PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Acrylic Ink"... Anyone use it? How?

Mizzle
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi, everyone. I haven't posted in a while, computer has been down. :(
Anyhow, I keep hearing about Acrylic Inks, and I am wondering what all the fuss is about. Does anyone know if they would work well for sort of whimsical renderings and illustrations, using the Acrylic Ink (preferably black) as I would use India ink, and then doing a wash of watercolor or a wash of Acrylic paint over top? Typically, I paint using Acrylic or Oil, and I have used India Ink from time to time, and rarely use Watercolors. I'm looking for something that won't bleed when water is used on top, and I'm thinking Acrylic Ink might be the thing. Does it come in a pen that I can carry around? Can I use it on paper? I do a lot of pen & ink sketches on the go, but I want something water-fast (is that a word, LOL?). Oh, and would this ink be good to use on smaller pieces? Say, 8" x 12" ?
If anyone uses Acrylic Ink and has an opinion, good or bad, or suggestions, preferred brands, any and all info is appreciated. Thanks for sharing.
---- J.

Nitsa
02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi Mizzle:wave:

There was a classroom run by Maureen on acrylic inks last year that may be helpful, you can find it HERE! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285864)

Maureen paints with acrylic inks quite often and I believe she uses watercolour paper as her surafce, which make the answer to your paper question YES! :thumbsup:

I recently painted a canvas using inks with a knife application you can find HERE! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393962)

Hope that helps!

Mizzle
02-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Nitsa. Enjoyed your Shoe series as well. And Maureen's post was very helpful. Makes me wanna go out and buy some Acrylic Ink this minute! Ah well, Tis the Season of Tax Returns, so soon I can...
Of course, after learning more about the Inks, I have more questions... Namely, what kind of pen can the inks be used with? A calligraphy pen, such as one would use for India Ink? Thanks.

gurleygirl
02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Great questions! Looking forward to learning more on this myself!
Tracey

Charlie's Mum
02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Mizzle - Maureen here:D

I usually - almost always - use the inks with brushes - certainly you could use a pen - I use an ordinary dip pen when needed ......... don't know why you'd want to substitute acrylic inkfor the Indian if the Indian ink does what you want!

For me, the joy of the inks are their colours and near-permanence .... don't fade like w/colours.
I'll be back if I can help more :D