. Unless I change my mind or get distracted again. :D

c&c etc.
Tess

DSPIT
02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
It doesnt look ho hum to me. right away I thought, this would really cool as a stained glass (byw, meaning the word, not the whole piece) If it does to you just think of it as the end justifies the means. as when inserted into the whole, it simply looks perfect. and when you do that, there is no way you can even think that the piece as a whole is ho hum. and yes, color would absolutely punch it up.

Bob

TessDB
02-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks, Bob. And yes, the lettering does what it needs to for this piece. And I *am* happy with it as a whole. My imagination/vision/creative impulse is *still* attached to the graffiti/la tene style version, and I'm having trouble letting it go for this one... next piece. Next piece can be lettering gone wild.

So the "odds & ends" are finished. I've started tracing it all onto one piece of paper. At this point, each element is on it's own scrap. :rolleyes: But here's the photoshopped version of the whole.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/46497-02.10.07B.jpg

Let me know if anyone wants detail shots.

I'll post the traced version once it's all done.
Tess

Merry Scribe
02-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Tess this is a fantastic piece of work and I can not waite for its finish. You always do such fantastic work.

Blessed Be
Brian & Annie

TessDB
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Traced version is done. Whew.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2007/46497-02.11.07fin.jpg

I'm not planning on the black part behind the lettering to be black. I do that so when I start on the color, I can tell in the itsy little spots inside the letters (like inside of the "a") what's a band, which band it is, and what isn't.

So color comes next... Stay tuned... might want to put on a 3rd pot of coffee... :D

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Tess I love it and I know that the colors will make it come alive. You and Annie have the same tallent for color. I wish that I did but I do not. Sometimes Annie has to ask me if I am really going to go out side dressed like that because I am not color cordinated. I have already made the third pot of coffee and am waiting.:lol: :lol: :wave:

Blessed Be

Brian & Annie

CPM
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Tess, This is looking great. I am glad you went with the "more readable" lettering. The crispness fits the detail of the overall composition. The other was a bit abstract (I'll admit that without having followed the thread, it would be a bit hard to read without some color or highlight). Watching to see how the color lays in. - Chris

TessDB
02-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks Chris & Brian!

I've started in on the color, Can't tell much of anything at this point. Should have an update by the end of the week, though.

Make yourselves comfy. :wave: Hope someone brought chocolate...

Tess

TessDB
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Ended up not having nearly as much time this week as I thought I would... sigh.

Anyway, there is some progress! Finally! I'm about 7 hours into the color... and if I didn't keep changing my mind & erasing, I'd probably be much much further along. :o

It's kinda schizophrenic at this stage... Haven't hit on how I'm going to make the central flames & the lettering play nicely together. They're competing for attention a bit too much... And I'm probably going to erase (again!) what I've done in those smaller circles... that's one of the benefits of working on the drafting film. It'll let you erase cp down to zero nada zilch an infinite number of times (as long as you don't scratch the surface). Unlike most papers that stain to a certain extent. Or develop holes if you get too aggressive lifting color.

Color is a bit off. (sing it with me! I hate my scanner!) It's a bit too light & the red/oranges aren't quite so obnoxious. :cool:
Anyway, c&c etc.

Tess

Merry Scribe
02-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Tess this is turning out fantastic and beautiful. I love it so far and I can not wait to see the finished product.

Blessed Be

Bria & Annie

Amira
02-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Tess - since you're down to colouring now I feel confident to comment ;)

I LOVE the colours and the way they're working together!

Today has been a very annoying and 'heavy' day, so I'm definitely qualified to report that you're painting really made me breath, it has a wonderfully energizing and soothing effect.

I adore the golden / green bands behind the lettering. And the orange does work for me very well, too.

Thanks!
Amira

DSPIT
02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Looking great Tess. I didnt think the parts seem to be competing with each other. but you know me and detail, to much to often, so its one of my many weak points. I like what ya got going. I really like the thick outline of the text.

miek37
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Tess - Do you use scotch tape to lift off the color pencil or what? The tape has helped me get out of a lot of messes I have created! Helen in NC

TessDB
02-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I love it so far and I can not wait to see the finished product

Thanks, Brian! Hope you're comfortable & have plenty of snacks. There's still a fair bit more to do with this one...

Today has been a very annoying and 'heavy' day, so I'm definitely qualified to report that you're painting really made me breath, it has a wonderfully energizing and soothing effect.

