PDA

View Full Version : WIP Can I be Done???

velvet
02-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi there:
Just coming down the home stretch on this one after redoing the front of the church. The photo isn,t the best but enough to give you an idea . Is the foreground to light . I didn,t want it to posie posie-- so I added a vine and a bit of golden rod and put a bit of orange flowers by the water.16 x 20 stretched canvas. Thanks for looking.

Nitsa
02-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Velvet what a beautiful little church and scene, is it nearby you or from your imagination?

I think you're right....the photo isn't the best, so annoying when you can't get a decent photograph isn't it. :mad: Looking beyond the chalky/foggy appearance of the photo I think it's a beautiful scene and you have handled it wonderfully.

velvet
02-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks Nitsa.
Perhaps tomorrow I will get outside to take some pictures IF it stops snowing. This is just made up from about 4 or 5 pics out of books I have. Your comments are appreciated.

chammi kaiser
02-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Velvet. Delightful painting. Very frustrating when the photo doesn't show the real thing. There is a nice peaceful feel to this painting. Well done.

idcrisis55
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
You did a lovely job on this painting. I really like the church and the area around it.

velvet
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Thankyou for the wonderful comments. You probably guessed by now I like painting country scenes, especially from an earlier era. I like doing stone buildings and bridges etc. Say!! Can anyone tell me what I could do to add texture to these stones.What product would I need to buy? also I am still using grumbacher student grade paints. Do you think I would do better if I upgrade? Thanks

dreamz
02-02-2007, 12:40 PM
That really is a pastorial scene and you did it very well.

There are all kinds of ways to add texture, perhaps the easiest is to wait until the area is almost dry and use a stipple brush but you can also get a texture medium that thickens the paint or add a little sand to your mix, sawdust, groundup chips of dried paint from your pallette even gypsum dust from wallboard or a touch of plaster of paris. I can't say any of the above would or would not be archival but they are at least fun to play with

faunafan
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
It's beautiful. I could see myself living right next door and going to church there! Sorry, I'm too new at this to be of any help regarding texture or paint quality. I'm still using below student grade!:D But I'm with you. I love this kind of scene and yours is wonderful!

Charlie's Mum
02-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Nice olde-worldly feel - so I think you've achieved your aim!

Personally, I'd consider a painting texture for the stones if it's needed on this size - rather than an additional material .... but that's just MHO! .... like stippling, as doc mentioned, and splatter in light and dark tones ... can be very effective :D

velvet
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Thankyou so much for the input.Everything is trial and error isn't it. But when all is said and done its only paint and the objective is enjoyment. A little struggle once in a while just keeps one focused. And guess what? It is snowing again today so no pictures.Take CAre.