PDA

View Full Version : Learnt my valuable lesson in painting

junipaire
02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Know when you've done enough, because I'm used to only really painting digitally, I recently got some paints and have only done minimalist abstract with shapes and lines.

Today I got the urge to reallt let out and paint some abstact from feeling like a jackson pollock, was amazed at what I had done, I used my new palette knifes and had some great effects of colour, then like an idiot I kept adding paint trying to go to far, it wasn't really of anything , more of an atmoshere mood painting, then I started to paint in the middle something and ruined the whole thing, i tried to use a sponge to erase the face type thing I did but it just spoilt it even further, I'm gutted as it was the best thing I've ever done and can't see myself getting anything as nice done again, in the end I tried to use my sponge and create this white paint over it all to start again, but learnt my first lesson, know when enough is enough , it feels like when you win at a fruit machine and instead of coming away with your winnings you carry on and lose the lot.

No doubt this has happened to alot of beginners, just wished I'd of left it when it looked good.
Now I'm a 8 canvas and probably another 8 in paints down.
Phil

redtreestudio
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Knowing when to stop has always been hard for me too.

There seems to be something inside that keeps saying, "AWWWW... You can do better than that..."

Too often I have found that my response to myself should have been, "No... actually at this stage of the game, I can't..."

I think that's why "IT'S" called experience.

Good luck with your next step...

idcrisis55
02-01-2007, 01:38 PM
It is hard for me too, knowing when to stop. I always have those "why didn't I" feelings so I can relate a lot. The thing is you can and will do something equally as good, if not better, just because of this experience. Good luck and maybe next time you will share when you are at the point that you think it is almost finished.

Lady Carol
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I think even experienced artists have trouble stopping some times. Don't beat yourself up over it. It happens. Knowing when to stop does come with experience and I guess you have learnt some of the value of restraint. And you will paint something awesome again. You just have to hurl the paint around the canvas.

I always gauge when to stop if I am playing rather than painting. Tweaking this, tweaking that, oscillating between colours (minor alterations at best). But recognizing that symptom of the painting is done, took ages for me to achieve.

2bears
02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
It also happens in other areas of life...namely, cooking...when I'm channelling Julia Child. Oh boy, sometimes I have to promise my family to never make that again :)

junipaire
02-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Cheers guys, yes I'm ready to paint again, going get going again tomorrow, got some ideas of some cool new paintings, I hope I can paint what I see in my head.

thanks for the support, I needed it and yeah its a learning curve but one I'm enjoying.

Phil