Thank you, Amira! That's exactly what I wanted the color to do. Glad to hear it's working. :D Sending you a pm. :wave:

Bob-- Glad you're liking it. It isn't so much that they're competing too much at this stage, it's just where I think I'm going with the center, it's liable to become a problem... I'm feeling pretty good about it... Usually means I'm about to get over-confident and screw up royally! :lol:

Helen-- I don't usually use scotch tape. I just haven't developed the knack for it. What I'm trying to lift is usually in such tight little spaces poster putty/kneaded erasers work better for me. I can mold them into the shape I need & do it that way (but not on drafting film. sticky stuff can take it's coating off leaving "dead" spaces that won't take any color). I also use a white plastic "click" eraser. As long as it isn't abrasive (the brand I'm using is pentel... cheap & easy to find everywhere and very gentle) the drafting film will let you work & rework & rerework & rererework & go back to what you tried the first time but still hate and try to fix it again and again and again... :lol:

Hope to update soonish...
Tess

TessDB
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Smallish update... it's taken me quite a few test swatches & full-on o-yuck moments to figure out how I'm doing the border. Think I've got it.

Once again, color is a bit off. It's a fair bit lighter/brighter, but the orange/reds are closer to the real thing this time.

C&c, of course. Thanks for looking!
Tess

Amira
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Aaahhhhh... breath in.... and breath out.....

It's still working! :D
Love the green / gold colours. Looks even good in this unfinished state.

take care,
Amira

miek37
02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Tess! Love the swirls in the centerpiece above "Breathe" beautiful shading. Thank you for sharing your work in progress. Helen in NC

TessDB
02-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks, Amira & Helen!

I'm hoping to chisel out some more time to work on it today...

Tess

TessDB
02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Bigger update... been concentrating on the center... Gotta figure out a way to tie it in to the greens of the border. Tricky...

Here's the full view:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/46497-02.23.07.jpg

And here's the center:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/46497-02.23.07Cfront.jpg

Most of what I've done with the center has been on the *back* of the film. So if anyone is curious, here's what the back looks like:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2007/46497-02.23.07Cback.jpg

garish and obnoxious, isn't it? The film is a milky-grey, so anything you do on the back gets muted and toned down. Although it appears I didn't adjust in photoshop correctly... It's a bit lighter than what's showing. Ah well.

I'm feeling pretty durn happy about the whole thing right now. Wanna keep going, but I gotta fly... late for work... hate that. Hit a groove & then I've gotta stop! Aaaarrrrrggghhhh!!!

Anyway. Right. Running late. :cool:
C&c always appreciated!
Tess

Merry Scribe
02-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Tess This is really turning beautiful and I love the fire and the outlining the letters I have ground extra coffee to I can sit up and see the finished product.

Blesssed Be

Brian

DSPIT
02-24-2007, 01:42 AM
wow Tess, thats really nice. I saw you were using drafting film, but I didnt realize it was toothed double sided. Are you using Mylar?
bob

TessDB
02-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Glad you brought more coffee, Brian! It shouldn't be too much longer now... Hopefully by the end of this coming week? Which means this is a landspeed record for me... An entire piece, start to finish, in about a month. :eek:

Yep, it's mylar, Bob! Dura-lar matte, double sided to be precise. I'm in love with the stuff. Have I mentioned it's fast? :lol: That blue in the background is actually a separate sheet of paper, that's a truly truly painfully bright blue. But comes through the film *so* nicely...

Just for giggles, here's some scans of the center with different backings. 1st one is with just the white lid of the scanner. 2nd is with black paper as the backing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/46497-CWhite.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2007/46497-Cblack.jpg

I've been working on it with a white backing (easier to see the tight detail areas), then slipping the black under it to check values (easier for me to see if I'm getting enough light/dark areas), then slipping the blue under it to make sure it still looks good like that.

Hope to have a real update tomorrow...
Thanks for hanging with me!
Tess

miek37
02-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Here goes me, who has NEVER done this work in my WHOLE life giving suggestion to The Master!! What about putting some of the middle lavendar in the middle of each of the knots in the border somehow not too much just enough to balance the center. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work! You should have somebody turn this into needlpoint canvases or embroidery of course, you have your copyrights in place , I hope before someone steals all this and you get NO MONEY! All my best, Helen in NC

TessDB
02-25-2007, 07:28 AM
:o Hardly a master, Helen! :o

Thanks for the suggestion on the purple/lavendar... I'm kinda planning on putting something like that behind the lettering. & letting it creep into the rest of the border is a good idea... just need to figure out how to do it without creating ... gick. :rolleyes: I am a master at creating gick. :lol:

Hope to have an update later today!
Tess

TessDB
02-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Updating!

