PDA

View Full Version : Me :)

shalpin
02-02-2007, 03:00 AM
Self portrait in GIMP. There's a 'making of' video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/412500/portrait_with_gimp/)too :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2007/97940-end_slide.600.jpg

green tea
02-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Outstanding! Thanks for posting the video, these are a great help to me, and very inspiring.
I browsed through your work on Deviant, talent bro, I love the drawing, particularly "proof positive"
Kevin

justjean
02-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi and welcome to Painters Alley :wave: Your self portrait looks great

barryt
02-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Great portrait, love the composition. Great video too, what is that chart that flashes up briefly and why the masking?

Skinny
02-02-2007, 07:53 AM
super!

LadyAlba
02-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Welcome to Painters Alley! :wave: Fantastic painting and the vidio is wonderful you make it look so easy! :thumbsup:

shalpin
02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the encouragement!

Barry: the stuff flashing up briefly is just the menu's for GIMP. I took most of them out, but it started getting a bit tedious. As for the masking, I'm not sure what you mean - there are a few points where it suddenly snaps into focus, but I think that's the keyframing in the codec (and I forgot to hit record on a section in the middle, so there's a jump).

I did use a different layer for foreground and background.

Or perhaps you were wondering "is that your ugly mug, or are you wearing a mask" - in that case, it's my ugly mug :)

LadyAlba: he, he, but it is so easy when you can just keep going over the mistakes and cut & paste bits when your proportions are off. If only the wet stuff was so easy :)

Lucy-Foote
02-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome !!!!! Great Portrait.. and Great Video. I don't know how you did it, but it sure was a great way to show your stages of drawing.:thumbsup:

Lucy

lightfast
02-03-2007, 01:40 AM
welcome rembrandt! brill job, thanks for the video as well.

JCoop
02-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Shalpin, I agree with the others, great work! The object (chair back?) next to your neck is somewhat distracting. Maybe a hint of a shoulder?

omniartz
02-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow! Welcome to WC Digital! Too bad I can't watch the video just have dialup <sigh> no youtube for me! :lol: :)

digistyle
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Nice work! Its always great to see the process!

jhercilia
02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Oh, so that's a chair?! Yes, its distracting.
I like the portrait though.

barryt
02-08-2007, 04:55 AM
No, it wasn't the mug, beautiful as it is :rolleyes: , there were some dotted lines appearing, but not to worry. I do like the portrait. (I thought that was a walking stick in front!)

Annie*M
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Great portrait:thumbsup:

shalpin
02-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks all once again for the encouragement and feedback.

Lucy-Foote: I used some free software, aviscreen (http://www.bobyte.com/), which takes periodic screen shots and converts them to an avi movie file. I tried cleaning it up in Microsoft MovieMaker, but I lost patience :)

lightfast: He, he. You discovered my vanity - I saved some of the early files as rembrandt because I thought a dark background was very RvR like - tell me I deleted any trace of that, otherwise I'll die of embaressment :)

JCoop + jhercilia: I hear what you're saying (I think), but I think I screwed up the angle of the negative space for the neck and positioning of the chair back. Ideally, I'd like to get that right and not have the need for a shoulder suggestion.

barryt: the dotted lines were where I figured I'd screwed up completely and needed to cut & paste to reduce the height <-> width ratio of my face.

Maybe I'll come back to this, but to be honest, I'm having so much fun digitally that what I need is quantity over quality because I learn so much with each new attempt.

TxAggieDarlin
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow, that was special...loved the video....I struggle so much trying to do people and you look like you enjoy it .........