PDA

View Full Version : Any Merit to This?

Rich
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I got to playing around with one of my photographs from the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco. I used illustrator and PhotoShop.
I am wondering if you see any glaring things I should work on.

A question too. Is there a secret in saving as an illustrator file and then opening it in PhotoShop for different work? When I do that it reverts back to a bitmap image and will show some jaggies.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2007/1461-tea-garden.jpg

madster
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
What a beautiful image!
What version of illustrator and PS are you using?
Photoshop should be able to open an Illustrator file with no problem, although it does rasterize the image.
If you have Photoshop CS2, you can "place" the .ai file into a PS document as a "Smart Object," which will make it a vector object in it's entirety.

There is no way to import paths into Photoshop, though.

~M

Rich
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks Madster!
You have told me what I needed to know. I figured there was a way to bring a vector into PS! I use the CS2 version for both.

green tea
02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
That's a cool image, nice vibrant colors, and not over detailed. Good job!

Mayymma
02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Nice work,I really like the lighting and the colors :D

omniartz
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Very Nicely Done! Definitely has merit. I use CorelDraw so I'll leave the answers to those that know. :)

Rich
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Kevin, Candice and Kirk! :D

DSPIT
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
great image Rich. Would make a great illo for lots of things I would think.

Madster got you the other answers.

Bob

graemek
02-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Hope this helps

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=317612

Einion
02-03-2007, 08:11 AM
I am wondering if you see any glaring things I should work on.
Okay, well the first thing I'd mention is you could do this entirely in Illustrator if you wanted to: faster, more memory-efficient and often just plain easier.

It's not bad for an early piece - believe me, I've seen worse (many of mine come to mind :lol:) One thing I personally strive for if I were doing detail like in the foliage is to try to keep the level of detail consistent throughout, simpler shapes within irregular 'organic' shapes stick out like sore thumbs to me.

If you wanted to do the bridge as cleanly as possible you might want to look in the tutorial and help files, which show the basics on how to use the minimum number of points for geometric shapes.

A question too. Is there a secret in saving as an illustrator file and then opening it in PhotoShop for different work? When I do that it reverts back to a bitmap image and will show some jaggies.
The link graemek provided above covers everything I think.

Remember: if you're placing and rasterising something, the level of rasterisation is dependant on resolution - for the same dimensions it'll be a lot smoother at 300ppi than at 100ppi.

There is no way to import paths into Photoshop, though.
Uh, yeah, there sorta is: you can just paste 'em! I've used this regularly for years. I know it's not the same as importing multiple shapes still coloured and editable in a single operation, but then you can't have everything :D

Einion

Rich
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bob!
Thanks Graeme for the link!

Thanks Einion for the food for thought and the tips!

GeoBen
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I would say there is considerable merit... a very fine image, in fact, though I agree about reducing the points on the bridge (don't touch the foliage). I disagree about simple vs. complex in the same image. I think the two can (and here do) provide a tension, lacking which, the image would also lack much interest. In fact, i would add some complexity to the sky.

really... i may not be as well versed as some, but i think this is just dandy.

geo.

Einion
02-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I disagree about simple vs. complex in the same image.
Just to clarify, it's not mixing complex and simple/geometric shapes I was referring to, just their use to define the same kind of detail:
...if I were doing detail like in the foliage...
The overall image blends complex forms with something geometric quite well.

Einion

justjean
02-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Lovely :thumbsup:

Rich
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks again everyone for the nice comments and encouragement!

I thought you might be interested in the final image. Here is a photo of the printed 7 x 10 image, framed and hanging on my bathroom wall. I left the glass out for the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2007/1461-bridge.jpg

barryt
02-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I like the way you've brought the foreground forward, and improved the bridge. I like it.