Thought I'd be closer to done, but attacked the center with an eraser. :rolleyes: Still a bit more to do... If I can arrange the world so I have time to do art for more than 5 min. at a time, I should be done by the end of the week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2007/46497-02.27.07.jpg

The purply-red stuff in the smaller circles isn't quite so ... zingy on the real thing. Couldn't get that adjusted quite right. At least, not without throwing everything else *completely* out of whack. :cool:

c&c etc.
thanks for sticking with me! :wave:
Tess

DSPIT
02-27-2007, 10:48 AM
If I can arrange the world so I have time to do art for more than 5 min. at a time, I should be done by the end of the week.

I hear ya. whats left to do, I dont see any gaps or anything. Looks perfect to my untrained eye.
bob

miek37
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Tess - were you going to bring a bit of lavendar into the border to balance the center? Gorgeous piece! Helen in NC

mudslinger
02-28-2007, 06:29 AM
beautiful piece, tess. nice work!

is "zingy" a word? :D

TessDB
02-28-2007, 07:14 AM
is "zingy" a word?

Yes. Yes it is. Just like "gick" is a highly technical cp term. :lol:

Thanks, Bob, Helen, & Mud.

and about the lilac/purple/violet/something-or-other going into the border... :o Kinda shot myself in the foot. The entire lower left side has been reworked a few too many times (too sharp of a point & too heavy of a hand a few too many times & the matte coating is starting to loosen on me...) & it's *barely* holding the pigment at this stage... If I add (or try to take away) anything more I'm fairly certain it'll kill the piece. So... I'm hoping getting the background of the lettering done in a pinky-purply sorta thing & finishing up the center with the same thing will be enough...

Stay tuned!
Tess

miek37
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Tess! You're so right! Less is better right now, in fact, the lesser you do the more done you are!!! How gorgeous a piece! When I see it I actually do take a long deep breath in and slowly let it out - the relaxation just from that simple activity is astounding! Good therapy too! How about a series of words now. Helen in NC

adam323638
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
I love it Tess, Absolutly amazing :clap:

TessDB
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Adam & Helen!

Moving fast... running late. Again. Fate is conspiring against me getting this thing done. Between a hubby with strep throat & employee (only full-time one. Ack!) with bronchitis, I'm wondering if I'll get the thrill of having both at the same time. :cool:

Anyway. Really really almost there. Need to re-work the knots on either side of the center. The idea was if I couldn't pull the center into the border, maybe I should bring the border into the center. Not thrilled with how I did it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2007/46497-03.02.07almost.jpg

Like always, C&C happily accepted. I'm off like a dirty shirt. :wave:
Tess

DSPIT
03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Tess, hope you stay well. sounds icky. well I think the piece looks great. I dont understand what your saying about the border and how it applies to the center so I will just watch and shut up.
bob

TessDB
03-04-2007, 08:00 AM
I dont understand what your saying about the border and how it applies to the center

The parts I'm not happy with are the knots around the smaller spiral/flame thingies. It was supposed to be a duller/darker version of what's in the center of the border knots. What didn't occur to me (until I stepped back to look at it) is a duller/darker version of that is also icky-baby-diaper green. blech.

No time yesterday... Soon as I get just a bit more coffee in me I'm attacking it with an eraser & putting in ... um... hang on... don't know yet. And then I do believe I'm done!

Tess

TessDB
03-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Am I done? The drafting film seems to think so... :cool: I could probably tweak & fuss & fiddle until the end of time. Good thing the drafting film knows when to quit, even if *I* don't. :lol: And because my mom says if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, I'll shut up & post the thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2007/46497-03.05.07a.jpg

The color is pretty close to right. I may see if I can get a pic of it later today... Let me know if anyone wants some detail images or to see what's going on with the back of the film.

C&c etc. Gonna cross-post in cp now, so feel free to visit over there & see what those folks have to say. Thanks for sticking with me! :wave:

Tess

DSPIT
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow Tess, thanx for the ride. Great finish. all done, take a ...........breath. :D

TessDB
03-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks, Bob!

There's lots of things I wish I had done differently... Think I'm going to try some ACEO's, and see if what I wish I had done differently would actually work.

Glad you stuck with me! :wave:
Tess

miek37
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Tess! Congrats on what I think is a beautifully done piece of work! I agree, it has been a wonderful ride and can't wait to see what you do next and thanks for taking us all along with you! What a wonderful way to get to learn new things and watch a real pro at work! All my best, Helen in NC

TessDB
03-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Helen!

I'm taking a break from big pieces... been promising myself I'd figure out how to do ACEO's and test the waters on ebay. And I'm planning at *least* one more tutorial soonish (no Amira-- if you're reading this I am *NOT* stalling on the website. Swear I'm not. Honest. :lol: )...

Spray, sign, & frame... And add it to the growing inventory of work. Slowly but surely I'm getting enough pieces to start doing the art show thing... It's an awfully empty looking tent right now. :rolleyes:

Tess

miek37
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Tess! Bear with me here - I can't find what "ACEO"s (is that correct) are???
Also, do you put glass over your piece when you frame it. I ask, because I use a polymer finish (Mod-Podge) on my CP work on illustration board and don't have to use glass as the finished piece looks like it has been varnished. Again, thanks for all you share with us! Keep warm and keep the coffee pot going! Helen in NC

TessDB
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
ACEO = Art Cards Editions & Originals. In a nutshell, they're tiny. 2 1/5 x 3 1/5 inches. Baseball card size. And they sell like crazy for some folks. I'm thinking they'll be a quick, fairly easy way to see if my stuff is a tiny little niche or carry an appeal for a wider audience. That's the theory, anyway. :rolleyes:

The miniatures forum has a sub-forum for ACEO's & ATC's (artist trading cards-- meant to be swapped, not sold, but size constraints are the same). What some folks are able to do in an itsy little space is just amazing? Insane? Bit of both? :lol:

I'm hoping to knock some out over the weekend. I'll post 'em if I don't decide they ... uh ... reek. :cool:

Tess

Amira
03-08-2007, 05:25 AM
(no Amira-- if you're reading this I am *NOT* stalling on the website. Swear I'm not. Honest. :lol: )...

Sure I'm reading along - and thanks for the info, so I don't have to gently nudge you ... this week... :evil: :angel:

Ehmm... you really plan to do this intricate work as an ACEO?
ARE YOU CRAZY???
(sorry...)

big hug,
Amira

TessDB
03-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Ehmm... you really plan to do this intricate work as an ACEO?
ARE YOU CRAZY???

Yep. :D :lol:

It's not that insane, Amira. Really. Those smaller spiral-y flame things? those are only 2in. in diameter... and each of the squares? those are 1 1/2". So I'm already working that small. I just have to learn how to restrain the amount of stuff I try to cram into it. Just so you see I am getting closer, here's the To-Do list for the website: I need to get *at least* 2 more 5x7's finished (ehrm, started & finished. :o ), write an artist's statement, and figure out how much $ I'd sell these things for. That's part of what I'm hoping the ebay experiment will tell me.

Helen? So sorry... I just realized I didn't answer one of your questions last night! So yes, I do frame under glass. I spray with a UV blocking fixative, too. There are a few folks over in cp who are working out ways to frame without glass... Mostly they're working on sanded surfaces & use a varnish to seal... I guess my concern with the Modge Podge would be that while it seals the work, will it help the cp resist fading?

Tess

miek37
03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Tess! Good morning! For the past 7 years I have been producing "little pictures" in colored pencil on Crescent mat board they measure 2.50"x3.50". The local frame shop makes my frames from Larson Juhls moldings that they would (or might) throw away:thumbsup: and I pay them $5.00 a frame. At first I was using glass but the Mod-Podge has done the job - so far. I have produced 210 "little pictures" sold them all:clap: !!!! The locally owned art store here shows and sells them in their adjacent gallery. I do commissions as well. www.geocities.com/miek37/Paintings.html is my web site for now and sorry to say is a bit out of date. Helen Scott's Paintings By Design is the name of it. Need to get over to the miniature site too. Helen

TessDB
03-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Helen-- definitely wander into the miniature forum. And congrats on the sales!

Tess